If an Apple Phone is NOT Announced at MWSF...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boss1, Jan 8, 2007.

1. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

Exit Strategy
    One would need a sound strategy to deal with all the hype surrounding expectations for such a device, and the impact it would have not only on the company but on how consumers and investors perceive Apple.

Like many I am in strong conviction that Apple does have some sort of a phone like or PDA like device in the works. Not so much because of all the speculation and phone related patents filed by Apple, but more so because of the lack of denial of such a device from Apple.

The company has publicly made zero effort (to the best of my knowledge) within the past few weeks to cool down any misconceptions of what direction Apple is NOT headed toward. Think about it, the amount of hype surrounding such a device is only a few hairs short of being broadcast as "Breaking News" 24/7 coverage on Fox News Channel. [To be fair Apple Phone speculation made an appearance on Studio B hosted by Shepard Smith a few days ago]. However all of this and not an ounce or even a one line statement from Apple that there is no such device. And so it's why I believe one to exist, sometimes silence says more truth than words.

Well, now what about all the talk about such a device not being ready for MWSF 07? This might also be very true. So how will we deal with a product in the works that may not be ready for MWSF? Tricky, but it might pan out like this. Announcements are made for more plausible MWSF products (iTV, leopord etc) and in regard to the Apple Phone..."by the way, a lot of people have made wild speculation of what other uses an iPod could provide, some of them wilder than others (chuckle). We have been exploring communication devices in very innovative ways and we are going to be revealing those things very very soon."

Not only would such a statement save face for a company almost expected to deliver such a device but a statement alone that reveals not much at all. By not much at all I mean not to revealing for would be copy cat companies or potential rivals such as Motorola, Nokia, Palm, Blackberry etc., However revealing enough to keep the fans satisfied. Well, at least satisfied in a manner that would have many forum readers speculating as to what that statement meant for another month :rolleyes:

Thoughts?

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Honestly the best strategy for Apple to adopt is to not comment about future products at all. The discussion of such products or developments does nothing to reduce the speculation and discussion (as demonstrated with the iTV) and only allows competitors time to adjust their strategies and products to compete better with Apple. Honestly I'm amazed that Apple showed the iTV before it was ready for the market. I can only guess that they did it because they wanted to demonstrate that they are thinking about getting Apple computers into the livingroom.

3. brightlights macrumors regular

It's standard practice never to comment on rumors... It can't be read either way.

Plus, it's not exactly like the whole world is expecting an Apple phone tomorrow, just the macheads. If/when Apple do launch a phone they will be aiming for the much bigger iPod market that has no idea what is going on tomorrow.

4. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

NONE of the "hype" has come from Apple.. it has all come from rumour sites and Analysts who get 90% of their predictions wrong.

5. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I plan to take my own life if Apple does not release a phone tomorrow.

6. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Are you sure you want to do that? Even if we don't get an iPhone, we do get iTV, and

[spoilers]you didn't hear this from me, but...I hear there's going to be a new iFi, that downloads the internet directly into your brain. ;) Apple's biggest secret. [/spoilers]

7. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

that's the new "think different" :D

8. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

rumour sites? what rumour sites? :p

Really, i think apple loves the hype and rumours, and feeds off it.

9. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

There can't be many news websites that haven't mentioned iPhone at least once. I know BBC have, and all IT/tech related ones like The Register will have many times over - so I'd say it's reasonable to believe that a lot of people are expecting an Apple phone today (or soon if they don't know/care about MWSF), not just Apple fans.

10. yagran macrumors 6502a

stop mentioning that the apple phone might not come out! be +tive! if everyone says ring ring ring ring ring all the way through the keynote surely he'd have no choice but to tell us what the deal with the phone is!:) :) :)

11. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

12. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

Yeah, especially on rumors. The type of threads that say something like:

I know a guy that works for xxxxxx and he said the new xxxxxxxxxxx will have xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Then it comes out and its completely different than the "guy" in the know said it would be. :p

EDIT: I am still waiting for the front facing camera on the iPhone 3G!!!!!

13. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I guess that makes this photo hilarious...?

[​IMG]

14. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

lol@ thinking a new model would be announced so soon.

silly kids.

15. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

Did you actually read the date of the thread? :eek:

silly kids.

16. gibbz macrumors 68030

Slam a Thread FAIL