If anyone knows anything about PC's, please help

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by fatandlazy11, Aug 4, 2006.

1. fatandlazy11 macrumors member

fatandlazy11

Hello. I have a friend who i slooking for a cheap used laptop. I tried to talk her into getting a Mac, but she still wants a windows laptop. I've used plenty of windows machines, so i know which OS works and which doesn't. She wants to find a machine with Windows XP, a 60 GB hard drive, and at least a 1.6 GHz processorm, all for undr $150. I told her that this was nearly impossible, and i suggested a cheaper and stabler OS, Windows 98SE. Since she told me she just wanted to internet, and maybe have a little music, 98SE seemed like a good choice. I found one on ebay for $120, but she refuses to acept it. I told her she doesnt need a 60 GB gard drive, a 10 or 15, tops. But she won't listen. anyone else got any good reasons why she should take the 98SE?:confused:

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Windows98??

I can't think of a single legit reason to go with Windows98.
    She's massively limiting her computing by saddling herself with such an OLD OS.

While her requirements are pretty outlandish for the price of $150, I'd definitely not let her get an outmoded, depricated, unsupported OS.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No. There are no good reasons. XP may not be the greatest, but it is a lot more stable than 98.

4. bradc macrumors 6502

Microsoft officially dropped support for Windows 98. Windows XP is very stable as long as you're smart about what you do. I think your advice of 10-15gb hard drive is 'wrong'. Back in 1997 I had an HP with a 12gb, that's NINE years ago. The XP installation is what, around 2gigs, plus Microsoft Office -another 2gigs? . I think a 40gb hard drive is your best bet.

EDIT: Not too mention a 10-15gb hard drive is pretty old and probably runs at 4700rpm:( Slllloww

5. reh macrumors 6502a

Does she even want your help? From the sound of it, I'd say not.

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Say "seeya".

7. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Has she ever bought a computer before? Those specs at under $150? I don't think so. Tell her to read this. And this.

8. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Just give her an old Powerbook and see what happens.

9. fatandlazy11 thread starter macrumors member

fatandlazy11

Windows XP is stable?! Ha. Ha ha. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha . I must laugh at you. I own 13 obsolete and non obsolete computers altogether. This by6 no means, makes me an expert, but i have owned windows computers with evry OS since 3.1. In my day, as a kid, Windows 95 was the best thing ever. then came out 98, witha hell of a lot of bugs, but most of them corrected in 98SE. ME came out, and we all know how good that peice of crap was. 2000 is good, but ive had a good deal of problems. But windows XP? I don't think so. I still currently own an XP machine, although I only use it for gaming, since pretty much everything else i do I can do on my iMac G3, with good old 8.6. I have had the motherboard replaced twice, the sound card replaced twice, the video card replaced once. My 98 SE lacks an ethernet card, (or it had one, but i don't know what the hell I did with it...) so I can't use it for the internet. my 95 has an ethernet card. but the motherboard was bent badly during shipping, so neither it nor the sound card ever worked. And I know Windows 3.1 cant do ****. in my experiance, 98 SE is the best. Hell, The computer it's on is GENARIC. Stable? Windows XP? I can't count how many times I have had that thing in the shop for viruses. (And don't even dare recomend a good anti virus software. Ive got one and its not nortan)

So, I close my rant, with a few parting words. WINDOWS XP SUCKS

Thank You

10. mannix87 macrumors 6502

don't forget, you cant install iTunes on a Win98.

11. reh macrumors 6502a

Also, don't forget that throwing a hissy fit when people are trying to offer advice and opinions is not the best way to get results.

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

XP is better then 98.. and 98 has SO much less support... she could try Linux

13. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

You're blaming hardware problems on the OS. I've got 98SE on another computer round here, and it's pretty dire. If you've got XP SP2 fully patched, you really won't have any problems. I have as few problems on my PC as I do on my Mac.

14. stunna macrumors member

I'd take a look at ebay.

I doubt you will be able to find a laptop with 60GB HD and 1.6ghz at 150 dollars
    try 350 dollars.

15. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

16. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

exactly, as long as you're not retarded with internet flash ads or links, you'll be perfectly fine. In fact, I've had to restart my PowerMac G4 more times since i got it than my HP has all summer.

Now, back on topic...
    I doubt you'll find anything like that working but If you want a good brand of old laptop to go with, I'd say go for an older Thinkpad. You can pick one up pretty cheap on ebay, and it'll be very productive. Plus, on a thinkpad, changing the harddrive is simple as removing a screw and pulling out the caddy. So if this friend were to come across a 60GB drive, popping it in would be so effortless that its not worth searching for a better unit. And at 150 dollars? you're looking at a longshot

17. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Lets see....for $150 she could be the proud owner of a nice 400mHz Pentium 2 system with 128MB of RAm and and 8-12 GB hard drive. It will run XP like a dog, take 5 minutes to boot, but it will be better than 98 for 2 reasons: security is (sadly) better and networking is worlds easier.

18. tobio macrumors regular

tobio

I use win98 where possible in virtual PC (on the mac) and I can say that it's one and only saving grace over winXP is that it needs less RAM and hard drive space to run. That is it.

win98 likes 64 meg of ram, XP likes 512