If Apple made...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by asif3, Mar 30, 2004.

1. asif3 macrumors member

I thinkt hat if Apple made network cables, I would end up buying them. They wouldnt need to do much to sell them to me, just put a little Apple logo on them, make sure they're gigabit, and I'm sold! I would pay a premium on the price just becuase they're made by Apple. I think I just have a soft spot for Apple cables - they're just soo cool. Is it just me, or is this a shared attitude? i.e. the Modem cables, the Power chargers, even the video cables!

Would you buy Apple branded network cables, even if they were more expensive?

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I don't know mate, those would have to be some pretty fancy cables for me to buy them at a premium because Apple had decided (once more) that their user base was willing to pay a premium, except now it would just be for a strand of metal... :rolleyes:

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

actually, i would buy them. First off, ethernet (especially high-speed) is greatly affected by the quality of the cable itself. Poor cables can have lifespans of less than a year before they get unreliable. It's awful. I've always wondered why Apple didn't throw in an ethernet cable with their logo on it... It's so satisfying to plug an Apple cable into the back of a Mac... it just looks right. My favorite so far would probably be the CRT power cord, translucent gray housing with multicolored cables twisted inside. Very nice.

On the other hand, the FW cord that shipped with the iPod was simply awful. i have to go get a new one this week, i'm reminded. It will not be Apple, it'll be whatever's cheap and thick...

paul

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I wouldn't pay a penny extra just for Apple to stick their logo on a bit of cable, when the chances are you could get exactly the same thing (quality wise) else where for half the price!

5. asif3 thread starter macrumors member

I see your points, it might just be becuase I am a bit ofmac show off. :D

We have guests coming round every week, and most relatives come here when they have comp problems. I just hook it up to the network and they're amazed at how easy it all is. I've got used to people coming over to my powerbook and saying 'oooh, isnt that nice' and I'm thinking 'yeah, it is actually :p'.

I'll be honest, I went to 'Micro Anvika', a popular computer and mac shop here in the UK, I ended up paying like £10.49 for a 2m ethernet cable, and I dont know why. Does gigabit ethernet cable cost more or something?

edit: typo

6. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

heck no!... well maybe if I needed a noose so as to go out with some style! :rolleyes:

7. arsbanned macrumors newbie

8. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

I don't know that I would buy it but I just love the white, clean, apple branded cables. I dunno..... there's just somthing about them.... just..... ya know... ;)

9. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Apple should ship every Mac with an ethernet cable since most people will use it. You can even connect 2 Macs together with a regular ethernet cable. That would be great for data transfer to the new machine!

10. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Apple should make a hub, make a nice anodized shell to match the G5, or white for iBooks, iMacs, and eMacs, that would be nice. Of course they should price it at $50.

11. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

12. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i wouldn't buy it. it's just another bit of money they can put on the box. plus, as long as it works, i don't care what brand it is.

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'd rather go buy a cable that had Belkin on it. I'd be certain of great quality for a reasonable price. Besides, they give you colour choices.

14. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002

Attached Files:

15. Opteron macrumors 6502

If that were the case for all people Apple would have been out of business long ago:p

16. asif3 thread starter macrumors member

That is one heck of a nice cable dude! I may have to get a few shipped over here to the UK.

I'm regretting wireless now. It's OK I suppose, but even with three airport extremes in the house it's incredibly slugglish for file transfers. I;ve been thinking about putting gigabit ethernet sockets in and around the house. Now I have to search for gold boxes to match the plug sockets in some parts of the house :-/

Ahh...the Joys of managing 8 computers :rolleyes:

17. Danrose1977 macrumors regular

Danrose1977

Count yourself lucky, I'm responsible for 12500 machines running a mixture of Linux, Win NT, Win 2000 and Win2003.... I hate them

But, our art department has four g5 powermacs.... I like them

Regarding cables, I think that apples policy is to push for increased wireless use... I suppose they could manufacture cables to ship with Xserves and sell some on the site though.

18. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

very very few things apple sells are made by them. all they really make are the enclosures they put the hardware inside. apple simply buys hardware from a bunch of other companies and assembles it together inside an enclosure. you're really just buying someone else's stuff with an apple logo.

i'm not saying there is anything wrong with this at all. just responding to the comments about apple ethernet cables and such..

19. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

many companies do this anyway. compaq, dell, etc. etc.

20. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

I don't know, I think this is taking Apple fandom too far. I'd prefer to just choose a good cable myself rather than have Apple re-brand another manufacturer's cables.

21. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

just remember on g-bit ethernet, your hard drives can only write about around 40 mb/s considering you have a good speed hard drive. still the benefits of gigabyte are nice. it is great for video and music files, especially if you backup every night.

22. asif3 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I know it's a bit of a limiting factor. I am planning on backing up all of the PC's at around midnight daily - to a spare server. Then, I am going to get the server to copy that data to an iomega external 250gb HD at say maybe 6am. All our relatives have backups here anyway becuase it's here they come first when their comp goes belly up!

hmmm..world computer denomination, one step closer :D

23. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Too far indeed. I can see it now...

Still don't have my new Mac connected to my network. Waiting on the new Apple Ethernet cable rumored to be announced next Tuesday. I hope they ship it immediately and not make me wait 2 months.

24. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

Exactly, that is why i get so pi***d off when people say it is apple's fault ibooks dont work and it is apple's fault this and that. It aint there fault!

25. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It is their fault. They choose the components and packge the product. If it doesn't work it is down to them to sort it out, even is that then means them coming down on their vendors, it is still their responsibility.