Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
That was the other thing - rooting. I've jailbroken my iPhone once or twice - wasted some money and proceeded to crawl back to the safe confines of stock iOS. Rooting seemed slightly more difficult than jailbreaking and therefore lost my interest....did I miss some website that walks you through it/makes it simple?

(granted I used an N7 - still flashing custom ROMs and such seemed too involved for me - timewise.)

No root required to install LauncherPro or Nova Prime.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Yup, there are free and paid versions.

Sweet - I'm actually looking more into the Nexus 4. My main gripe with the N7 was the lack of tablet optimized apps and as I wasn't ready for an Android device being my go-to I sold it and received an iPad mini for Christmas.

When it's in stock (if ever) the N4 would be the perfect Android test phone. I've read some good things about it and I could go with stock Android and not have to worry about any carrier/manufacturer nonsense.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Sweet - I'm actually looking more into the Nexus 4. My main gripe with the N7 was the lack of tablet optimized apps and as I wasn't ready for an Android device being my go-to I sold it and received an iPad mini for Christmas.

When it's in stock (if ever) the N4 would be the perfect Android test phone. I've read some good things about it and I could go with stock Android and not have to worry about any carrier/manufacturer nonsense.

I used the Nexus 4 as my Android test phone and ended up loving it.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1498227/

Ericcc

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Montreal
Getting my itunes music onto it was a huge pain. I read online that android lets you plug the phone into a computer as a USB drive and drag/drop music that way (which is what I always wanted because I don't like syncing). Well, that option is not available in the GS3. Only MTP and PTP. And neither option worked with android file transfer. Tried airdroid. Didn't work in Safari, and in Chrome I could only transfer one song at a time. Tried doubletwist. Doesn't work with GS3 since it lacks USB mass storage mode, and airsync costs money. Tried using google play, but that took forever to upload songs. Finally used Kies (which is a POS software that makes my macbook heat up whenever it's open) and imported my itunes playlist to it and then synced it to the phone. But then I thought, isn't this just Samsung's version of itunes/sync? What the hell did I accomplish by switching to android? Went from one closed garden to a different one. Only the new one happens to be complete ****. I also don't like how the GS3 has the power button on the side of the phone, right where you grip it. How is this even logical? Turned it off so many times just holding it or flipping to landscape.

I really don't regret returning it. Only thing I miss is that big, beautiful screen. I appreciate that you can upgrade the storage with a SD card (big fail on Apple's part), but given how hard it is to connect the phone to my computer just to see its internal storage, I don't know how I'd even make use of it.

Sorry to hear you had such difficulties with it... Knowing that, I don't blame you for giving up lol. For future ref regarding AirDroid, what you do is upload a single folder of however many files you want, and then drag and drop once it's on the phone. Works in Chrome and Safari for me. Also, you can install a custom launcher that can hide carrier bloat software from your phone.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
I look at the total experience in my phone choice. It would take major change for me to prefer an iPhone over Android. I'm using both right now, but I just use the iPhone as my travel phone with prepaid SIM cards in other countries.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I just switched from an i4 to GS3 yesterday for the big AMOLED and promise of superior android OS. Returned the phone today and went back to the i4.

Android/GS3 issues aside (seriously, why the **** can't this thing connect to a mac over USB?), the screen really was lovely. Far superior to any LCD. Colors were rich, blacks were infinitely deep and inky, motion was smooth, and everything was just so much easier to see due to the 4.8 size. Playing videos side by side with the two phones, the i4 looked like a cheap joke. Videos on the GS3 reminded me of a Pioneer Kuro plasma in the palm of my hand.

Other than that, the GS3 was not impressive, and I didn't like the cheap feel and carrier branding all over the phone/boot screen and the nonremovable crapware. That stuff gives me the feeling that it's not my phone but rather the carrier's phone, and I'm just using it. I didn't see that many options in the OS that I was led to believe either. I guess you have to root the phone and install custom ROM in order to tinker with every aspect of the phone.

Anyway, that's for another thread. I'm keeping my i4 for now and don't feel like upgrading to a new iphone until Apple makes something around 4.5" and with AMOLED.
I connect my GS3 to my MacBook Pro daily without any problems. Android File Transfer works as promised without a hitch. Your GS3 screen has to be on in order for this to work.

As far as bloatware, it has it's share but you can delete any app at will, unlike iOS where you're stuck with Apple apps like it or not.

Airplay sync in my opinion is highly overrated if you own a Mac/Apple TV/iPad. I don't need my photos to sync with all of my devices because Dropbox does this easily, and as promised.

Overall I love Android, and have moved on to the Nexus 4, and will be passing my GS3 down. Sorry it didn't work for you. It's certainly not for everyone.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Serious question - where do these "other apps" come from and what do they do that they either wouldn't have an equivalent on the app store or wouldn't be allowed there?

Sometimes developer websites, and some are torrent download apps to get music, movies, videos, all for free without having to bother with iTunes.

There are alternate keyboards, sms apps, alternate camera apps, home screens, live wallpaper, all sorts of apps around but Apple would let you get.

----------

I just switched from an i4 to GS3 yesterday for the big AMOLED and promise of superior android OS. Returned the phone today and went back to the i4.

Android/GS3 issues aside (seriously, why the **** can't this thing connect to a mac over USB?), the screen really was lovely. Far superior to any LCD. Colors were rich, blacks were infinitely deep and inky, motion was smooth, and everything was just so much easier to see due to the 4.8 size. Playing videos side by side with the two phones, the i4 looked like a cheap joke. Videos on the GS3 reminded me of a Pioneer Kuro plasma in the palm of my hand.

Other than that, the GS3 was not impressive, and I didn't like the cheap feel and carrier branding all over the phone/boot screen and the nonremovable crapware. That stuff gives me the feeling that it's not my phone but rather the carrier's phone, and I'm just using it. I didn't see that many options in the OS that I was led to believe either. I guess you have to root the phone and install custom ROM in order to tinker with every aspect of the phone.

Anyway, that's for another thread. I'm keeping my i4 for now and don't feel like upgrading to a new iphone until Apple makes something around 4.5" and with AMOLED.

Oh the irony of an iPhone user saying a high end android phone didn't feel like it was their phone.

I was where you were, thing is you gotta give it time.

Android is the most advanced mobile operating system around.

Don't like how texts look? Change it.

Camera? Change it.

Don't like the keyboard? Change it.

No rooting required.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I can't stress how nice it is to have a dedicated back button. Using my 3rd gen iPad can be a pain when I have to reach all the way up to the top left corner to go back. Flipboard is a great example. To get back from the story you have to hit the flipboard button upper left. It's quite a reach to have to do it each time, especially when flipping through pages feels so natural only to be interrupted by having to uncomfortably reach up to go back from a story. I'm aware you can flip pages all the way back to the beginning but that's hardly a more convenient solution to going back to your main pages.

Whereas on android you can just tap back. Ditto safari on the iPad. Pain in the butt to reach up to go back. (I also love in chrome when you hit the back button on a site that has nothing to go back to, ie. it's the first page you visited on that tab, the back button automatically closes the tab for you.)

It's the little things. :)

Ps. The more I use my nexus 4 vs using my ipad, the more outdated iOS feels. I constantly have the urge to swipe instead of type on iOS and I still can't believe I can't. I still can't believe the keyboard hasn't changed in 5+ years. I still can't believe I can't long press to get to the "+" sign (and the quote signs) to type out that + in "5+ years" just now.

Luckily i don't demand as much from my tablet usage as i do my smartphone usage so iOS' shortcomings aren't felt as much on my ipad, but may be its time to consider an android tablet too...

Last edited:

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
That was the other thing - rooting. I've jailbroken my iPhone once or twice - wasted some money and proceeded to crawl back to the safe confines of stock iOS. Rooting seemed slightly more difficult than jailbreaking and therefore lost my interest....did I miss some website that walks you through it/makes it simple?

(granted I used an N7 - still flashing custom ROMs and such seemed too involved for me - timewise.)

Rooting is far easier than jailbreaking. I got my N7 a few days ago and the first thing I did after turning it on and making sure it worked was root it. I did it in about 5 minutes. Here's the guide I used. And you don't actually have to manually do the bit where you log into the shell through adb to keep the CWM recovery there either, just boot into recovery after flashing it, select "reboot device", and it'll ask you if you want to run a script to make it stay automatically.

Plus don't forget Nexus devices can be officially bootloader unlocked, so you don't need to hack anything to root them and you don't have to worry about updates breaking root like you do on iPhones.

As for custom ROMs I haven't bothered, rooted stock is great for me.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Rooting is far easier than jailbreaking. I got my N7 a few days ago and the first thing I did after turning it on and making sure it worked was root it. I did it in about 5 minutes. Here's the guide I used. And you don't actually have to manually do the bit where you log into the shell through adb to keep the CWM recovery there either, just boot into recovery after flashing it, select "reboot device", and it'll ask you if you want to run a script to make it stay automatically.

Plus don't forget Nexus devices can be officially bootloader unlocked, so you don't need to hack anything to root them and you don't have to worry about updates breaking root like you do on iPhones.

As for custom ROMs I haven't bothered, rooted stock is great for me.

I run on an iMac at home and my trouble came from finding the right program to root with MacOSX - maybe I just didn't look in the right place.....I can't imagine it being any easier than jailbreaking (the program even counts down how long you should hold down the buttons to put in DFU mode) but if it's just as simple that would be fantastic. I'll have to remember the guide you linked to.

The other thing I had trouble with was backups - I was coming from an Apple point of view where all my backups were automatically done by iCloud when my device was locked and charging - do I need to root to get a proper backup or is it in the Google play store?

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
I run on an iMac at home and my trouble came from finding the right program to root with MacOSX - maybe I just didn't look in the right place.....I can't imagine it being any easier than jailbreaking (the program even counts down how long you should hold down the buttons to put in DFU mode) but if it's just as simple that would be fantastic. I'll have to remember the guide you linked to.

The other thing I had trouble with was backups - I was coming from an Apple point of view where all my backups were automatically done by iCloud when my device was locked and charging - do I need to root to get a proper backup or is it in the Google play store?

You need to root, it's a joke. God forbid you not be an enthusiast (and have no idea what rooting even means) and try and find a backup method for your phone. I can't believe Google still hasn't made a desktop companion app to at least handle full backups. It's so unfriendly to those who aren't all that well versed in tech.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009

I rooted on my MBP through the Terminal, as long as you've already got the Android SDK it's very easy if you follow the simple tutorial.

If you turn backup and restore on, your settings will be automatically backed up and your apps will be reinstalled automatically, and if you sync contacts and calendars to Google you don't have to worry about those either, but anything on the emulated SD card like pictures and videos won't be backed up so you'd have to do that manually. There are apps like Titanium Backup which assist in backing up individual apps and other data locally if you want, and you should also do a nandroid backup especially before flashing ROMs, which is as easy as choosing the backup option in your recovery and will do a full backup of your whole Android install (although again not media in the emulated SD card).

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Pretty good article today on Gizmodo on Android vs iOS written by someone involved the mobile industry. Granted he's not your average joe user, he still makes good points that affect everybody with a smartphone.

http://gizmodo.com/5973073/an-iphone-lovers-confession-i-switched-to-the-nexus-4-completely

This one's better, because it comes from a die hard iOS fan:

Relevant: http://phandroid.com/2013/01/02/for...asaki-talks-more-android-in-latest-interview/

Former Apple Evangelist Guy Kawasaki talks more Android in latest interview

A few weeks back, ReadWrite interviewed Guy Kawasaki — author, publisher, entrepreneur, and most importantly: former Apple evangelist. After years of promoting Apple’s products (you may have seen him in the documentary “Cult of Mac”) turns out Mr. Kawasaki switched over to “team Android,” currently rocking a shiny new Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (before that an S3, and that, a Razr Maxx). Kawasaki’s new motto? “Real men use Android.” In the RW interview Guy went on to say:

“People are kind of amazed, but I don’t use any iOS products, none at all. I fell in love with Android on the smartphone, and then I got a Nexus 7 and started using Android on the tablet as well. To me the great irony is that Apple’s slogan was `Think Different,’ but today if you think different you’re looking at Android.”

Today, in a piece called “This Is How I Work,” Lifehacker was able to get a quick interview with Guy, further pressing him mostly about his work life and products and services he can’t live without. While he still currently uses a MacBook Air to get work done (I, too, am guilty of this), the gadget he says he can’t possibly live without is his Nexus 7. As it turns out, when Apple released the iPad Mini a few months ago, Guy felt Apple’s “me too” tab didn’t offer anything compelling in light of the N7, asking aloud why anyone would want to switch. Great question.

When asked why he made the switch from iOS to Android, he admits that it was originally due to more interesting hardware. The iPhone’s lack of LTE, NFC and multitasking made Android an easy switch for him (despite sticking with Apple’s desktop OS for his computing needs). Now that Apple has finally caught up to Android in some regard with hardware, Guy says it’s simply Android’s superior software that keeps him from moving astray. His favorite Android features?

-Multiple apps running in multiple windows
-Widgets
-Ability to launch files and choose default apps
-Ability to see all your apps in an alphabetical listing no matter what folder they are in
-Ability to pick your keyboard (I use SmartKey)

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.