if apple was for sale, who would you want to have buy them?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Oct 18, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

...or if apple had the money to buy a big computer or software company, who would you want them to buy?

thoughts?

as for suitors for apple, i like sony

as for companies apple would buy, i think it would be cool if apple bought adobe or macromedia

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It's an interesting area for speculation, jef. Sure, I'll play.

If you want a good "culture" match, you could start with Pixar. Or Ben & Jerry's!

On the software side, I've lost track of which search engines are owned by whom and which have already partnered with whom, but I wonder if there would be market advantages to Apple partnering with a search engine, e.g., Google, or acquiring a search company for their technology, e.g., Verity. And more Hollywood connections for Apple (movie/media companies) would be welcome.

On the hardware side, I can see the benefits of an IBM-Apple merger, because of the processor connection, IBM's experience with Unix (in the form of AIX and Linux), and the way the two computer companies have avoided being head-to-head market enemies in the past. With a partnership, for example, IBM and its renowned sales force would sell to businesses and do hardware R&D while Apple and its stores would sell to consumers and prosumers. Steve Jobs would wear a blue suit and IBM execs would wear turtlenecks.

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

On the hardware side I would like to see IBM. Software probably Adobe. If a search engine, I would like to see Apple purchase Google.

4. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

IBM definitely. Even if Apple only purchased the microprocessor plant that produces the G5, wouldn't they be able to significantly reduce cost to themselves and consumers? For software, Macromedia or Adobe. Or, what about EA Games? Help convert the geeks to Apple. Search engine? Screw Google, Apple should just make their own. Make it like everything else Apple - faster, easier, nicer, better. :D

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

And we might as well have Apple snap up Bose Corporation for their sound technology.

6. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I like the thought of Apple (both hardware and software) being purchased by Sony, but the thought of the hardware assets being purchased by IBM and software being purchased by Adobe is intriguing.

I think the best scenario would be for Sony to purchase Apple, provided Apple remains independent of the parent company to a large degree.

7. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I think Apple should buy Sony. This would be a good fit with the digital hub thing.

8. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

they would have to get a cash loan from uncle billy, first ;)

9. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

I think that Apple Computer should buy out Apple Corp. so that they can really make iTMS/iTfW a real world-wide affair -- it's not impossible that this would be Apple Computer moving too far afield of what it does best, but I think that at least for the short run, it would remove a few obstacles that Apple Computer faces.

I also think that Apple should have bought Font Reserve and that company that they put out of business with iSight. That's the 'thank you' for supporting the platform and figuring out the solution to the problem. To just put these folks out of work was a move out of the Redmond playbook.

Software? I think that picking up Mariner or Nisus as the basis for an office package would be a fair idea.

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Perhaps we should shift the discussion from buyouts to mergers, which are more feasable since the large amount of cash required and the loss of one company's autonomy is less an issue.

Apple would merge nicely with any number of consumer electronics companies, methinks. Panasonic would be top of my list, followed by Sony.

It would open the door to more Apple branded consumer electronics on the high end and more quality CE from the other company. An Apple branded flat-screen TV and a Panasonic "iPod" (would need a different name, obviously) would be possible products, with perhaps even some of the lower end brand's own Mac OS capable computers also.

11. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Sun. I don't know who originally made this argument a few months ago, but it is extremely compelling. I like it.

12. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

If Apple were for sale, I'd buy! Either that, or Apple could buy me... :D

13. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Apple should buy Motorola SPS, just so they can have a hand in processor design along with THE IBM.

14. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Or they could also team up with IBM to buy out Sony. Then they could divvy up Sony, and each take half. :D Assuming a 50/50 partnership, of course.