If Charley wasn't enough, hurricane Frances is on the way

Discussion in 'Community' started by bousozoku, Aug 29, 2004.

1. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Keep your fingers crossed. It looks as though Floriduh is in for more rough weather.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What happened to the promise of more "ethnic" names for natural disasters? I was looking forward to Hurricane Jamal very much (well, not the disaster, but the name if one were to happen anyway). Didn't they promise that one? ;)

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Looks like you've got over a week before you have to worry. I think the Bahama's are a little more worried now.

But it has been a bit crazy - even without the wind issue, all that rain is going to add up if the east coast gets some more hits.

D

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I can't imagine living in an area where this type of event occurs on a regular basis. The thought of living in a location where my home and belongings may be destroyed on any given week, where my house may be flooded a few times, and my life is possibly in danger every several years seems like a rough way to live.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Where did you hear this? I'd love to see the list of *names*.

Obviously, there will be a few that just won't make the cut.......

[edit] found the list

http://kids.earth.nasa.gov/archive/hurricane/names.html

And mine is not even on there - guess I'll have to wait until they come out with the new list in 2010....

D

6. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

After 7.5 years in this area, this is the first season of significant activity and Charley the first one to do damage in my area. In 1999, Floyd mostly showed us the outer rings and blasted North Carolina, which is about 8 hours drive north of here.

Almost every autumn I've been on the east coast, I've been affected by one hurricane, even if it was just a lot of rain.

There are better reasons to move. :D

7. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

woohoo! my name is there! Well, essentially. They have Sebastien, as opposed to Sebastian, but whatev. it's close enough...

8. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I heard some meteorologists complaining about this the other day actually. Why Georges why not just plain George.

They do retire names after a big storm so there is some necessity to use more ethnic names especially in the c-f range where most of the big storms hit.

9. medea macrumors 68030

medea

I'm on the list for '04, hope it doesn't happen though as I'd hate to hear silly comments about Looks like Hurricane Richard is going to "dick" slap the Florida coast....I hate that nickname.

I hope Frances passes as I'd rather get hit by Hurricane Gaston, sounds like he would be much more civil about it.

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Remember the song from Beauty and the Beast....

Gaston could give you trouble....

;)

D

11. medea macrumors 68030

medea

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Heh, well the ethnic name thing came up around 2 years ago. A black lady actually complained that there wasn't more hurricanes named with ethnic names. She said she'd like a Hurricane Jamal (I think it was the name of her son) that reflected names in her culture more. I actually agree with her, but what a thing to complain about! :p

Oooh, from the list I see the ethnic names were added. Sha-weet! :cool:

(where's MY name!)

13. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

well a few hours ago (in ny) we had the "eye" of the storm come over us. We had about 1 hours of pure sunshine and no rain after 24 hours of pure rain. Now were having about 20-30mph gusts with dounpours for a few hours and then its over. I feel really bad for people just northwest of me, they got REALLY flooded after a horrible dounpour of about 5 inches in 1-2 hours came through here a few days ago, my aunt had to hook a pump up to keep the water from damaging tons of valuable things in her basement....and now they are getting this crap.

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

15. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Yep, Ivan is coming my way. I've got a safe place to go...I'm more worried about my condo :(

16. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

The two Orlando channels I watched were showing a doom-and-gloom path for Ivan--straight through Orlando. It would be Tuesday before it reached us and be down to a category 2 storm but still. This is tiring for everyone affected.

17. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

This three-way wallop on Florida is craziness....hope Ivan will tone it down a lot before hitting shore.

And this WOULD have to be the year I signed up for an October vacation in the Dominican Republic. :eek:

18. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Reports I've read have said they expect it to slow down a bit before reaching us, due in part to the water being about 8-10 degrees cooler this time around. Also, it's still anybody's guess which path this is going to take...could veer off and miss most of Florida altogether (not likely, but it could).

19. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

I, and many of my neighbors, just left our shutters up from Frances. I knew that motherf@%^er Ivan would be trouble. This increased hurricane formation is supposed to last for decades. :eek:

20. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

I wouldn't mind if it headed for Texas. :D (Hey, I haven't bashed Texas for months!) Okay, it can go to France. :D

21. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

and I bet al gore is thinking to himself "see I said the movie "day after tomorrow" was true!!" :rolleyes:

22. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

My name has been used twice during my lifetime:)

23. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

It's been lowered to a "4," and it has veered to the left slightly...

24. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

You must not have been called in class much. ;)

I'm just thrilled with the current barrage of storms. What wasn't flooded is getting there. If they would just pipe all of this stuff underground to feed the source, it would help our drought.

25. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

I got an e-mail from school that classes have been canceled tonight and Saturday. New information will be posted on Monday.

This was surprisingly warm: