If I buy a DS in Germany....?

Discussion in 'Games' started by erkanasu, Jun 16, 2006.

1. erkanasu macrumors 6502

Im am american, but im stuck in germany this whole summer. U guys are making want to get a DS, so ill think i may pick one up June 23, when they are released here. What should I expect in the box? A DS in germany would have english language available correct? And would these games work with US games? Thanks

2. justin216 macrumors 6502

justin216

The games are region free, so you can play any Euro-regioned game as well as any USA-regioned games.

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

yeah, It'd probably start up in German so you'd have to know enough German to at least change the „Sprache" but it'll all be good to go. Oh you will have to buy a US power adapter when you get back to the states.

IMO German Nintendo stuff is generally over-priced.

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Buy a US power adapter when you get back and its all good. Region free. Yes, the German DS will have English.

5. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

UMD movies are still region locked though, yes? Take that into consideration of they are part of the PSP appeal to you.

6. kineticpast macrumors member

One thing you may need to be aware of; while the system is region-free, not all the games are. The only time it may affect you is when playing a multiplayer game that requires two cartridges (at least I think that is how it is, big headache at the moment so my memory is shocking!).

7. lem0n macrumors regular

lem0n

huh? What does the DS have to do with UMD movies?? Games in Europe will be more expensive [even though they have the clear cover that I like unlike the black slim case in the US] All the booklet and papers inside the case would be in German but most games in Europe are "6 in 1", meaning you can play it in any of the 6 languages: English, Italian, Spanish, German, French, Dutch... But if you like the booklets like I do and have a hard time understanding German then :p even so... I buy games in Italy anyway because I can't resist it!! [and the clear case look so good...]

8. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

lol, oh yeah. Maybe I should try and process what I read before posting. :eek:

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Anyone who consisders UMD movies part of the PSP's appeal is smoking something; they cost more than DVD's, are lower quality, and can't be played on your DVD player and don't have the extra features...just buy a bigger memory card and rip your DVDs.

10. erkanasu thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, thanks for all this info, if i can find a DS for 99E, ill pick one up. I think the standard price is 149E, ****ing rip off.

11. lem0n macrumors regular

lem0n

that's lucky, here in Italy it's 159 EUR for the new DS Lite coming out

12. erkanasu thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, i can't belive that. 159E is about 205USD, compared to the $129 price in the us, if ure lucky.

13. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

the games are region-free?! i didn't know that... HELL YEAH!! i'm importing a black one from europe when they're releasedd.

14. erkanasu thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, i cant decide to get black or white? I have a silver mbp, so that wont match either way. DO u guys think the white is sexier? I have not seen the ds lite in person yet. ALSO, anyone know what stores to buy these at in Cologne? Amazon is shipping them already, but i would rather pay in cash since i have a **** load of it.

15. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

if u want one for what it is here in the states', that'll be 103.036E.

16. erkanasu thread starter macrumors 6502

i seriously doubt anyone will sell if for 99E, its going to be 149E everywhere... im pissed. europe is cool, but everything is soo much more epensive, oh well. Germany is awesome