If I can get a good deal on a 1.25 Ghz Mac Mini, would it be worth it? Please help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by JonHimself, Jun 25, 2005.

1. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Hello all,

So I made the switch last October when I bought my first Apple, one of the G4 iBooks however I'm still using my PC desktop some of the time... mostly for using Media Center or MSN. My plan is to just get rid of it and have only Apples. I can get a Mac Mini for pretty cheap and am considering buying it, but I am wondering if it is even worth getting the 1.25 Ghz? It has 1GB of ram and the dard drive space is irrelevant because I have an external drive.
    I am by no means a "power user" but more a hack that occaisionally likes to use GarageBand or Dreamweaver to screw around with... it would mostly be used as a media box to hook up to my TV for video and music playback... should I hold and wait until I a) find a good deal on the 1.42 Ghz b) Just spend the extra money and get the 1.42 Ghz or c) just take this one because it'll be good enough?

2. macorama macrumors regular

option c).

If you're getting a good deal, and it's already got a gig of ram, and you already have an external drive, then the difference between 1.25 and 1.42 is pretty minimal for the extra money.

3. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

agreed

ram is where the mini is limited anyway. if you have 1 gig, you will be perfectly fine for all the uses you described.

4. JonHimself thread starter macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Yeah I think I'll just go for it... thanks guys!

5. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

Also, conider and external HD for the future as 80 gig just wont last you too long.

go for it though!

6. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

I got a 1.25 mac mini with 512 ram. Even tho I have a powerbook I still use it. If I didnt have my powerbook i'd still be using it for hours ever single day.

The only issue I have with it is the 40 gb hd, but I bought a 250 GB Lacie so thats not an issue anymore. I recommend the Mac Mini to all my PC user friends... in fact I spent the best part of 15 minutes in the pub last night forcing my mac beliefs on the poor souls!

7. finalcoolman macrumors 6502

Sorry, but you want to get rid of your Media Centre PC for a Mac Mini. While it's cool to have a Mac, it's not a freakin religion.

8. JonHimself thread starter macrumors 68000

JonHimself

It's not really Media Center PC, its a desktop that I've put together over the past year (new graphic cards, sound cards, tv tuner, etc etc) that I installed Xp Media Center Edition onto... it doesn't really work as well as a Media Center purchased as a unit would, so its not I'm getting rid of a new XP MCE for a Mac Mini, its an old gaming box that I've sort of frankensteined into something capable of using for media purposes. Plus, the DVI on the Mac Mini will be better than the S-Video (and yes I'm aware I could just get a DVI graphics card for the PC)