If I can't wait much longer...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AaronICT, Feb 14, 2007.

1. AaronICT macrumors member

As someone switching to Mac very soon, I have a question about OS and Apple software upgrades.

I can wait to buy after Feb. 20th to see if anything pans out that day, but I can't wait much longer after that because the PC I'm using is dying a little each day.

My question is if I go ahead and buy before the end of Feb. and all the new releases come out in March, how much am I looking at to be able to upgrade. How much to get Leopard, how much to get iLife '07, etc?

I'm excited about my switch to Apple, but the most frustrating thing about them is their secrecy regarding updates, which silently says, "Screw you for buying a Mac yesterday" the day an update is FINALLY made public.

If the update occurs within 30 days of buying, can't I just return my Mac and get a refund, then buy a new one? What stops me from doing that (besides store policies, if they exist?)

thanks,
    Aaron

2. TheBrazilianGuy macrumors regular

1. Google is always your friend.

2. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=278999

3. http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html

3. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Apple has a 14-day grace period, but after that you encounter a 10% restocking fee for any open box.

Tiger is $129 (unless you can get a student discount), so I imagine when Leopard is released, it'll be the same.

iLife, likewise, is $79.

So, software-wise, you're looking at about $210 + taxes to upgrade, if you need to.

IMO, don't play the waiting game for too long. If you NEED a computer, then just buy it now. You can wait to upgrade your software, and any machine you get now will likely be powerful enough for plenty of time to come.

4. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Are you a student?

If you are you can join the ADC as a student developer, and when Leopard ships you get it free too.

Oh you also get one nice hardware discount :D

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Umm, this is true of every company, not just Apple. Technology is always changing. Like said before 14 day return, but I think there is a restocking fee.

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yep, its 10%

7. AaronICT thread starter macrumors member

Wow! I never looked into student ADC before, that's a NIICE discount, and I do qualify, so that's definitely the route I'm going to go, except it doesn't appear I can get the discounted price on Final Cut HD Express, even though the developer store SAYS I can, it doesn't ring up right in the cart. Still, it works out a little cheaper overall.

I just don't know how long I can hold out for hardware updates. Argh.

--Aron

8. Demoman macrumors regular

You said you were concerned about the software. Are you now changing directions to hardware? Also, I pretty sure you do get an educational discount for FCE - substantial as I recall.

9. AaronICT thread starter macrumors member

No, it boils down to best deal overall, really. (but, I guess saving $ on software is most important right now since I need FCE)

Right now, through the education store, I can get the Mac Pro for $2299, and FCE for $99.

In the developer store, the Mac Pro is $1999, but FCE rings up at $239.

Still cheaper by $159 through ADC, but the ADC store SAYS I should be able to get FCE for $39 with the $200 instant rebate, but the rebate isn't applied the way it is in the educational store.

$200 is $200, and I'd like to save it on FCE to put into RAM.

10. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

How much does it cost to become a student developer?

11. sanooj macrumors newbie

Umm, what is ADC? I'm a student and this talk of great discounts on products is making my mouth water. What do I have to do to be a developer? Where do I go/who do I contact? Thanks for any help.

12. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

$99.

The discount is only applicable once in a lifetime. Subsequently you can join ADC Select at $500 a year to get a $500 discount (basically moot point except you still get free OS upgrades).

13. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

You can buy the Mac Pro in the developer store and FCE in the educational store, that is provided of course that the FCE pricing at $99 is not bundle pricing.

14. sanooj macrumors newbie

I'd still like to know what I need to do in order to become a student developer or get ADC.

15. AaronICT thread starter macrumors member

http://developer.apple.com/students/

You have to buy a student membership ($99), then fax them verification of your student status. Then you can place an order in the developer store.