If I choose to forward all Gmail to iCloud, do I still need to set Gmail up on phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shenfrey, Feb 10, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

shenfrey

I would prefer just to have one personal email other then two, and so would just like to have icloud set up on my devices. Is this possible? Thanks guys.

2. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If you're forwarding your Gmail to iCloud email, then you only need to load your iCloud account on your iPhone.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

shenfrey

Thanks for the quick response, appreciated : )

4. macrumors 6502

macMD

Don't forget when you reply to an email it will go out from your iCloud account and email address.

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

shenfrey

Yes thats fine, I am trying to migrate towards my primary .me email address.

6. macrumors 6502

That is unless you tell it to send from the gmail address using the SMTP server.

This is what I do. I don't have gmail set up on the phone and all mail gets forwarded to my icloud, but any email I send out is sent from my gmail.

7. macrumors 6502

macMD

That is something I didn't know iCloud could do, and it certainly would make it easier. Of course finding a way to sync your contacts/calendar with a windows desktop has its own challenges.

8. macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Whew

Good on you for checking.

My father and I have constant arguments about what email accounts he needs to put on his phone, as I've forwarded his personal (comcast, .me) accounts to his GApps account.

For some reason, he won't accept that all of his email will show up in his GApps account, so he keeps adding the other ones, and then gets confused when he has multiple copies of the same email.

Turns out most of the stuff he wasn't receiving was spammy forwards from his elderly friends, which GApps marked as such.

Ugh...old people.

9. macrumors regular

Foreman527

May sound like a dumb question but...
    How do you forward all emails to icloud?

10. macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hmmm...

From what type of account?

Gmail?

11. macrumors 6502a

chestvrg

Can you post the settings of your 'sent' IMAP, I would like to try the same thing.

12. thread starter macrumors 65816

shenfrey

If gmail, I went to gmail then settings then port forward and added my me.com address and then after confirming it (you get an email sent to your email of choice and click the link to verify) I went back to google mail settings refreshed the page and ticked the email I entered and then clicked saved changes. Now it works fine.

13. Fed
    macrumors 6502

Completely unrelated but can one still acquire a @mac.com address?

14. macrumors regular

I think now you can only get a .me address. I think there's another option but I can't remember it.

15. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

No, Apple stopped issuing those several years ago.

16. macrumors regular

I just remembered the other address. It's moved from an @me to an @icloud.

17. macrumors member

Can you post instructions on how to do this?

18. macrumors 68000

ZombiePete

Great idea; just tried it myself and it worked flawlessly.

Go to your mail settings and click on your iCloud account, then click Account. Scroll down to Advanced then click on Mail. Scroll down again and click SMTP under outgoing mail server and turn off iCloud SMTP server then click Add Server... under Other SMTP Server.

Host Name: smtp.gmail.com
    User Name: [your gmail address]
    Password: [your gmail password]
    Use SSL: On
    Authentication: Password
    Server Port: 465

Easy peasy; even though you'll see your me.com account as the "from" address, it gets sent from your Gmail account. Beautiful.

EDIT: To clarify that you put your own password in. ;-)

19. macrumors 6502

Yep, that's it exactly. Another great thing about this is you get almost zero junk mail in your iCloud account.

20. macrumors 65816

Can u have multiple gmail accounts as "sent" from? I have a couple of different gmail accounts for different things like one I use for coupons and other junk stuff that usually requires a email address, one for banking and school and then I have my iCloud.

21. macrumors 68020

macingman

Pretty sure they've been phased out.

22. macrumors 6502a

sand_man

Since Google no longer does the Gmail exchange thingy this is just the fix I been searching for. Works flawlessly!!

23. macrumors newbie

Has anyone got icloud to send from the their Gmail account. I tried the settings listed here and it still shows as sent from my icloud address?

24. macrumors 68020

rmhop81

I have mine set up like that. Log into Gmail and send emails with my icloud email listed...is that what u mean?

25. macrumors newbie

I get that part, but I can't seem to get the emails sent from icloud to show up as sent from my gmail account.

I have tried setting it up as listed here but it doesn't seem to work.

Go to your mail settings and click on your iCloud account, then click Account. Scroll down to Advanced then click on Mail. Scroll down again and click SMTP under outgoing mail server and turn off iCloud SMTP server then click Add Server... under Other SMTP Server.

Host Name: smtp.gmail.com
    User Name: [your gmail address]
    Password: [your gmail password]
    Use SSL: On
    Authentication: Password
    Server Port: 465