If I do an erase and install with tiger....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AlBDamned, Jul 13, 2005.

1. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

... tonight, I figure I will have to reload my apps and re do my settings etc etc. That's fine. But, what's the score with application activation on programs such as Quark and Photoshop? I have a huge project to finish this weekend and I don't want any problems i.e a demo version of Quark.

Also, having never done an erase and install before, can anyone point me to a step-by-step guide? I have my PM to back up with (only the 'Book is getting tiger as it's mine - not the company's) but it's a minefield. I want to do a clean install as I'm convinced it will lead to less problems. Part of my brain still telling me to stay with 3.9 but sod it and I don't use iPhoto so who cares!!

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I think you've answered your own question. Clean installs are a waste of time and effort.

3. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Not looking to spark off a dull debate once again thanks. If a clean install will bust me out of activation necessary apps, I'll do an archive install but I'd like to do it clean.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

IIRC, the last time i did a clean install, most or all of my apps kept their registration. I know for a fact that Photoshop did, because I was on a tight deadline that day.

5. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I think you may be right with that. Am more worried about Quark than photoshop nut both are highly important. May need some further investigating if no one here can answer for definite. Quark email help is good. Their FAQ section less so.

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Unless you have a specific reason, why don't you wait until after you've finished the huge project before re-installing the system? You know, with Murphy's Law and all.

7. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

That's the sensible option, but my tiger disc has been burning a hole in my desk for a while and now 4.2 is out I'm willing to look at it!