If I end up not wanting an iPhone…

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by killr_b, Mar 17, 2007.

1. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

I really want to have a contingency plan. If the iPhone doesn't agree with me and my life, you know?

The other phone I was looking at was the Sony Ericsson K810i.

Now the meat: Need UKers help. Is there reason to believe this phone won't operate in America? I understand that some features may not work, like the music downloads, but what about the push email? I have cingular now in california.
    As long as I have a SIM card it should work right?

Anyone using a UK phone in America now?

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The K810i doesn't support the 850MHz band, and almost all of Cingular's network is 850, so it wouldn't work.

Any phone that supports GSM 850 (and 1900, which Cingular uses a bit of too, and T-Mobile also uses 1900) will work.

I had a SE w810i and it worked just fine on Cingular (it supports 850MHz). When we switched to T-Mobile, I gave it to my brother, where it's working even better on a network that actually offers a signal worth a damn.

Unlocked GSM phones work great. I recommend them, you have a much wider selection, and you never know when you're going to travel overseas and want to use a prepaid SIM or switch to a different GSM provider in the US. Just make sure whatever one you get supports at least 850MHz and 1900MHz.

3. killr_b thread starter macrumors 6502a

killr_b

I see. Yes, the 800/ 850 (same thing) is required to get full coverage in the US. 1900 is around, but not nearly as saturated.

Thanks. I knew there was something I forgot.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

850 and 1900 are an absolute must in the US.

Cingular is all 850 with some 1900, T-Mobile is all 1900. Since they roam on each others networks in certain areas, having both are a must in case you do end up needing to roam.