if i get a mac mini

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mith, Dec 24, 2006.

1. mith macrumors regular

hi :D i have 24-inch iMac core 2 duo, and a cable modem, i bought my d-link wireless router yesterday cause i need to get another computer, and need internet on both.

if i get a mac mini, will it wirelessly detect my router and get online instantaneously? , cause i think the cd that came with the d-link is for windows, but they (future shop guy) told me router works on macs to

2. Mernak macrumors 6502

Once you get the router set up, you can have the mini automatically connect to you network. For setting the router up, you may need to go to a specific ip address (something like 198.xx.xx.xx) instead of using the cd, but a quick google search should bring up the one you should use for your router.

3. mith thread starter macrumors regular

how do you do that? this is getting complicated , i thought it was just plug n play :(

how do u set this IP address?,....and where do u set it on the mac???

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I think Mernak was confused. Your router is already set up correct? Can you already access the internet through it? Is it wireless or do you want to use the wifi that's in the iMac as you're 'wireless' broadcaster?

Either way, if you already have a wireless signal, then yes the MacMini will simply be plug and play. As with all the Macs I've connected to my network here at home, I simply switched them on, and they worked...

5. mith thread starter macrumors regular

yes i have a wireless d-link router i plugged my cable modem to the router and a ethernet cable from router to my current 24-inch i mac core 2 duo , it works

so if i buy a mini will it wirelessly connect to it?

6. Mernak macrumors 6502

I assumed that it was still in the box. It most likely is plug'n'play but I think in order to set up a WEP password and other stuff like that you need to go into it config page at the ip address, at least that is how it is with linksys, since on pcs you can just put in the cd. But if you aren't worried about anything you don't have to bother with any of this stuff, the mini should automatically connect.

7. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I see what you mean. Well, if the MacMini doesn't connect to the router, then we can set up the iMac to use it's built in WiFi to act as your hub.

:) Don't worry, it will be very very easy to do! Nothing to do with the MacMini, it's more likely to be the router which could complicate things.

Don't worry about it though, we can walk you through it (PM me when you get the Mini if you want, I'll give you instructions) :)

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

9. mith thread starter macrumors regular

i know my router isn't set up properly

my imac is able to detect my d-link router through airport, but when i connect to it , no internet still, but if i plug the ethernet cable from router to imac then i get internet so how do i setup a router on the mac!

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

11. mith thread starter macrumors regular

isn't that for the airport extreme thing?? i got a d-link router , am so confused :(
    u know the airport icon in the menu bar it shows when d-link router is plugged in but if i connect to it , still don't have internet cause itz not properly set up , how do i do that

PS : this is my first time connecting a router

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

That link was for you to read up on wireless stuff not the base station....oh well.

http://www.pctechbytes.com/d-link.htm

Did you follow the instructions in the manual it should have the address to your router and what is needed to start the wireless frenzy.

Bless