If I leave my Imac on for hours.....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jc0481, May 29, 2006.

1. jc0481 macrumors regular

Will it get louder? I have a pos Dell dimension that I would like to replace with an iMac. Been looking at Macs since the OS 8 days. When I leave my dell on for hours it sounds like a jet engine you could hear the fans spinning. Is that the same for the new Imacs? Just was wondering.
    Thanks

2. taytho macrumors 6502

jet engine... no. i notice very little difference on any machine i use. you wont regret the switch

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Your iMac will get louder when you work it harder, but if it is just idling it will stay whisper quiet. :)

4. jc0481 thread starter macrumors regular

Great thanks but one more question

With my current pc, I do some strenuous things to it and plus leave it on for hours. When I leave somewhere and come back to it just doing basic stuff listen to mp3s and surf the Internet it stills stays loud. Will the Imac work the same way or drop down the fan usage when I do basic stuff?
    JC

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Within a minute or two of quitting the taxing program, the fans will slow down considerably (almost to normal).

6. Macer macrumors regular

I never turn my 2 imacs off, i leave them on all the time and never sleep them. They just make more noise when you work them harder.

7. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

It may get a little bit loud if you're doing something processor-intensive. But then when it's done and the fans cool it down, they will quiet down.

Other that from processor-intensive tasks, it stays pretty quiet in my opinion.

8. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

The fan control is very good. The fans have hardly ever come on loud on my iMac, even when pushing it hard at 100% CPU for several minutes. It stays pretty cool even so. When the fans do come on, they stay on only for when the CPU usage is high. And they quiet even when running.

However, I have the feeling that it has become louder since I got it in February - perhaps one of the firmware updates changed something, but early on I couldn't hear a thing unless I leaned really close. Now, when I listen, I hear a very faint fan hum pretty constantly. On the other hand, I switched from a Dell machine that ran its fans all the time the PC was on (literally all the time, there was no time when they weren't spinning), so maybe I've just adjusted to a quieter working environment.

9. lonelemur90 macrumors member

lonelemur90

i know what you're talking about. my POS dell does the exact same thing. and trust me, the imacs r completely different. on a dell, wen the box gets hot, the fans kick in and it sounds like a leaf blower. but the fans on the imac are better controlled and only need to be turned on wen yur really working the cpu and afterwards they turn down lower or off.

10. Macer macrumors regular

I too noticed that on my imac core duo. When i got it is was really quite when it was sitting idle. Now i have it my bedroom sitting idel and it has definitley got louder when it is sitting their idle.

11. Nate4747 macrumors regular

Since OS 8 huh, you've been looking for a long time.

They are designed to be quiet under normal use, so unless you are encoding a video or running some heavy apps you shouldn't notice it.

12. Subiklim macrumors 6502

My iMac's fans are always at the same speed... whisper quiet. Even when there's a 100% CPU load for hours at a time, always the same.

13. DMPDX macrumors 6502

My iMac's fans have only once turned on. The machine ususally hovers around 40 degrees celcius.
    -dsm

14. jc0481 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah just have made some idiot mistakes like going with Dell since 2002. I was going to buy OS 9 but heard of all the extensions frustration and instability. Once OS X(TEN) came out waited to be ready for prime time now it is. I'm actually waiting two more months and waiting for the core to be in the new Imac so excited. I still have relatives ask me for help and looking into getting a PC computer for $400.00. :rolleyes:
    Thanks again for your help.
    JC

15. Macer macrumors regular

16. applemagic123 macrumors regular

applemagic123

iStat Pro widget

just install iStat Pro widget to see your internal temperatures.

17. Vylen macrumors 65816

"Rise!" he said, and so the dead thread came back to life from its 4 year slumber.

18. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

OP: how has your mac experience been? :p

19. Dyango macrumors member

I laughed a bit after reading this, when I realised the date of the thread, but still I laughed :D