If I were to move... (or Canada for n00bs)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by vniow, May 17, 2006.

1. vniow macrumors G4

Disclaimer: I'm sticking around here (San Francisco) for a good while and I don't plan to leave anytime in the near future but I'd like to keep my options open.

I've been thinking a lot as of late where I would move if I didn't live here and quite frankly, I can't think of anywhere else in the US I could stand so if I moved, it would be out of country. I've been thinking a lot about someplace like Vancouver which from my (limited) research seems to be a similarish enough city where I would be comfortable in, I like the West Coast area in general and its close enough to my current stomping ground to where it wouldn't be all that difficult to visit occasionally.

I'm curious though, I've never been out of the US so I have no clue on how one does this but what exactly does it take for a citizen here to move up there? Do you need to become a citizen there as well, like are there certain benefits of doing so? I take it I'll need a work permit or something for the time being but like I said, I'm totally clueless. I'm mostly interested in how someone that's lived in the states all her life would go abouts being a comfortable Canadian resident.

Thanx,

-Ani

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

3. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

i'm pretty sure you have to live there for four years before you become a citizen, and you cant work there until you are a citizen. i'm not 100% sure on that

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

You should try Chicago. We have a coast, on a lake which is so huge it seems more like a sea since you cannot see across it, a large population, vastly varying nationalities, and really crazy weather that changes seemingly every 30 minutes. From blazing hot summers to freezing winters, we have storms and snow, it will be sunny one minute and a torrential downpour the next, and then sunny again! It's such a beutiful city, we have a large amount of park area especially near the lake. Then, in roughly a 10 mile circumference around the city is a ring of natural wild forest preserves, driving through which you would never guess you are near a city. There is a massive amount of history in this city, the allure of traditional "chicago corruption." We are the world headquarters of Motorola and United Airlines. We have currently the tallest building in the United States, and plans are underway for a massive building downtown that will bring the title of "tallest building in the world" back to Chicago.

Come here!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just really love Chicago and I think anybody would enjoy living here!

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Vancouver is very similar in many ways to SF...you'd like it there.

As for how to immigrate, there is some good info in pseudobrit's link and some further links from that page. Basically, the simplest way (aside from having a family member already there) is to be "skilled worker"...have some ability/expertise that would help the Canadian economy. Yes, you can work even before you become a citizen...that would just be silly.

6. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Problem is, Chicago's still in the US. ;) Heard good things about it though and probably wouldn't mind if it wansn't for that small factor...

That's why I don't plan to move anywhere until I get my degree and maybe some grad school. SF State is one of the few colleges in the world which has the program I want to get into and I'm certainly not moving to Indiana which is the other closest one. :eek:

7. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Why is that a factor? What's wrong with this country? Do you not like the people?

8. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

More like the people running the place. ;) I'm growing tired of fighting the downhill slope that this country is going and figure I'd be better off going somewhere and joining the rest of the world in the 21st century. I do have a lot of friends and family here so I don't want to go too far but quite frankly I'm getting fed up. I know people have played the "move to Canada" card before but I'm actually serious about this one. If not there then somewhere else but the distance and the culture sound appealing.

9. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

But whats actually personally affecting you that would cause you to move? What "fight" are you fighting? You live in SF - you couldn't possibly have picked a more liberal city, and I don't think you could be any further away physically from where all the major issues are taking place. And what about the United States do you consider not to be part of the 21st century?

And how is running away scared to Canada going to solve any of these perceived problems? They're still going to be down here, a few miles from your new home. Do you think you're "sticking it" to America by leaving? Theres 10 million Mexicans waiting to take your place.

11. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Not liberal enough for me apparently. :eek:

12. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I tend to agree with dpaanlka on this one. If there's something wrong with the management then best to try to get involved with ways to change it--vote, get involved with organizations working for your cause, whatever. The beauty (and perhaps the ugliness) of this country is that it has the capacity to go in any direction that its people want so long as they are willing to go for it. The grass is always greener, as they say, but every country has its own problems. I guess it's just a matter of what problems you're willing to deal with. For one, from what I hear Canada has just as much bueracracy as what you see here. :D

Eh, I tend to be more on the moderate side of conservative so what do I know? :p

13. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Thank you. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you hate the United States government that much, do you think you're going to hate it any less from within Canada? The only difference between you living here and you living over there, is that if you're over there, you can't actually do anything about it but point and complain. And that isn't going to do you any good, especially from within Canada. Nobody in the United States pays any attention to what that country thinks.

Moral of the story: You have no right to complain unless you plan on doing something about it.

14. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

:rolleyes:

I posted this thread to ask for information about how to get into Canada (and maybe somewhere else, who knows?) I did not however post this to argue about my reasons for wanting to leave the US at some point. Political reasons are just one of the many that have contributed to my desire to pursue other places of residence, I can assure you there are others as well.

15. candan9019 macrumors regular

Maybe that's the attitude that is the reason for a move north. ;)

16. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Well, what are we here for if not to question other people's motives? :D

17. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Oh well that sucks for Canada. A country full of people running away from problems? Maybe if Canada made some contribution to the world other than politely and quietly disapproving of everything, we would take them more seriously.

I shall now unsubscribe from this thread.

18. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Hey, we gave you Celine Dion and Alanis Morissette, what more do you want? :rolleyes:

19. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Glad to hear. Maybe I'd like to live in one of those quieter countries, they seem to draw less attention to themselves. I hear New Zealand's nice too although I don't know if I'll find much work there. I really need to be in a place similar to San Francisco, liberal environment, lots of people. Otherwise I'll probably be out of a job.

20. candan9019 macrumors regular

You know I have met so many people like you growing up in the States. You obviously know nothing about Canada, which is my point. Those of us who don't like people who think that where they are is the best place in the world when they never bother to look around and see what's actually out there.

I'm not saying I don't like the States I miss Colorado a lot. But I have heard all this junk before and I am getting so tired of it.

Now to help the poster see if this helps.

21. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Okay, let's not turn this into a "Bash Canada" or "Bash U.S." thread and try to keep this civilized, or at least non-political. Maybe we should all watch "Canadian Bacon" and then laugh and hug. :D

I will now try to be helpful... the hubby has some family up in Toronto and love it there. Perhaps that's a bit too far east for your liking, but it may have a similar feel to S.F. as far as city life and such. As far as the process of actually moving there I think the links that have already been given are a good start. :)

22. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

I agree. The last thing I want is a political debate that would send this into the snakepit forums. Any more posts of that nature will be reported and dealt with appropriately.

23. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Maybe you didn't get the memo about us electing our first conservative government in 13 years. Now Vancouver is just about as liberal as we get here (actually even further left, NDP).

Just a word or warning regarding moving here:

We have much higher income tax than the US
    We have much higher sales tax than the US
    We have much lower average income than the US
    We have a less valuable currency than the US

However on the plus side we do have universal healthcare and more social assistance however IMHO it does not make up for our tax system. We also have arguably have better distribution of wealth.

I love my country and we are doing positive things to turn it around (lowering GST, more efficient government spending). If you do move here enjoy it. We have a rich history and are very multicultural (also great ethnic food in cities like Vancouver)

EDIT: Sorry if this is at all too political in nature. It is mostly factual and was written before vniow said "I agree. The last thing I want is a political debate that would send this into the snakepit forums. Any more posts of that nature will be reported and dealt with appropriately."

Mods can delete sections of my post as they feel necessary.

24. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

You've also got Oprah at your disposal if you're in Chicago. Something to think about...;)

25. candan9019 macrumors regular

I get worked up sometimes when people talk like that.:eek:
    Both countries are great but am partial to Canada.

I have a friend from Colorado who came up to visit after I move back to Ontario and he really seemed to like it. He's been asking about immigration too. It is definently not as hard as moving to the US but you're going to need some type of degree. One good thing from what I understand is that you can immigrate without a job at first if you have enough education and experience, otherwise I suppose you would need a employer to sponsor you.

Here I found a better link for you. Link