Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spaceman Spiff

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
I doubt whether a knowledge of French is actually necessary in Canada, unless you're going to Quebec. I live in Vancouver, and I know perhaps one or two people who can almost speak French and a few people who know a little bit of French. No one is actually completely fluent in the language, and there's really no point in being while in Vancouver. It's basically an english city, and I've never needed to know French for anything besides reading the ingredients on a cereal box in a more challenging way.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Xcat said:
I doubt whether a knowledge of French is actually necessary in Canada, unless you're going to Quebec. I live in Vancouver
In fact, Chinese or Punjabi will take you way further in BC than French will, unless you are looking for a job with the Federal Gov't. There are very robust Asian (Chinese, Korean, Philippine, Japanese) and Sikh communities, esp. in the Lower Mainland (suburbs of Vancouver) and Vancouver Island.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
Xcat said:
I doubt whether a knowledge of French is actually necessary in Canada, unless you're going to Quebec. I live in Vancouver, and I know perhaps one or two people who can almost speak French and a few people who know a little bit of French. No one is actually completely fluent in the language, and there's really no point in being while in Vancouver. It's basically an english city, and I've never needed to know French for anything besides reading the ingredients on a cereal box in a more challenging way.

From an immigration standpoint, it matters quite a bit. Fluency gives you a bunch of extra points on your entry application.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
vniow said:
I've been thinking a lot about someplace like Vancouver which from my (limited) research seems to be a similarish enough city where I would be comfortable in,
-Ani

Two words:.......Apply Now!

Cuz, unless you have a spouse/commonl law partner who would be willing to Sponser you, you will be applying as an "independant" Which takes TIME

Lots of it.

You can also get sponsered by a company, and sometimes a school.

Sponsership is the fastest route because the theory is they want to "reunite" families, so they get priority, and move through the system faster.

My G-friend and i moved to Vancouver two years ago. I'm a Canadian, she's an American.

I sponsered her as a common law partner.

For ten months she couldn't work. So she took some classes, did some volunteering.

After the paper work went through, it was ridiculously easy.

it just takes TIME.........

I was quoted minimum TWO years, for people applying independantly.

Basically, go to the canadian immigration website...it's something with a .gov in it...

Download the application, fill it out, get everything you need to complete the Checklist...

and apply

NOW

if you're serious that is.....

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
The part that will kill you is the waiting. As someone else mentioned, it can literally take years to get everything approved, during which time you may not legally be allowed to work. Furthermore, you'd have to get a visa to stay there, and in order to get that visa, you'll have to demonstrate that you have the funds to cover your entire stay in Canada (I believe a minimum of $12,000 per year in cash). Having to be prepared to support yourself without employment until your paperwork is approved is a risky and expensive gamble.

As someone who did move to Vancouver from the Bay Area (and am now preparing to move back), I know the horrors of the system. Fortunately, I had prior arrangements to do so, so for me, it only took about two months (six weeks of paperwork and preparation before and about 2-3 weeks after arriving).

You're now allowed to work in Canada as a student (as of about a month ago), which can help you out, but students aren't allowed to stay in Canada for long after the completion of their studies. For a country with such an open border, actually moving to Canada is a great deal of work.

Just look at it this way--by the time your entry to Canada is approved, we'll have a new administration--there's always some hope. :)

The best way to do it is to graduate and get a job with an international firm. After a while, you might be eligible for transfer, and they can help make that process easier (especially because many of them have arrangements where you can continue working while you're doing the immigration process, and you'll be paid through the US firm, which will also sponsor/guarantee your ability to support yourself to Citizenship Canada).

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
matticus008 said:
you'll have to demonstrate that you have the funds to cover your entire stay in Canada (I believe a minimum of $12,000 per year in cash). Having to be prepared to support yourself without employment until your paperwork is approved is a risky and expensive gamble.

Actually I asked all about that when I moved, and supposedly how much you have in the bank "shouldn't" be a part of the process. On the application forms there is just a tiny part where it asks how much you have, and how much you make.

I asked everyone I could in authority if I had to prove that I had X amount in the bank. And they all said that it was not a deciding factor...so I was happy about that. That being said, I milked every possible income I could to make it look like I had more money....(not lies, just stretching of the facts)...;)

And like I said "apply now"

and then just go back to your life, some day....you'll be able to come on up and live here...

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
quigleybc said:
Actually I asked all about that when I moved, and supposedly how much you have in the bank "shouldn't" be a part of the process.
It's not part of the immigration process; it's part of the temporary resident visa process which you'd need to tide you over until your immigration paperwork is approved.

Because a) you cannot work in Canada without a work permit for a Canadian job (work permits are only granted for people who already have job arrangements) and b) you cannot stay in Canada for extended periods without a visa (a pending immigration application is not a valid replacement for a visa), if you move to Canada before your paperwork is approved, you'll need a temporary resident visa.

In order to get that extended stay visa, you must have documented proof of financial assets to cover your stay in Canada to the tune of $12,000 per year per single adult (that exact figure may not be accurate)--as you are unemployed and not a Canadian resident or citizen, and Canada's law doesn't allow you to be in the country if you've got no money.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
matticus008 said:
It's not part of the immigration process; it's part of the temporary resident visa process which you'd need to tide you over until your immigration paperwork is approved.

Because a) you cannot work in Canada without a work permit for a Canadian job (work permits are only granted for people who already have job arrangements) and b) you cannot stay in Canada for extended periods without a visa (a pending immigration application is not a valid replacement for a visa), if you move to Canada before your paperwork is approved, you'll need a temporary resident visa.

In order to get that extended stay visa, you must have documented proof of financial assets to cover your stay in Canada to the tune of $12,000 per year per single adult (that exact figure may not be accurate)--as you are unemployed and not a Canadian resident or citizen, and Canada's law doesn't allow you to be in the country if you've got no money.

Hope my question does not move this to the PF here on MR.

But how does Canada deal with those that sneak under the "cover of darkness" in to the country? Is it possible to work under the table till such point that one can gain resident status?

How does Canada view those over 45 yo, and without a college degree - but with a proven work record? Or even the UK?

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
There's tonnes of people who work under-the-table without a citizenship or landing immigrant status. The jobs are usually a little on the dodgy side and I would be a little concerned about the employers (seems almost like slave labour for a lot of agricultural work, don't really know about the construction business besides there being tonnes of under-the-table employees, both citizens and non, and of course absolutely no protection from your employer), but I don't know how long it would take to get immigrant status. I would imagine that if you have a proven talent (photography for instance) that is lacking in this country, you and your employer could fast track the paper work. Only problem is finding an employer who is willing to do this.

If all else fails marry a citizen:)

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Chip NoVaMac said:
So is "Gay" marriage legal in Canada now for such purposes? IIRC it is for the UK. :)
It sure is legal. I can't tell you how...completely normal it was to attend a gay wedding in Canada. It honestly amazes me that a society as advanced as the United States can even think about having a problem with something so natural and honorable as two people wanting to marry.

Frankly, it's disgusting how intolerant and hypocritical the conservative agenda is. I've got nothing against people with strong religious beliefs, but you can't expect everyone to share them. But I digress.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
matticus008 said:
It sure is legal. I can't tell you how...completely normal it was to attend a gay wedding in Canada. It honestly amazes me that a society as advanced as the United States can even think about having a problem with something so natural and honorable as two people wanting to marry.

Frankly, it's disgusting how intolerant and hypocritical the conservative agenda is. I've got nothing against people with strong religious beliefs, but you can't expect everyone to share them. But I digress.

Thanks for the support.

But maybe I am reading more in to this comment:

matticus008 said:
It sure is legal. I can't tell you how...completely normal it was to attend a gay wedding in Canada.

Not sure if you were talking of specifics, or if you were being more general.

Hey, just look at the American Idol contest last week. Each of them got 33% each! We are so polarized by our thoughts that we can never come up with a clear decision today! No matter what the topic!

IMO we have allowed the nations history to meddle with our religious history as a nation to give new meaning to the word "marriage". For it has been used equally in civil and religious context up till now.

The "religious right" wants it defined according to to their beliefs. That is all well and good under their beliefs. But then we have in the US the "civil marriage" outside of the "church"; but sanctioned by the government. Added to that some states recognize that those that have been in relationships of X years - to have "common law" recognition of the "relationship".

IMO, what some are missing is that not all "couples" see or want to be recognized under the eye of God. Yet want all legal rights that are afforded to any committed couple. Either as a "common law" Straight couple, or as a Gay "union".

There is a reason, as witnessed by another thread here, that there are those of us that are willing to give up with much pain our citizenship - in order to seek better opportunities for equality.

There are those of us that still pause for the evening tattoo - when on a military base. Those that find offense in in the Atlanta Brave's "tomahawk chop" or the O's chant in the National Anthem. Not to mention not taking the time to stop talking or to remove ones hat during the National Anthem. :eek:

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
notjustjay said:
Come to Ontario and experience buying your milk in bags :D

http://home.cogeco.ca/~husky66/Milk/steps/
We used to have milk in a bag when I was in elementary school. I live in MI, so it was kind of weird. Reminds me of the time at hockey camp when the milk being served with the cereal was rancid because the fridge was unplugged over night... long story. I would recommend moving to Germany, as it is the best place in Europe for the American dollar right now and it has awesome terrain. Although I can't think of a much better place then SF to live, my dad lived out there a couple years ago and I stayed there for a month. That city is so cool, screw LA, SF is where it's at. NOR CAL all the way! :cool: :p

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
corywoolf said:
That city is so cool, screw LA, SF is where it's at. NOR CAL all the way! :cool: :p

I was there alst summer. I did some questioning and research on moving there. a great city for sure, but for us "older" sorts - it is hard to give up living on ones own in order to find "happiness".

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Chip NoVaMac said:
Not sure if you were talking of specifics, or if you were being more general.
Oh, I just meant that the way the Right spins it, one might expect blood-drinking or fire and brimstone, and maybe some baby killing going down at one of these "unholy" events.

I'm fine with some churches not being comfortable performing ceremonies or disagreeing with the practice fundamentally. But I don't think that the law can discriminate against it in civil ceremonies (the courts thankfully are gradually coming to this conclusion), and I don't think that churches which are willing to marry any two loving, committed people should be barred from doing so. It's one of the great ideals of this republic, and even though I'm not directly affected, it's enough to make me ashamed of my country.

funkychunkz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
ppffffff! French in Vancouver? Never heard of that being a prob. Ottawa is Canada's silicon valley, BTW. Come to think of it, I live in the deepest part of the valley.:) Yay clay. With this exchange rate I might just move to SF! (well no actually)

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Chip NoVaMac said:
Hope my question does not move this to the PF here on MR.

But how does Canada deal with those that sneak under the "cover of darkness" in to the country? Is it possible to work under the table till such point that one can gain resident status?

How does Canada view those over 45 yo, and without a college degree - but with a proven work record? Or even the UK?

I live in Calgary, and I know for sure that someone can come here and work construction or service industry jobs, under the table, without any problems. Just drive/bus out to a new neighbourhood, and walk up to some crews and ask to start. Or, go to a family run restaurant. You won't make a lot of money, but you won't be treated like a slave or second class citizen either.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
MarkCollette said:
I live in Calgary, and I know for sure that someone can come here and work construction or service industry jobs, under the table, without any problems. Just drive/bus out to a new neighbourhood, and walk up to some crews and ask to start. Or, go to a family run restaurant. You won't make a lot of money, but you won't be treated like a slave or second class citizen either.

Yeah the job market in Calgary is crazy good right now, however the flip side of that is housing is hard to come by and expen$ive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.