If IBM makes chips for apple...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by burritos, Jul 2, 2003.

1. burritos macrumors member

does it also make chips for itself? I always thought they used pentium chips.

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Re: If IBM makes chips for apple...

IBM uses a variety of chips. Their Home PC line used Intel processors. They just announced AMD Opteron Server. They use their own POWER Series and PPC chips as well. IBM is smart enough to know that you don't always have to make all the components to turn a nice profit.

3. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Yes, they do use thier own chips for the "Real Work" but they sell Wintel desk/laptops and some Xeon servers.

Back in the day though, them and Apple tried to start a new "PC standard" based on PowerPC, OpenFirmware, etc. but that was around the time Apple almost died, and IBM was making a disaster out of OS/2 (Thier answer to MS and Win95). Right now, G5 is good for apple, cause IBM said they wanna "bury intel"...so, that can only be good for Apple!!:D

4. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the pc business has a lot of alliances and right now, ibm must see it as advantageous to work with apple and hopefully this will be a good thing

only time will tell

5. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

you know - i see onty one negative from working with IBM - we need expensive RAM. BUT it is an acceptable thing. LOOK AT WHAT WE GET FOR IT. DUAL 2GHz PROCESSORS - WHOOOO HOOOOO

6. CaVoLo macrumors member

most definielty worth it....i mean these processors not only bring apple closer in the "war for speed" but these processors actually beat the intels. The g4's had already reached the end of their lifespan by the time they reached 1ghz. We have always payed a little extra for a mac...and in the end its always worht it even now more so than in the past now that we have these wonderful g5's

THANKYOU IBM!!

7. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-IBM has the right idea

IBM is not a dedicated chip manufacturer like Intel and can focus on different areas. Due to the fact they let Intel do the R&D on the end-user machines IBM makes, that let's IBM concentrate on their own 'dog food'. And not have such a legacy world to support like Intel and Microsoft does. IBM has fingers in a lot of places, but, like the Romans, let those places self-govern.

This should prove to be a win-win for both Apple and IBM.

I can't wait.

8. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

amen to that.

9. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

IBM will be known as the company that brought back Apple's market share in computer market and the company that enabled home computing in 64 bit style.

10. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Wait for it....

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

11. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

IBM Has more going for it if it has stakes in both wintel and apple systems it gets the best of both worlds plus its own high end systems get more time spent on them than on wintel systems...

If they have got this right then there going to make a killing on the systems...

All up id say that intel might be looking at making deals with them soon as well..

THATS A GUESS BY THE WAY

12. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Until you dance with the Devil, you can't hope to beat him.

13. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i want ibm and apple to have a perfect relationship that will overtake wintel, but it just won't happen

but the new chip seems, on paper at least, to narrow the speed gap

intel and amd are just way too far ahead and when things get more 64 bit, intel has everybody beat and athlon64 will leave g5 behind...in the dust

but for now, before intel's move to 64 bit for everyone and amd's new athlon and while 64 bit is new to home computing with the introduction of the g5, apple looks to be an equal or near equal in the speed wars

14. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Of course, since AMD is having major scaling issues with the Athlon64, and Intel doesn't plan to put 64 bit on the desktop until 2007 at the earliest (iirc), that 'equal or near equal' may last for quite a while...

Intel's Prescott chip is roadmapped to reach 5GHz with a 1200MHz bus in 2005. I think I dual 3 GHz 970 with 1500MHz buses and a good compiler (IBM has hinted at adding autovectorization) would do ok against that (plus, 3GHz 9xx's have been promised in <= 12 months, rather than in 2005). If IBM puts fun stuff like SMT, on chip memory controllers, or dual cores in when they go to .09 micron, I think it could do rather better than 'ok'.

<edit> I still tend to agree with you, but you have to admit that it's looking a lot better than it did a month ago </edit>

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Puts new meaning in the term "IBM compatible". :) IBM does sell Intel and AMD PCs, but Sony sells cameras that work on the Mac and Apple sold a Windows iPod. And M$ sells Office for Macs. It's all about business, and money. And if one department can sell to a competitors side, so be it.

Just think of long ago when Steve hated IBM. He's been buying chips from them for awhile, and now they are our "saviours". In a few years, it probably won't matter anymore.

And as far as AMD and Intel are concerned, I don't think they're wetting themselves just yet. But so far AMD seems to be having some troubles of their own. Not many places you can buy an Opteron. As mentioned, right now Athlon64 is vaporware. At least you can preorder a G5.

I'm sure someone's gonna flame me for this, pointing me to Boxx and giving benchmarks. But I don't really care. The G5 is cool, 10.3 is cool, and Apple + IBM should be pretty cool.

I just wish Apples were less expensive. ;)