If iMac G5's Power supply goes...is the screen still good?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AlmightyG5, May 18, 2006.

1. AlmightyG5 macrumors 6502

If the Power supply on an iMac G5 goes for whatever reason...does that effect all the stuff connected to the motherboard? Would the screen still work? Also can you swap a screen from one iMac G5 to another?

2. G99 macrumors 6502

G99

I'm not sure what would happen - I haven't tried it myself :p
    Best thing to do is: not to risk it!

3. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

The power supply has nothing to do with the screen. I recently had to replace the PS on m y wife's 1st generation iMac G5. I took it to an authorized Apple service shop. Parts and labor were $118, including overnight shipping of the part.

I imagine you can swap the screen, but it's not an easy task. You'll have to take the whole thing apart.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yes and no. As with anything requiring power, a power supply can destroy the screen but as you say, it's not really gonna happen. If you had a massive power surge, potentially every component could be destroyed.

As for swapping screens on iMacs... Yeah, it wouldn't be easy at all. :(

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

power has to go through an inverter, i've never seen an lcd blow because of a psu, it could happen, it's just unlikely

(i'm on a bit of a posting spree 4 posts to 4k w00t)

6. AlmightyG5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Why would it be hard to swap screen? Just take off the back and doesn't the front plastic come off too? So you just take off the screen and put in the new one.