If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by paleck, Aug 3, 2006.

1. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

Then Apple should be happy about LG and Verizon's latest attempt to make a phone that looks "sort of" like a black nano.

Behold (no I am not making the name up): Chocolate

Now I understand that other companies want to ride on Apple's iPod coat tails, but can't they at least try to design something that won't make me want to claw my eyes out.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It's been out in the rest of the world for many months. I know two people who have had them and loathe the UI

3. paleck thread starter macrumors 6502a

paleck

Wow.....I guess I'm out of the loop, in which case go on about your business and pay no attention to my rant!

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

The only people who are currently making decent phones are Nokia, Sony Ericcson, B&O and Samsung (some of their models)...

5. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

The version that verizon has just launched is a little bit different to the European one in looks and it's pretty ugly. Loses the sleekness IMO. Probs still has the dastardly UI.

Attached Files:

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The Chocolate phone looks cooler than the Nano, IMO.

7. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I have no doubt about this.

I'm about ready to throw my RAZR out the window, and the woman switched us over to RAZRs because she hated her LG (the maker of the Chocolate) so much.

None-touch iPhone will put the rest of these punks to shame, anyway.

8. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

I am so glad there is someone besides me that loathes the RAZR. I wen't through 5 of them in 3 months for warranty issues and crap quality. I finally switched to a blackberry.

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Don't feel bad, I did not know about this either. :eek:

10. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

11. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

It looks nice-ish, but somehow doesn't quite do it for me.
    And then I wanted to get a feel for its size, uh?... How large is my lipstick again? *reaches for purse*

Attached Files:

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I just switched from Sanyo to Samsung and it wasn't the greatest change even though the A900 is a powerful phone. The UI is terrible and simple things are inconvenient. It's almost like Windows. I wonder if Motorola RAZR haters would be yelling.

LG's Chocolate doesn't seem any worse than their Fusic that Sprint sells but it doesn't matter. They're all built with 64 Kbps files in mind. It doesn't really matter how they look because they end up sounding bad. The look is meant to draw attention and it will. Hopefully, it will draw attention from the bad sound.

13. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

They're not immitating the Nano.

The phone is the most successful in Korea, and was launched there in the beginning of 2005, I believe

It came here about 4 months ago, I had one. It looks different to the US version - which leads me to believe Verizon have requested its change, and have this MP3 ability.

The Korean and UK versions do have the MP3 facility, but do not focus on it (ie: the buttons on the front are cleaner and sleeker, and do not have the same layout of the 'wheel' in the middle). The Chocolates still on sale in Korea and the UK do not have this, neither do the new models just released.

It was released before the Nano, therefore, I don't think its immitating it - although Verizon may have requested this change, if its exclusive to its network only (Like Vodafone does with Sharp and Sony Ericsson, in the UK).

14. dcv macrumors G3

Ugh, what's up with that wheel thing in the middle?

The UK version doesn't look too bad...

[​IMG]

15. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

*hugs sony ericsson phone*
    seriously, why cant any other company design a decent ui for a phone? using any other phone after my w610i (well, other se's excluded) just feels so primitive and weird...
    some motorola and lg and other brands have good looking hardware, but theyre so hard to use...

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I have loved SE, but was thinking about testing out a Nokia model (don't know which one) as my next phone. I heard their UI isn't so bad, and I have this feeling at their build quality is better. The one thing I don't like about Sony Ericsson phones is the build quality. They don't break down, but the plastic and the general way they were put together doesn't feel as solid to me.

17. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I've had SEs as my last 4 phones and I like their UI. Things seem reasonably sensible to do; the address book function makes sense since it's better to have one entry per person with multiple numbers associated than having an entry for each person's number (which is how Mum's Nokia seems to work) and the ability to use things from SMS in other places seems logical. What I don't like about it is the web browsing (I don't do much of it but it's a pain since the inbuilt browser doesn't seem to work with pages I want to get to).

I'm 'due' an upgrade this month and I'm wondering whether to go and have a look at the Nokia N80 as a possible replacement. The recent SE's seem to focus either on Walkman features (which I don't need/want since the whole proprietary headphone narks me plus I have an iPod) or camera ones which aren't all that great. I'd like one that does the web better, images similar to my k750 and has good battery life. A bigger screen than the k750i would be good too.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The K800 is coming out, and I'd like to go with that when it's finally out in wide circulation. It's a "Sony Cybershot" phone, so it's likely to take some great 3.2 MP photos.

Since you know that I do enjoy photography, I thought this feature would be a perk. However, I'm still considering Nokia because their camera is supposed to be comparable, and the build quality might be better.

But yeah, SE has been great. Great UI that has never been confusing for me. Very natural to use, and I really don't see why i should switch, but I might just to spruce things up. SE phones tend to look the same, have similar menus, etc. However, new experiences could be better.

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The UK one is not bad at all....what the hell is up with the other one...anyway I won't be getting it. My phone has been giving me problems as of late...I'm going with a blackberry.

Bless