If ios 7 comes out, is an 1st gen ipad still usefull?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Tokyo1138, Sep 3, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Aug 11, 2013
    Like the title says. I got an family member that got one. Im curious that when ios 7 comes out i saw an posting that they want developers to update there icons to ios 7. But by then will they (the apps) still be usefull? Any help is apreciated. Many thankss.
  2. Guest

Jan 29, 2008
    Glasgow, UK
    iOS 7 isn't compatible with the 1st Gen iPad, in fact neither is iOS 6. The last version of iOS the 1st gen received was iOS 5 which, for now, is the furthest back most major apps go in terms of compatibility.

Apps which still support the 1st gen will continue to do so until such a time as the developer updates the app and changes the system requirements to run them. That could happen with iOS 7, it may not.
  3. macrumors G5

Jul 29, 2011
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
    Well, it's not going to be upgradeable and hasn't been since 6, but I have friends who still find their old Ipad's useful...Web browsing, listening to music etc. Still a lot of them out there in daily use.
  4. macrumors 68030

Jan 17, 2013
    United Kingdom
    If all else fails it would make an excellent place mat. Thinking outside the box.
  5. macrumors Core

Oct 17, 2011
    Its not about icons but actual apps only being compatible with iOS 7 and up. It's already the case with apps that have been updated to be iOS 6 compatible and up and the original iPad can't run them. It will still be useful of course just less and less apps will be compatible over time and existing ones might not be updatable to new versions (but could still be used as before usually).
  6. thread starter macrumors member

Aug 11, 2013
    This i already knew. Also because of the fact the first wasnt compatable with 6. Its jsut im curious about when developers updáte there software to ios7 that it will still work with the first ipad. Though she doesnt do much just a little internet, but mostly banking btw. Thanks for the fast responces guys

Lol. Well know its not even great for that. Cause ofit uneven back :p:D:rolleyes: nice try though
  7. macrumors 68040

Aug 24, 2012
    New York, USA
    I have a 1st gen iPad and I only watch movies from iTunes and stream netflix. Works for me.
  8. macrumors 68030

Oct 31, 2007
    London, UK

It's up to devs to the extent they include backwards compatibility with iOS. To be honest I expect iOS7 to lead to a significant reduction in iOS5 support in practice I'm afraid.
  9. macrumors 6502a

Dec 21, 2011
    Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Still good for general Safari usage or for things like music or movies synced from iTunes. Still supports iCloud, so things like Calendar are still usable too.

I would say it's still useful for basic tasks, but as third party apps continue to get updated, it will begin to show its age more and more.
  10. macrumors regular

Sep 3, 2013
    Of course it will still be useful. Only when the lights go out!
  11. macrumors 65816

Jan 23, 2006
    Where I live
    If it was still useful on September 9th, it will still be useful on September 10th.. (or transpose to the actual official release date)...

Devices don't automatically die the day a hardware or major software upgrade happens... although manufacturers would love it!
  12. macrumors regular

Oct 17, 2007
    Others have covered it well: it's still useful, but it definitely won't run the new stuff.

I did recently upgrade my son's iPad (that he shares with his younger sister) to an iPad Mini, 16 GB Wi-Fi. A lot of the new children's apps require iOS 6 or higher. This is probably less important for a person who just wants to use it for Internet, email, and downloading some digital media.
  13. thread starter macrumors member

Aug 11, 2013
    and that what im afraid of a bit... its still an alright ipad 64gb+celluar though i little sluggish after a while... she could get an mini. but she about 80 years old lol. its an mini alright for old people? :p:D
  14. macrumors G3

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    No it wouldn't be. You would have to be iOS 7. You can't on that model so you are stuck with the last version of the apps that worked with iOS 5. Which is fine if it's fine with the user.

There s no single answer for that. Because not all old people are the same. She would have to try it herself to know if it is alright
  15. thread starter macrumors member

Aug 11, 2013
    thanks for the advice chalituna. though she is a bit on herself... once problems will arise with the ipad i will take her to see what else they got on display. ;) plus they are plans the open a genuine apple store here in the netherlands (the second) so i could show her that
  16. macrumors regular

Sep 14, 2012
    This is a valid question, I am a developer and have been struggling with this issue.
    See, iOS7 makes it harder to be backward compatible than previous versions of iOS. iOS6 compatibility is not as big of an issue as iOS6 already had introduced layout APIs (autolayout) that simplifies layout management for different systems (screen sizes, layout changes between different versions of iOS,etc...).
    But making apps compatible for both iOS5 and iOS7 can be a real challenge, so many developers talk about dropping support for iOS5, which would drop support for iPad1. We are not excited about that as we have many customers with iPad1, but we have only so much time to make everything work...
  17. macrumors Core

Oct 17, 2011
    Quite a few dropped iOS 5 support even with just iOS 6 being out. Still, if you already had/have an app that is compatible, and a new version becomes incompatible, you still get to keep the compatible versions and generally speaking it will still work just fine (without you getting any newer upgrades or fixes of course).
  18. macrumors 65816

Sep 22, 2012
    I still use an iPad 1 for heavy-duty iWork work, web browsing, movies, taking notes, etc. and with the beautiful iOS 7 theme from Cydia I even got transparent white keyboard and some UI candy.

I'm getting the iPad 5 with full iOS 7 experience this December though.
  19. macrumors 601

Mar 2, 2012
    Of course it'll still be useful. It just won't be as fast.
  20. macrumors Core

Oct 17, 2011
    It will be no faster or slower than before iOS 7, since the release of iOS 7 won't really affect it one way or another (until more and more apps start upgrading and perhaps excluding iOS 5).
  21. macrumors 68020

Jan 28, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    The first gen iPad was designed to look at photos, read books, browse the internet and do emails. A laptop extension.
    it can do all that with iOS 5. It doesnt need iOS 7.

the iPad 2 was designed to do all of the above but with the addition of skyping, taking pictures, and gaming. aka starting to be more of a laptop replacement than a laptop extension. Hence why iOS 7 is a good update for what the iPad 2 was meant to be.
  22. macrumors 601

Mar 2, 2012
    Oh, I meant that it won't be as fast as newer iPads. Doesn't really matter though because iOS 7 isn't being released on the 1st gen iPad. My bad.
  23. macrumors 68020

May 1, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    It really, really won't be useful.
    Send me a PM and I'll give you my address for you to ship it to.
    Glad I could help.