Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Then what was Craig demoing on the stage?

The images looked really crisp, clear and sharp on screen, yet people seem to be reporting entirely different experiences on their phones. :confused:

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013

The images looked really crisp, clear and sharp on screen, yet people seem to be reporting entirely different experiences on their phones. :confused:

A version designed for the presentation.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
It works fine on my 4S. Some animations are laggy, but that's expected since it's a beta and that they probably had it finely tuned for the 5.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
It works fine on my 4S. Some animations are laggy, but that's expected since it's a beta and that they probably had it finely tuned for the 5.

It even works great for me, and I'm just on an iPhone 4. It doesn't seem laggy to me really. The animations are slower than on iOS 6 or before, but still fluid.

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA

There is a big difference between demoing a few features in front of an audience that you have rehearsed over and over again (and knowing what not to do to avoid a crash or a problem) and actually running the software and using it in the real world.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
It was probably the SAME beta we all have, he was likely using much better hardware... which would make a huge difference. Of course, I'm sure every transition, every app etc was all rehearsed and choreographed as well.

hoosier205

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
It was probably the SAME beta we all have, he was likely using much better hardware... which would make a huge difference. Of course, I'm sure every transition, every app etc was all rehearsed and choreographed as well.

...what? How exactly would he be using much better hardware, while holding an iPhone 5 in his hand?

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida

Highly doubt this. Bugs are bugs and if one is present, it will still show regardless of how good the hardware is. It's likely he was using a newer beta which was more stable and optimized.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Highly doubt this. Bugs are bugs and if one is present, it will still show regardless of how good the hardware is. It's likely he was using a newer beta which was more stable and optimized.
Likely a newer build and/or some custom tweaks for specific demo items.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
...what? How exactly would he be using much better hardware, while holding an iPhone 5 in his hand?
And you think it was just an off the shelf phone? If so, you are naive.
I don't have many bugs... at least, not with the default apps. Most bugs are with other apps.

gonzalo12345

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
some possibilities:

1. he was running stock apps, no third party installed
2. The demo version of ios7 probably was just a tweaked light built of beta1
3. He was using an iphone 5 with 5s or 6 internal hardware

before they do their presentations they make sure everything is good to go and it's going to be smooth

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
iOS 7 developer preview 1 is actually fairly stable for the most part (aside from missing functionalities), but there are two features that will often bring it to its knee:

1. Background App Refresh: This feature will suck battery like crazy and frequently causes iOS to complete lock up. I strongly recommend turning it off.

2. Multitasking tray: Tinkering with it will eventually cause iOS to reboot. Don't use it.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Movie magic. It was all a video that he just tapped on the phone to make you think it was live

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.