if iPod mini was cheaper?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mikeabnooy, Feb 8, 2004.

1. mikeabnooy macrumors member

Jan 22, 2004
    Everyone moaned and had a belly ache that the iPod mini is 250 bones. but i don't get why. The rumors were that apple would be coming out with 2gb and start at 150...okay... well even if they did, double the memory, up the price and there's your 4gb mini for 250. It just makes sense to me.

I guess the question is... if the ipod mini were 2gb and 150 would you get it? yes or no... why<optional>
  2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

Nov 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    The main problem with the iPod mini's price is that you can't help but compare it to the 15GB iPod's price. Only $50 more (or $40 more with the education discount) and you get almost 4 times the storage capacity.

Basically, the price is too close to the iPods not to compare them. If it were $200 or less, then it would be in enough of a different price category to make the comparisons subside.
  3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    i was sort of surprised that it wasn't some sort of flash memory... that was no moving parts... but whatever... 250 doesn't seem all that bad to me... its a different animal than the regular ipod, thats why i cant compare it to the 15...
  4. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    there was a thread a while back justifying its price and it did a comparisson to the pther players the ipod is competing agaisnt (flash memory) and it came out well price wise.
  5. mikeabnooy thread starter macrumors member

Jan 22, 2004
    about article and prices

i saw that article and i understood the competition... i just posted this to see what others really thought. I've poked my way around here and it seems some just really really can't stand the price. Cheapos? idon't know... oh well
  6. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

Jan 31, 2004
    Tokyo, Japan or Longview, Texas
    I would almost certainly buy a 2 gig mini iPod if it were $100 (if I could get OS X on the only computer in the house that has a FireWire port), but that's about where I draw the line for non-essential electronics equipment. I would really use it quite a bit, but since I don't digitize much music, I would not need much more. The rest would be for shuttling documents around.
  7. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    I wouldn't buy a 2 GB player at any price; my music collection is larger than that, and I want to carry around at least a majority chunk of it.

And, I have to say, if the present iPod mini were priced at $200 rather than $250, I'd already have one (provided I liked the buttons--haven't had a chance to try one out). Why? Because I'd want a dock, and by the time you add the $39 dock to the $250 mini, you're only looking at $10 more to get the 15 GB iPod. That, and even without the dock it's a little too high-priced for a "what the heck" purchase for me.
  8. tiktokfx macrumors regular

Aug 7, 2003
    DC Metropolitan Area
    Of course, you'd have to buy a dock for the 15GB too.

FWIW, my music collection is way too large for any iPod, no bmatter how big, so I'm looking covetously at buying a mini iPod this summer for when I start taking the Metro 2.5 hours a day to school and back this fall. 4GB may not hold my whole collection, but as long as I have to limit myself to less than the whole thing, it might as well be in a smaller pacakge and save my pocket space.
  9. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2003
    A Higher Level
  10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    at $200 it would be in a different class from the 15 gig ipod.

at 2 gigs and $150, it would be a real flash player killer.

where it is now... it's just sort of floating in limbo. You can get a cheap flash player for much less, or a nicer ipod for a little more.
  11. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

Jan 20, 2002
    Washington DC USA
    I also use mine for Metro. I have about 7 gigs of music on it (10 gig 2nd gen ipod). I couldn't live with a mini at all. Especially when the blue and orange lines are stopped due to a cracked track :D
  12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    But then why buy the Toyota Celica over the Toyota Corolla for $3000 more? I mean you get two more usable seats.

It is all about style and size. And style has it price premium. Even the iPod is pricey compared to some of the competition. But style is a factor there too.