If it looks like a civil war, and walks like a civil war...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

...and talks like a civil war...chances are it is a civil war.

Washington Post

While it is true (as the article later points out) that there are different definitions for what constitutes a civil war, I think NBC is probably right. Go even further down the article, and you'll see that various news organizations have been on the edge of calling it that for a while now.

I expect to hear other news orgs pick up on the term now. Followed by bleating cries of "liberal bias!!" from the neanderth--- er, I mean, the neocons.

2. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

3. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Thomas, you're becoming a regular thread factory. :D

I remember when Rumsfeld and his crew were still denying the insurgency, prefering to use the term "Dead Enders." This is definately a civil war, but GW is too damn chicken to admit it.

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It's only been obvious for about a year and a half now, which means it'll be another six months or so until Bush acknowledges it and plays it off like he's been with the program the whole time.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I believe the current administration position is that it can't be a civil war because all of Iraq is not involved. By this definition no civil war ever occurred in the United States either. I have also noticed a distinct lack of mutton chop sideburns and handlebar mustaches in Iraq. We'd better hope those Iraqis don't get hold of a bunch of muskets and cannonballs, or we're really in trouble.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Jon Stewart had a good take on it, as usual. Basically pointing out that no matter what semantics we use, it's been a civil war for quite some time. It's been pretty obvious for awhile to the rest of us, just taking some time for thr MSM to catch up.

Could've sworn they started trying to call it that over a year ago though.

7. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

By-product of a blog I've been doing. I've been linking to a ton of political news lately. :p

8. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

I'm surprised Bush and his cronies aren't hanging by a noose for all their war crimes and political posturing to undermine the US constitution.

9. takao macrumors 68040

takao

it has been called that way around here quite some time ..even more so after the last days where on some more than 200 get killed by attacks

10. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

What's more obvious than this. It has been a civil war for a very long time now. Civil war was expected the day Bush announced the war against Iraq.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Problem is with Bush & Rove is that they seem to think a spin phrase will solve the problem, lets just call it sectarian stife, or a insurgency movement, more spin from the king of spin. This administration has even gone as far as claiming there isnt any Hunger in America the spin for that one is........... Food insecurity:rolleyes: Spin phrases solve nothing at all and I for one am getting sick of the spin from the administration of lies.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It wouldn't matter so much if it was only the secretaries... :p

13. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You have a Secretaries' Day? :eek: :confused:

When is Tea-Ladies' Day, then?

15. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yes. There's even a Boss's Day, where we celebrate the people who have the power to fire you.

16. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Iraq has never been an insurgency. By definition, an insurgency requires an armed conflict against a legally constituted government. Iraq did not hold elections or ratify a constitution until long after their current revolution took place.

So, what WOULD happen if we pulled out and went home (besides saving a lot of American lives)?

Iraq would probably dance in the streets (remember when they were suppose to do this when we arrived).

The puppet government, we put in place, would probably disappear like a fart in the wind.

Whoever is really in-charge of Iraq would emerge as the new government.

The foreign members of the Islamic Jihad would quickly find themselves 'unwanted'.

Iraq would once again be in charge of the world's largest oil reserve. Oops..that is not acceptable. After all, this is the spoils the victor inherits. The plan all along has been to establish a neocolonial relationship with Iraq. This can only happen if the new government owes its position (and existence) to Uncle Sam and Western Europe.

Once again, US intelligence, or policy analysts failed to factor the resolve in people who are fighting a foreign invader, and/or cannot shape their own destiny.

17. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

That, and the machinations of the military industrial-complex warned by President Roosevelt would steamroll its way through all branches of government, since American jobs (scattered strategically throughout the States) depend on commencement of a war. Iraq was just the easiest target.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

They'd definitely be more short handed.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

20. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Ah yes, the Military Industrial-Complex. Eisenhower gave it a considerable amount of time in his "Farewell Speech To The Nation". I still find this a rather courageous move on his part. After all, he was at the center of it for a substantial portion of his military/public life. I have often wondered why he chose to address it then and there.

I do not know what I find more frightening; International Oil, or the military industrial-complex. Or, is there any difference? Rather hard to tell. Both have taken on a life of their own. I do not think even the major players have control anymore.

Noam Chomsky gave an excellent lecture on the roll of the MIC during the recent Indonesian Civil War. The bottom-line; America allowed millions to perish in order to sell arms to both sides. When it was no longer in our interests to continue it, we brought both sides in and gave them the ultimatum, stop or else. It stopped immediately. Few Americans have any clue of this ever taking place. The news networks must have been busy that year. :(

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sorry, I'm not your type.

22. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

"... you're part of the rank and file".

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I agree, its hard to tell who's in control of this country, the military industrial complex or the Government who is bank rolled for their campaigns by the same military industrial complex? Bush still wont admit there is a civil war, I guess every pissed off Iraqi is a insurgent? Even today the military was saying the F16 that got shot down was surrounded by insurgents? Now how the hell does the military know from 15,000 feet these werent Iraqi's? Just give everyone a label. Even our military is now using Bush/Roves spin terms.

24. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

You don't take dictation?