If It's Stupid and Causes Pain...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cslewis, Jun 5, 2006.

1. cslewis macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2004
    40º27.8''N, 75º42.8''W
    ... then it seems like we've all done it. Fresh from the agony of scalding hot tea dribbling out my nose, I decided to post a thread about the ingrown human stupidity gene that often rears its ugly head. What are some of the stupid and painful things you've done lately?
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Walked through another glass door. This time it broke. :eek:
  3. nbs2 macrumors 68030

Mar 31, 2004
    A geographical oddity
    You know the bus that feeds electricity to a house? Well, one time I was trying to figure out why my friend's friend's cabin didn't have any power (turned out the bill never got paid) and it was dark outside. I grabbed it. That was a tingly feeling and a half. I couldn't feel my arm for the rest of the night.
  4. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
  5. CompUser Guest

I was walking down the hallway at. We have these decorative things made out of fake slate that just out of the wall. I was walking down the hall at the end of school, and I was opening up a book while walking. In the process I stuck out my elbow and hit right on the rather sharp corner of the fake slate decorative things (see pic). It stung a little but I was bleeding like crazy.

See the grayish blue brickish looking things on the left. Thats what I am talking about.

Sorry for the HUGE picture. I'll see what I can do to reduce it.
  6. floriflee macrumors 68030

Dec 21, 2004
    Let's see... there have been several.... To name a few, I commando-rolled into a wall while playing secret agent with an old college buddy. (several years ago)

I tried hooking my watch up to a small generator and turning it up all the way...with the watch still on my wrist. Thought I'd see what would happen to the watch without thinking that the alligator clip was also touching my very conductive skin as well. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: (again, several years ago)

The most painful thing I've done recently, though, is skiing down a mountain faster than I knew I should go (thinking I was invincible or something), catching an edge on my outside ski mid-turn and tearing my ACL in the process my body still turning, but my leg not. The actual tear wasn't so bad, but the recovery after surgery was a beast! (about three years ago)

My short term memory is going now so I don't remember any of the more recent ones. :D
  7. iRachel macrumors 6502a

Apr 21, 2005
    The Soybean Captial of the World
    I tried to walk out on my porch this morning. Bounced off the screen door instead.:eek:

Actually, I consider myself lucky that I didn't hit it that hard and go right through it.

It didn't really hurt all that much, but I sure felt stupid.
  8. Leareth macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2004
    Today :

put tea cup on coffee table except coffee table 2 feet to the left of where I thought it was, spilt tea on floor, cat and journal articles I was reading...not painful but stupid:rolleyes:

last week : stapled finger in stapler...twice:eek:
    stubbed toe at grocery store on the watermelon crates and ripped off toenail...:eek:
    Grabbed roasting pan out of oven with bare hand...ouch, at least it wasnt the glass one...
  9. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

Jan 24, 2006
    I spilled fresh tea on my lap a few weeks back. My legs literally burned from the temperature. I had to wear soft shorts for at least a week.
  10. adk macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2005
    Stuck in the middle with you
    I got my toe run over at work the other week. Thank god for steel toes.
  11. Lau Guest

I fell up the stairs last week. :p
  12. XNine macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I moved in with a girl... after I told my self not to the first time I did that.
  13. Leareth macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2004
    I have done that a few times
    hurts alot more than falling down...
    the damn stair edges do a number on shins, wrists and face...
    where as going down you can roll, kind off...:rolleyes:

and I have done the walking into glass door thing a few times, finally got rid of the damn sliding door between den and living room...I might add that all the times I have walked into them was at night with out my contant lenses in...:)
  14. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    I went to the beach without sunblock even though I was recovering from a pretty bad sunburn from the week before.

My arms and back are killing me now. :eek:
  15. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

Jan 19, 2003
    In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    One time I was sleeping, and then all of a sudden I woke up with a dislocated shoulder. I had to wake up my neighbor to get him to drive me to the ER so it could be put back in. I must've been having some crazy dream!
  16. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

Sep 6, 2005
    I went to a "Poetry Smash"

Scariest thing I've ever seen in my life...:eek:

Woops. Oh well.
  17. iBlue macrumors Core

Mar 17, 2005
    London, England
    for no apparent reason, as if possessed, i lifted my hand off the desk and poked myself right in the forehead. :eek: i have long nails and it left a mark. that was 2 seconds of my life i'd rather not understand let alone admit.

p.s. i have tons of unfortunate stories like this. i told this one because it happened an hour ago.
  18. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

Sep 29, 2003
    During christmas, I was putting lights on the roof and was too lazy to walk to the ladder/wanted to surprise them, so I just jumped off the roof...longer jump than I thought. Rolled my ankle, luckily didn't break it.

Then like everyone else, grabbed a pan out of the oven with my bare hands.
  19. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Apr 16, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Well, we got a new coffee table that happens to be a lot bigger than our old one and well I wasn't paying attention and walked right into it. :eek: Now my knee hurts.
  20. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    That was me two weeks ago!
  21. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    I tripped over my box of MR member voodoo dolls this afternoon.
  22. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Had been sitting so that one leg went 'dead' but then decided that I'd be able to walk to the kitchen for a drink. Trouble is that the 'dead' leg couldn't cope with any weight so 5 steps from the sofa... bang, I hit the ground. Still have a bruise on my thigh :eek:
  23. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    I called a girl that treated me like *beep*...over and over again when everything in me told me not to...JACKARSE!

Also i drop my slice of watermelon twice in one sitting..couldn't get a third:(

24. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    Sometimes when i sleep i will wake up and my entire right arm from the elbow down will be limp. Cannot feel anything, move fingers or hand or wrist.

I will move it up and down with my other hand and i can't feel it moving and i can't feel my other hand grabbing it.

Its because of the way i sleep sometimes I just happen to sleep on it and put it to sleep by cutting off circulation.

Freaks me out every time thou cause it takes like 30 seconds before i can move any of my fingers again.
  25. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

Dec 16, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    None of these are recent, but in no particular order:

1. Called a buddy at his house and asked him where he was (this was before the days of everyone being surgically grafted to a cell phone).

2. Walked into a horse ridden by a cop whilst holding an open container.

3. Got married once.