If later on you found out that Apple is sending your fingerprints to the NSA...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zellio, Sep 11, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

Feb 7, 2012
    How would it make you feel about Apple, and about buying iPhones? At this point in time you are a fool if you believe ANY tech company when they say they aren't sending data to the government, but fingerprints is a whole new thing...
  2. macrumors regular

Mar 26, 2011
  3. macrumors 6502

Aug 12, 2010
  4. macrumors 68000

Jun 24, 2010
    How can we fully trust what Apple says about not storing full fingerprints on the phone? Apple is in the business of selling phones and making profit; they would tell us anything to get us to buy a phone. One little request from the government and they could easily flip on us. And that goes for any company including Google.
    No company in the US has higher power than the government. Scary part is that your fingerprint is the most valuable thing you have and when you tie it to electric data records and transactions it becomes more than a finger print; that's your entire life bundled into a single device.
  5. macrumors regular

May 24, 2012
    I would rather them have my fingerprints than them have access to all of my private internet data and access to my phone calls.

What could they do with my fingerprints?
  6. macrumors 6502a

Dec 21, 2011
    Prince Edward Island, Canada
    I wouldn't really care. If they want, I'll walk into the nearest government office and give them my fingerprint.
  7. macrumors 6502

Sep 28, 2012
    Well IF your a criminal this would worry you. If they ran the fingerprints in afis they can get hits on outstanding warrants etc. I'm not a criminal so I don't care even if that was the case.
  8. macrumors 603

Jul 11, 2006
    Exactly, they can't do much of anything with your fingerprints. Plus if they want them they have them anyway for most people.
  9. macrumors 6502

Aug 4, 2004
    Can I assume you've never traveled outside of the U.S. or gotten a driver's license? They take your fingerprint as I.D.
  10. macrumors 68040

Dec 16, 2011
    The government already has your fingerprint anyways.
  11. macrumors 6502

Oct 19, 2011
    Tin foil hats for everyone!

On a serious note...

The NSA has collected your entire Internet history and all the personal information contained within. With all of this information, they can profile you with an amazing degree of accuracy. This means they practically know you inside and out unless all you've managed to do on the Internet is be a complete troll. Even then, they still have your location history and other personal info.

All of that and... you're worried about your fingerprint? You guys do know that a fingerprint alone is worth diddly squat right? Especially if you aren't committing crimes with said fingers. That other information they have though? Your privacy is effed whether or not you ever commit a crime. Our government rocks doesn't it?
  12. macrumors member

Sep 4, 2013
    I really don't care. I have nothing to hide.

What is the big deal?? People are getting so emotional about this. Its crazy.
  13. macrumors 6502a

Sep 20, 2012
    I wouldn't care. Would you paranoid people shut up and lay off the Alex Jones and bong tokes?
  14. macrumors 6502

Oct 19, 2011
    Well, the problem is that our privacies are being invaded. That is unconstitutional and IS illegal. Yet our government is allowed to get away with it. They have 0 right to collect ANY of our information on a whim. This is not a communist country, so they should stop acting like dictators.

Want to know how bad this whole situation is? It's so bad that the prospect of my fingerprint being given to the NSA isn't bothersome when compared to all the other crap they have collected from me. When viewed in that perspective... it's effing scary.
  15. macrumors 6502

Oct 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    The government already has my fingerprints so I really wouldn't care.
  16. macrumors 6502a

Sep 8, 2007
    To the original question: I'd seriously consider not buying an apple product again. Come on, that's an outright, blatant, to my face lie about what this equipment does. Whatever you feel about the potential privacy issue.... How could you not care about that dishonesty?

To everyone else who doesn't understand the issue: it's not the fingerprint, it's what is linked to the fingerprint, namely location and behavior. I made this analogy elsewhere, it's like saying I shouldn't care that somebody wants to put cameras on every street and in every room because "hey, the government already has your picture"
  17. macrumors newbie

Jan 1, 2013
    I'm in the military so they already have all my biometric info already :eek:. I can't really stress about it. Bring on the 5S baby
  18. macrumors 6502

Nov 9, 2011
    I second this!
  19. macrumors 68040

Mar 3, 2008
    Did you not see the story that says the actual print isn't stored? It's one thing to be suspicious. After all, the US govt, especially since Dubya, has been trying to circumvent the constitution. It's also ridiculous to ask this question. Of course we're going to be mad.
    Besides, you're going to wonder about apple when google has been violating your privacy left and right?

Take off the tinfoil hat. :rolleyes:
  20. macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2011
    Geez. Some of you people are really paranoid.

I'm no criminal, so I could care less.
  21. macrumors member

Jul 8, 2013
    Hawkes Bay, New Zealand

Got booked a couple of years back.

DNA swab and everything.

I figure Im screwed anyway
  22. macrumors 604

Jan 8, 2012
    Do you guys think using your fingerprint on the iPhone is going to be the last thing it's ever required for in your life time? Maybe identifying yourself at a bank or something else?

People said the same thing about social security numbers. How many of you guys use your social security number as a passcode for your phone? Or anything?

I'd assume not many.
  23. macrumors 6502a

Sep 8, 2007
    Actually, seems like most people here don't care a lick
  24. macrumors newbie

Jan 1, 2013
    Chances are if you are worried about being watched by the government you may have bigger issues other than a fingerprint scanner on a cell phone. At the end of the day when uncle sam wants you uncle sam is going to get you.
  25. macrumors newbie

Jan 12, 2013
    Canberra, Australia
    Seriously..... everytime you go to a bar and have a few beers you are leaving your fingerprints to anybody that has an interest in collecting them?

If the government want your fingerprints they will get them.

Now pop your tinfoil hat back on and continue looking over your shoulder