iPad mini If mini 2 does not have retina will you buy?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thadoggfather, Nov 22, 2012.

?

Sale or no sale on ipad mini 2 sans retina?

1. Have mini, will sell/hand it down for non-retina mini 2

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Have mini, not enough reason for non-retina mini 2

13 vote(s)
    38.2%
  3. Don't have or want mini, will buy non-retina mini 2

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. Don't have or want mini, same with non-retina mini 2

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. macrumors 68040

thadoggfather

Lets assume ipad mini 2 will have A6 and 8MP camera but no retina, same screen like ipad 1 to 2. All for the sake of this poll. Will you get it?

Edit: not to say I have any clue what next generation will bring and/or won't.

2. macrumors 6502

supertomtom

I won't. I usually upgrade every other cycle anyways. Retina mini next year will be enough to persuade me to break my routine but if it doesn't, I'll just stick to my plan to get 3rd gen mini.

3. macrumors Core

alphaod

If it has the A6, it definitely won't have a Retina display.

You can't expect the iPad mini to have a crazy high resolution display with power hungry GPU and long battery life.

4. macrumors 6502a

Maybe it could sacrifice battery life for better screen & cpu like Ipad 3?

5. macrumors member

No retina display, no buy. I'm used to the retina display on my 3rd gen iPad so I can't see myself using a non-retina iPad Mini. I've tried using the Mini in the stores and I didn't like how pixelated words appear.

6. macrumors 68040

Depends what specs it has besides no retina. Why are folks concerning themselves now with a future Mini by the way?? Enjoy what you have.

7. macrumors 68000

If the price continues to be £269 I'll buy one every year and give the old one to the misses.

8. macrumors 65816

Possibly, but I think that Apple sees the mini as the portability first device and the full sized iPad as a features first device. If this is the case then they would not be willing to comprise the minis size or battery life just to include a retina screen

9. macrumors 6502a

It's a toss up between the first two answers. I don't upgrade to each new device version each time a new one comes out but rather look at the attributes of the new version and decide if there is enough benefit to me to be worth the cost

I was perfectly happy with my ipad 1 in most respects but the cameras on the ipad 2 were a compelling enought feature for me to upgrade. I did not purchase an iPad 3 or 4 as I don't feel the trade off between the retina display and its cost in terms of procssing heat and battery are worth it to me.

Unless there is some breakthrough in these costs of a retina display, I would be LESS likely to purchase a retina mini. If they figure out how to deliver similar performance and size and weight and battery life and charging time in a new mini with a better display I'm all for it.

For now I love the form factor and functionality of the mini. I was happy with the iPad 1/2 screens and while the retina is clearly a superior screen in terms of resolution and fidelity, the mini screen suits my purposes just fine. A lot is going to depend on your usage patterns and personal preferences.

10. macrumors 6502

smooth

Considering my iPad is just a few months old and I am not one to upgrade just because a new model came out, when my iPad does start slowing down too much I will upgrade to an iPad Mini whether it has retina or not regardless of which revision it is. My guess is it'll likely be the iPad Mini 5 :)

11. macrumors 65816

I'm not convinced we will see retina in the mini 2 so I'll most likely stick with my usual plan of skipping a generation. I've never used the iPad for a camera so any upgrades there are not going to sell me on a new iPad. Other than an occasional lag playing Real Racing 2 I haven't found any situations where I've felt the A5 mini is underpowered. If the mini begins to feel underpowered (not likely) by he time the 2 comes out I might consider upgrading without Retina, but I don't think a SoC bump and a better camera will be enough for me.

12. macrumors 65816

I'll probably keep this one for a few years. Retina would be nice but not a must have for me.

13. macrumors regular

If that was the case I really wonder what Apple would do to differentiate the original mini from mini 2. With the A6 you would probably get some sick battery life, but that would be all thats changed. Who really takes pictures with a tablet? I don't think the design would change as it seems they did all the could to make it as slim and as light as possible but Jony Ive is a wizard so anything is possible.

14. macrumors 6502a

The next update may not bring a retina display, but it will happen.

The iPad 3 gained about 8% more weight and thickness going to a retina display. If the same holds true of the Mini, then we're only talking about an ounce heavier and less than a millimeter thicker. A totally acceptable compromise in my view.

15. macrumors 65816

It may not however be an acceptable compromise in Apples view. I believe the 7.9" and 9.7" have different design goals. The goal of the 9.7" is to be the best tablet available so taking on a little weight and size is not as important as giving it a retina display. The goal of the 7.9" in my opinion was to be as portable as possible. Adding a retina display would compromise on that goal. As nice an addition as the retina would be Apple might not do it if it compromises on he mini's main design goal. Obviously I have no way of knowing what Apples design goals are for either device, or where there willing to compromise.

16. macrumors 604

ZBoater

I'll buy every single Mini upgrade Apple puts out, whether its crap or not.

Resistance is futile.

17. thread starter macrumors 68040

thadoggfather

Resistance is futile. Good point.

I've had every iPhone (would have skipped 4S but I found an excellent trade offer for my 4 and cash) and every ipad (first gen for a month before switching to the 2) except the 4.

18. macrumors 6502a

If folks will purchase my old one for at least 2/3 of what I paid for it I'll upgrade to the new.

19. macrumors 65816

20. macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I probably would

But I know the next mini will have Retina so I'm not worried in the least.

21. macrumors 68020

teknikal90

Anandtech doesn't think next year's model will have retina

22. macrumors 65816

Possibly, but a few years back many on this forum "knew" the next iMac would certainly have Bluray. We all know how that worked out for them

23. macrumors member

nanotoj

Same here...

24. macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Some of us knew 3 years ago it wasn't going to happen.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=7812804&postcount=4