If new PowerBooks are released......

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tekmoe, Oct 9, 2005.

1. tekmoe macrumors 68000

what are the chances they will be available at the Apple Stores the same day of the announcement? I want to get my hands on one as quickly as possible after the announcement is made.

Does anyone remember how it was back on January 31st? When they announced them then, could you go into the Apple Store and buy them the same day?

2. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

I'd say the chances would be pretty slim, but Apple has been better about getting inventory in place than in the past. I'd expect at least a 1-2 week delay for ordering a new PB, if they are released at all. If you live near one of the more major stores, you have a greater chance of a shorter wait.

3. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

The chances may not be too terrible, depending upon the degree of upgrade.

To my knowledge, iBooks were available in stores the day of their last update.

I could very well be wrong, since I bought mine over the phone, but it's certainly worth a shot.

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It will all depend on what Steve says at the announcement. Sometimes he says will be available today or will ship at such a date. I would give the Apple Store a call before visiting.

5. tekmoe thread starter macrumors 68000

cool deal. i will be hitting every rumor site like flies on poop, come tuesday and wednesday morning. i want an updated 17" badly.

6. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I ordered mine the second they became available and it took 3 weeks to arrive. I'm in Australia though.

7. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Mine took over two weeks to arrive, and I lived in California at the time. Unless you pick up one of the few stock models they've sent to the stores, wait time is invariably more than a week and usually much more.

My nano, actually, also took some 3 weeks to arrive. But I resisted the temptation to buy until some time after they were released, so it's my own fault for ordering in the peak of demand and the low point of supply.

8. themacman macrumors 6502

i hope they are available now or at least within two or three days cause im leaving the country and it would be wonderful to have my brand new pb.

9. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

I would say that your chances of getting a stock model the day of the announcement are quite slim. BTO model, obviously zero. If you really want one, I would go the Apple store and hang around before the announcement. That's the only way you would have a shot, but it might not even happen :(

10. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Well they certainly won't be available in less than 3 days. The announcement will be on Wednesday, and there's no proof that new PowerBooks are among the product updates/announcements to be made. I'm not entirely convinced that they're going to be announcing anything beyond a new PowerMac. New iPods maybe, too...but I just don't see a major change to the PowerBook at this point in time. Of course, I could certainly be wrong.

11. MacPassion macrumors member

Three weeks and much more expensive than in the States.....pretty disappointing from Apple....

12. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

I remember back in 2003 when I try to get my hands on the TiBook 1Ghz. Took over 8 weeks to get it and when I got to the store they said that was a reserved for someone else. I ended up going to compusa and grabing the last one there. The other guy was pissed that some 15 yearold got the PB before him.

Back on the subject, I highly doubt there will be plenty of new PB laying around. If I were you and really need the PB, send a couple of friends to stake out different apples stores. In california I think I could get 5-10 people to stake out different stores. :)

13. djkny macrumors 6502

Considering Apple's recent track record and vainglorious obsessions with marketing, it'll be "released" on Wed, and will be ready to ship in late DEcember.

14. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I took full advantage of the last PowerMac release when the price on my
    Rev B 2.0 dual G5 dropped from $2299 (education) down to $1699.
    That price reduction made it possible for me to buy a better display, more RAM and a very badly needed A/D interface.

If you're budget concious, be ready to pounce on a price reduction on
    PowerMac 2.3's and PowerBook 15" 1.67's while they last.
    A few hundred bucks off a current 12" PowerBook would have them moving rapidly as well.

If the new offerings are spectacular, then be prepared to stand in line
    and wait.

Either way you'll be able to buy with peace of mind.

15. tekmoe thread starter macrumors 68000

hmm...sounds a little discouraging. i am hoping i can get a powerbook as soon as they are released. i don't want to have to wait as i have already sold my 15".

i am going to buy the biggest fastest baddest laptop that apple brings out.

16. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

One time saver, I've used is making certain that your funds are available,
    then doing a phone order wiring the funds from your bank to Apple's designated account.

It's a pre-paid direct deposit cash transaction to Apple so it may knock
    a few days off your shipping time.

Debit cards can be a hassle if you have a daily spending limit.

I had a terrible time keeping life away from my dedicated Mac fund, so I understand what waiting is all about.

17. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

With new products, it's usually inventory that is the problem, not order processing. With BTO systems, they have plenty of time to clear your payment in the extra couple days it takes them to assemble your computer. Short of having Apple on speed dial while watching the presentation, there's no way to get an edge if there just aren't any computers to ship to you.

If you're not going BTO, just get them once they're in the stores--it'll be faster than waiting in line for shipment in plenty of cases. Then you can deal with your debit card or whatnot while holding your precious new computer. (If you use debit cards for large purchases, just let your bank know ahead of time that you'll be placing a large order in the near future at Apple Computer and you need your limit raised to at least x amount. They're more than happy to accomodate you.)

18. tekmoe thread starter macrumors 68000

i anticipate the corporate apple stores (we have 2 here in dallas) will have new powerbooks the same day they are released. the moment i find out new powerbooks have been released, i am calling both apple stores to see if i can come pick up my brand new 17" monster. if so, i think i may have to call in sick to work...

who else is planning the same idea?

=)

19. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Ehh, you could probably find something pretty close in the Apple store right now. Dont be disappointed on Wed.

20. tekmoe thread starter macrumors 68000

oh trust me...there will be NO disappointment. that is, IF i do get one! =)

21. deetschei macrumors member

if new powerbooks are released...

you should still buy an ibook because they'll still be a better deal! :p

22. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

They better put the power back in Powerbook and lower the price $100 all around to have a decent chance of getting people to upgrade to them.