If No 'Headless iMac' Is Introduced, What Will Happen?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by LaMerVipere, Jan 9, 2005.

1. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

Will the Mac rumour sites implode; will Apple's stock take a dive? Or could the possible introduction of an iPod micro erase any potential backlash that would be derived from the absence of a Headless iMac in Steve Jobs' keynote? :confused:

2. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I don't think it'll help the stock. I think the iPod micro would be more visible and could help the stock more than a lack of the iMac mini would hurt the stock. That being said, if both rumors are true, the stock will take off.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The stock price has taken off due to the music, if the headless eMac were not introduced -- it would be seen as just another rumor.

If the iPod Flash fails to show, then the stock would get hammered a bit. They expect a unit increase due to the iPod Flash.

The headless eMac would help prevent a further shrink in education sales, anything in the consumer space wouldn't impact the stock as much as the iPod.

However, if the headless eMac actually doubled Apple's market share...

Edit: we have a headless iMac right now, it's the SP PowerMac G5.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

We'll all endlessly whine and complain because we expected it, with people saying it's a let down that it didn't happen. Endless pages of arguements about marketshare and people saying they'll switch to Wintels. Mostly the same people who say Apple is just like M$ because they sued ThinkSecret because "what's the big deal, it's not like the hurt anybody".

For the record, I'm expecting something more along the lines of $599-699, and people will still complain no matter how cool it is. Remember the iPod mini?

5. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I still think the mini costs too much... ;) Yes, yes... I know it's extra portable. :rolleyes:

6. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

I'll drink the Kool-Aid. Just Kidding

But remember stock price is based on rumors.
    Buy on rumor sell on news. ;)

7. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

I'd be very disappointed. I'm really looking forward to Tuesday.

If the rumor that Think Secret brought out was false, I hope Apple quickly developed something before MWSF, at least so that they can announce it. This would fit in with Apple being angry at TS cause "aw darn it, now we have to make one or else everyone, including stockholders, will be disappointed if we don't". Hehehe I like making up theories with not even a remote possibility of being true :D

8. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

LOL...ahh yes, the iPod mini launch. I think the biggest lesson learned from the iPod mini launch is that the average forum denizen has absolutely no idea what will make a successful product, or what is truly in demand 'out there'. There seemed to be a huge amount of negative feelings on many tech discussion boards like this one and Slashdot about how badly the iPod mini would fare, and why you'd have to be crazy to buy it compared to the 20GB iPod. Yep...we all got that one right.

So yes...I think you're right. Whatever happens on Tuesday, there will be complaints about the price, features, form factor etc, and none of it will have any bearing on the eventual success or failure of the product whatsoever.

That said, I'd like to get in early:

"$599?!?! What a rip off! I would have bought 20 of them if it was $499, but now I'm buying a Dell instead!"

"Pfft. Only a 1.25GHz G4?!?!. What a stinking piece of rubbish! BTW, my 12" iBook r0x0r5!!!"

"I'm waiting for iHome G5!"

And I know this link has been posted many times before, but I always love re-read this page when there's a big new product announcement rumoured. It's spot-on :)

http://www.misterbg.org/AppleProductCycle/

9. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

People will riot in the strees, like after the Raiders lost that one time... it will be complete choas.

10. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

everybody will go "WTF"

11. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

What will happen you ask? Well, there will not be any switchers and Apple will not increase market share. Sadly i'm not optimistic. :(

12. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

While I'm praying it'll come on Tuesday - and actually ship, instead of those so-called "paper launches"... if one isn't announced, it won't be the end of the world. I will just return to my original plan of keeping this iBook around until the summer or December, and get a new Mac, whatever it will be is a decision I'll make at that point :D