If only Apple made phone systems

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jasonwood, Sep 1, 2004.

1. jasonwood macrumors newbie

Right now, if you want to buy a decent phone system, you look at Cisco, Avaya, 3Com, Nortel, or Mitel. Maybe I missed 1 or 2, but the point is, besides being practically the same products, two things seem notably consistent:

1) They are all moving to VoIP
    --- Note: IP is right up Apple's alley!
    2) None of them seem willing to embrace an open standard to allow for simple CTI (Computer Telephony Integration)
    --- Note: Apple embraces open standards

If I buy a brand new state of the art IP phone system, you'd think I'd be able to use XML or some other basic standard in order to, say, click a button in FileMaker to dial up a client on your telephone extension, or, retrieve call display information from your set and automatically lookup the client file. Seems pretty simple, so why isn't anybody doing it (or if they are, why aren't they talking about it??).

I'm telling you, this industry needs a little jumpstart on the innovation front, and who better to introduce it than Apple.

Okay, so maybe asking Apple to develop a full fledged IP phone system is a bit much, but I bet they could do a softphone that would work with others' phone systems (and bluetooth headsets), and AppleScriptable to boot. That would be the bomb.

Just think about it: get that ugly phone off you desk; maintain the same audio quality; and customize all the features the way you like them right into your FileMaker database via an easy language like AppleScript. WOW!!

Well... I can dream.

2. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

heh i wish. there are Mac OS X compatible soft phones for VoIP users, but they are fugly. Apple could make something real nice I bet, and integrate it at the OS level so incorporating call functionality into programs would be a cinch.

i too will be dreaming.

o and VoIP offers higher audio quality than standard phone systems, AFAIK.

3. jasonwood thread starter macrumors newbie

My understanding has been that VoIP is not itself a protocol, and so the software is different depending on vendor of the system and type of system

eg:
    Cisco vs. Mitel vs. 3Com
    or
    office systems (traditional PBX replacements) vs. national/international VoIP service providers

4. jasonwood thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I have misunderstood something about VoIP protocols. I guess most of the VoIP vendors are using H.323 or SIP, which I gather are open standards for VoIP communications. Does that mean the phones are compatible with each others phone systems?

Can anyone provide clarification here?

I'm starting to think there is a much better chance of achieving what I want - maybe not from Apple - but a good solid product is all I'm really looking for.