Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crackintosh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I predict that a disk will not be required to install Os x lion. Why would superdrives get pulled from the shelves for a simple hardware update? I doubt the optical drives would be incompatible. Streaming keynote, hd video distribution, apple is equipped to do this. Not to mention their intentions of being 'green'. Someone prove me wrong.

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
MacBook Air External Super Drive's are being pulled. Apple already allows over-the-air installs of Mac OS X with an app that comes with every Mac called "Remote Install Mac OS X."

The MacBook and MacBook Pro still have an optical drive built-in and won't be loosing it anytime soon.

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
It would be fun to have OS X 10.7 come on a read only USB flash drive... I always install OS X/windows from a USB source nowadays, much faster than with optical media.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
I've installed OS X from external storage devices many more times than I have from disks. I wouldn't mind at all if they started releasing OSs on flash drives and even as downloads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.