If OS X and Windows were cars, what would they be?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by blodwyn, Mar 23, 2005.

1. blodwyn macrumors 65816

If OS X were a car, it could be a Lexus - smooth, comfortable, stylish, quiet and reliable. Runs week in and week out without fuss, with just a little regular maintenance.

If Windows were a car, it could be a turbocharged Yugo with a body kit - flashy on the outside and fast enough, but feels old and clunky, uncomfortable, and requiring constant maintenance to keep running.

Any other suggestion?

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Everyone is always asking "If OSs were cars...", no one ever asks "if cars were OSs..."! :rolleyes:

3. Bear macrumors G3

Actually, Mac OS X is more likely to be a Subaru. Subaru's have all wheel drive and a decent repair record.

Lexus is overpriced and doesn't add anything really.

4. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Funny. When I saw the thread title, I immediately thought OS X = Lexus.

As for XP? I'd say that it might have once been a Yugo, but the owner has over-welded larger, heavier fenders, hood and quarter panels from other cars (including, of course, a Lexus ;) ), and has added a truck bed and an RV cap to it all. Of course, the chassis that it all sits upon remains a Yugo, there's a hole in the floorboards for those fanciful Flintstone brakes, and the security alarm is just a dummy blinking light that doesn't really fool anyone. :rolleyes:

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the only problem with Lexus analogy is that OS X really isnt that overpriced

more like a Lexus with Toyota prices :D

6. blodwyn thread starter macrumors 65816

Nice! And the door locks can be easily picked with a paper clip. Also, while you're driving around, you can suddenly find your car has been taken over and you end up driving to a sex store even though you didn't want to go there. Every time you try to drive away, another sex store appears in front of you.

7. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

It's not quite the same topic - that thread does not assign current auto brands to operating systems - just discusses feature sets. It seems you were a little brusque in your post when pointing out "repost".

More on topic, I was expecting Windows to be compared to a Ford Excursion or similar behemoth and Mac OS to be compared to a Toyota hybrid of some sort. (runs on *nix technology - more efficient?)

8. blodwyn thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh nooooooooo! Let no-one post anything intended for a bit of fun without doing a search, lest they incur the wrath of the (cue scary music) Archive Dwellers!!!!!

Be afraid, be very afraid........

9. apple2991 macrumors 6502

The most uncomfortable cars ever.

10. ----Bowie---- macrumors regular

11. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Lol the thread I point to is barely over 2 months old. I'm not digging up something from 2001; this is from 2005.

Maybe you should click the link before opening your big mouth. (cue 3 Stooges theme)

12. Loki.Mephisto macrumors regular

Germany / Austria - Mozart, no Kangaroos!
    Mac OS X ist surely a BMW. Runs extremely smooth, runs perfectly through corners and provides maximum fun. It´s well designed and none of these Far-Eastern cheap-a.... You can impress girls :)

Windows seems like some Asian manufacturer: Also has 4 wheels, a steering wheel, air condition, power steering, but driving it nevertheless seems odd. It provides lots of features, but none of them works like it should.

13. blodwyn thread starter macrumors 65816

For info I did click the link before replying, and enjoyed the post which I had not previously read, so thanks for that. The action of taking a harmless fun thread and deciding to do a search to check if it's been covered before and then trying to kill it by claiming a repost, is something I'm boggling at. If it was a technical thread that may have some relevant information in a previous thread I could understand it, but fun posts????? Way to kill off the fun side.

14. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Max OS X = quality foreign automobile

Windows = American wannabe

I've had Hondas and Nissans for the past 10 years, and it's amazing the quality they put into the little things; not to mention the engines, which last forever. It was like switching from Windows to Mac. I switched last August and I never knew the quality I was missing until I did it.

15. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Windows
    [​IMG]

Both the car that it represents what it tends to do.

Edit: How could I forget the Ford Pinto? It both crashes and burns!

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I agree with most of the analogies here. I reckon we can agree that OSX would be something like a quality/good car and XP is a crappy car but what would Fedora be? The community bus?

17. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Try not to be a hypocrite. You killed the thread when you did this:

2 entries found for ad hominem.
    ad hom·i·nem Audio pronunciation of "ad hominem" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hm-nm, -nm)
    adj.

Appealing to personal considerations rather than to logic or reason: Debaters should avoid ad hominem arguments that question their opponents' motives.

18. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

19. emw macrumors G4

emw

You're both killing the thread. Can we give it a rest?

On topic - I think that OS X is a Jaguar:

[​IMG]

While Windows is a Kia:

[​IMG]

Looks similar, may even act similarly in some cases. But in the end, it's just a copy of the original.

20. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Wow! If the old Merc E-Class married the Jag S-Type I reckon they'd have a car that looked like that. Eeewwwww :eek:

21. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Your right! That is a horrendous 'vehicle'.

I don't think I would call OS X a Lexus because a lexus is a toyota inside, and OSX is nicer than a toyota. I would call OS X a lexus though because they are reliable. I think I would call OSX a BMW because its fun to use, fast, sporty, etc. Windows I would call a honda element. Disproportional, ugly, stupid, cheap, etc.

22. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Pointing out that something is a Toyota is not really an insult anymore. Unless you like to pay more for less.

Link

23. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Windows? A Jaguar - a car that many think is nice because at one point (MS-DOS), it wasn't all that bad. It's a car that the masses would willingly drive because, well, it's a Jag and they don't know any better. I think that the quality of Jags have not improved (regardless of what some may think)

Linux? I'd say either the VW bus that crazy people live in or the Honda Civic b/c all the little car people are obsessed with modding it.

OS X? I'd have the toughest time with. It would be a car that runs well, is efficient, a bit groundbreaking, and if something goes wrong it won't die on you. Now, with all that and the market share that Apple has, I'd call it the Ford Edsel (look it up). But, what will it become? Not one of the Euroluxury cars - those are too expensive to maintain. It has a lot that comes standard - you don't need to buy additional products for it. User's are rabid followers with massive brand loyalty, but it is broadly accepted by the public, even nay-sayers, as a sight to behold. I might have to go with the Chrysler 300 (ever since the Benz buyout, quality has markedly improved.

So, here is my list:
    Windows - Jaguar (with each of the many versions being a different model)
    Linux - VW Bus/Honda Civic (?)
    OS X yesterday - Ford Edsel
    OS X today and tomorrow - Chrysler 300

24. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

hi all,

i know this is just a fun thread, but i think we need to give windows a bit of credit.
    i use both OS's and in my opinion they perform just as well as each other.....both have advantages and disadvantages....
    yes in windows there is the likelyhood of an attack, but i have never had one, i think that the majority of people who have problems are the ones that are easily swayed by spyware and malware...who wants a free bahamas holiday? (actual value £1, may be exchanged for holiday)

i do admit however, that i do prefer OS X, because of the apps and GUI, and of course design of the computer.

but i really like windows too.

so, to sum it all up, i put ye olde OS's into the form of automobiles.

OS X = renault espace, because that too offers convinience, security, comfort, space, room to expand, and comes with loadsa goodies such as a panoramic sunroof :D

windows XP = VW golf, because the golf has a sense of style, sophistication, and has all the things that you need in a nice package. if it falls into the wrong hands, or damn stoopid drivers, then it can get real ugly real fast.

well there you go! as you can see i have a very small minded taste in cars :eek: :D :rolleyes:

tastic