If OSX Was Available on Non-Proprietary Hardware, Would You ...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Apr 21, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 6502a

iJesus

The integration of the software and the hardware is what makes a mac a mac.

If Apple ever opens up, I might go to Linux. Yes, I said it.

3. macrumors regular

My mac is way too sexy. I would probably go to Linux too.

4. macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

I for one would not care to run Mac OS X on anything but a Mac. I do not need to worry about if the system will work now or later. I can just enjoy using it for those projects that I have.

Reminder to self - plug in XP system at the end of the month to get SP3 updates to remember one of the reasons I switched. :D

5. macrumors 6502a

NotFound

would you use it with a fox, in a box?

6. macrumors 6502a

iJesus

Eh, I'd rather eat my green eggs and ham with a Penguin; and not have to pay for it. :p

7. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Time to get out the Home Defibrillator and run down to the bankruptcy court and see anything can be done with the corpse of Amiga at that point.

8. macrumors 68040

motulist

The options are too black and white, so I had to choose "other."

"Yes, I would ditch my Mac for non-proprietary hardware" implies that I tolerate my Mac hardware in order to use OS X and that I definitely would switch hardware given the opportunity, but that's not at all true. However, I would CONSIDER switching to non-Apple hardware for some of my computer uses, and in all likelihood I'd probably wind up with some Apple Macs and some non-Apple OS X machines.

9. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No, I will not ditch my Mac (laptop), however I would likely buy an additional "open" system (desktop) if the specs look good.

10. macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Are we talking about legally running OS X on a generic box, or the "FrankenMac" and "Hackintosh" systems that probably exist in the hundreds right now?

Life gets a lot worse when you trade in your Genius Bar appointments for tech support from a brain-dead technician that may or may not have a heavy accent. (Or "zero" tech support for the "FrankenMacs.")

11. macrumors regular

i had a look and to be honest id still get the mac just because the lower end machine is ok for the price (cos you kin upgrade.... possibly) but when you go higher y take the risk with that kind o money?

12. macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

This does not compute. Why would OS X running on open hardware motivate you to run Linux? It wouldn't change your situation in any way if you are already running OS X on a mac.

13. macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Linux.Maybe.

14. macrumors 68000

mklos

I wouldn't totally ditch the Mac. I love Apple's hardware and their designs. There's just simply nothing like it on any other platform, or even a DIY PC. I would consider getting a tower, or maybe build my own tower with OS X on it. But I would definitely still own a genuine Mac.

It would be nice for me to have a tower that I can use at home for various things. But I also need a laptop, so I would go MacBook or MacBook Pro there.

Like others have said though, there's more to a Mac than just the OS. Its the whole experience. Some non-Mac users just don't get it and no matter what you do, you can't drill it into their head. They simply don't get that concept. So if Apple did allow it, it would be the end of Apple as we know it. Maybe the company would stay in business, but their computers would eventually end up being "just another computer", only classier than the rest. In other words, their computers wouldn't be what they used to be.

15. macrumors 68030

BenRoethig

I would go forward with replacing my 12" iBook with either a 13" Macbook or Macbook Air, but I would get my desktop from another company. This iMac is an amazing family machine, but is far too limited for my needs.

16. macrumors 68020

sunfast

I'd probably have a generic box hidden somewhere for any heavy lifting and major storage but I'd have an apple laptop that would be the machine I'd use all the time.

17. macrumors 65816

freebooter

I don't like having so little choice.

Mid-range desk-top? iMac with a glossy screen. Only.

:mad:

Jobs and his cabal suck.

18. macrumors 68000

SPUY767

In either case, the numbers seem like a win/win for apple. There is interest in and loyalty to the platform.

19. macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I would still use and love OS X. I tried using Linux and just can't understand how it works.

20. macrumors 68000

SilvorX

I like Macs because it's a perfect integration of hardware and software, but at the same time, Apple could improve.. ie on the Mac mini.. it had/has potential to be a great desktop machine but they haven't fulfilled the idea. A mac mini with specs similar to an iMac would be nice

21. macrumors regular

jephrey

Why not? At least to try out for fun. I'd still buy apple hardware, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't try out a really inexpensive alternate (if it was really less expensive) for the kids or something like that. I've always been a "you get what you pay for" kind of guy. But if the price is worth trying to prove that statement wrong, then I'm open to it...

Maybe if someone made $200 hardware, with obviously low specs, that would be where I'd be willing to buy it. However if the alternative was $700 for something that was like a headless iMac, I'd opt for the apple hardware and get a mini. Maybe less performance (or so the specs say), but Apple hardware.

So that's my cutoff. If you make $200 hardware that'll run OSX, I'll try it out... Otherwise, there's something that Apple makes in a similar price range

22. macrumors 601

DMann

New Minis

This would be the tipping point for many switchers.

23. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'd buy a (fairly) expensive business laptop and run OS X on it. Sorry Apple your hardware isn't good enough.

24. macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I wouldn't run OSX on anything but a Mac.

They were designed for each other like ..... Love & Marriage or Custard & Applecake .. :)

25. macrumors 6502a

I'd still buy an Apple Laptop, id keep my macbook pro and macbook but i'd never buy an official Apple Dekstop.

On my current DIY Pc, With the latest kalyway of 10.5.2 i dont need to do any messing with code or install any other drivers, everything just works, including accelerated 7900gtx graphics, sound, network, AHCI sata, the lot. It's ALOT faster than my macbook pro, and easily as stable.
    Before anyone asks, i also bought an extra licence of Leopard.

I can only assume if it was officially opened up it would be even better.

Granted, the reason osx works so well is because apple know what hardware is it being put on.

Whats the problem of approving specific motherboards, graphics cards, soundcards for use with OSX? Those are the key components that affect the compatibility and stability surely.

Narrow down the scope of hardware that will be supported to ensure stability.

This would free it up for people to use custom cases, monitors, processors and graphics cards while keeping the generic architecture the same.

I can think of many friends that would like a mac, but without the price tag.

As long as the hardware was approved by Apple i really don't see the problem. They can still make their own laptops/desktops for the people that really want the best possible stability/support.