If Panasonic can build this, the next macbook air better be freaking amazing.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by fibrizo, Mar 15, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

fibrizo

*Censored* Because there's no reason to discuss something on these boards.

2. Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

If this is even legit it's a very ugly looking thing!

Attached Files:

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

fibrizo

It is legit. I was hoping that the specs would be matched at least by the new air, so I wouldn't have to go with another MBP. It's not a looker, but it's tough, tiny, light and uber powerful... just missing the looks part :)

Feel free to google panasonic laptops and the R9 if you don't believe me. The 3 second boot time is also intruguing. I wonder what it's doing to do that.

4. macrumors G3

NT1440

Why would you want to type on a cramped keyboard like that?:confused:

5. Moderator emeritus

sushi

I've seen this in person.

Played with this and earlier models on numerous occasions. Almost bought one. However, for me, the keyboard was just too small to be useful.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

fibrizo

*deleted* Op is tired of bothering with people obsessed with having the highest GIGAHERTZ vs actual performance.

7. macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

It still runs Windows. And it's not too pretty either.

8. macrumors 601

Scottsdale

There lies the problem with the Ultra Low Voltage Arrandale CPUs. They're too slow (ie. 1.06 and 1.2 GHz)! I definitely would NOT say "OMG fast." However, it might be more equivalent to the MBA's CPUs than we first consider. Since it does boost to over 2 GHz, and the MBA currently really uses a 1.6 GHz clock speed most of the time and can be as low as 800 MHz when throttled.

It only has the Intel graphics which blows big time, but it's far more capable within the Windows platform. The other features aren't all that either. I hope the MBA is 5x the computer that this little "netbook" is.

I definitely hope the MBA's Core i7 is the Low Voltage (LM) variety (not the ultra low voltage this netbook has). I most want to see a 25W TDP Core i7-640LM in the high end MBA, and I want it to be paired with an Nvidia 310m (utilizing Optimus). I believe those specs are completely realistic and I am not setting myself up for letdown in those specs. If I wished for the 330 GT, like the Sony Vaio Z, I would be setting myself up for letdown for certain. Of course there's always an ATI option, but I want it to have hybrid graphics like Optimus. It will allow us a minimum level of graphics that conserves battery but much more capability when needed.

9. macrumors G3

NT1440

That doesn't really look like a tiny package to me, its more brick shaped than anything.

10. macrumors 6502a

reebzor

Looks a lot like the CF-T7 I have sitting on my desk. Too bad my panny is a 1.06ghz Centrino duo slow as crap.

11. macrumors regular

bunit

That thing is FUGLY, and it runs Windows!:apple:

12. macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

A ROUND trackpad? Seriously? :confused:

13. macrumors regular

It might beat the current Macbook Air, but how is it in any way more powerful than the current line of Macbook Pros? The CPU is only 1ghz. A Macbook Pro of the equivalent price is 2,6. Not to mention it has a dedicated GPU and more ram? Besides that probably all other components like the motherboard are of higher quality.

I mean, Macbook Air competitor sure... But it is in no way anywhere near a Macbook Pro.

14. macrumors 601

Scottsdale

This DEFINITELY does NOT belong anywhere near the MBA forum. This belongs in "crapgadgets" somewhere.

15. macrumors P6

dukebound85

looks ugly even if it has nice specs

16. macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I think Linux is default at that price. Nice bit of kit for sure, with the space we have in our MBPs Apple should be able to blow that away with the new releases.

17. thread starter macrumors 6502

fibrizo

Ok, I think people missed my point. I don't want to buy one of these. Nor do I think it replaces a macbook air. I simply thing it has an amazing combination of parts and gives us a good idea what should be possible with the new macbook air.

As for people who say the i7-620um or i7-640um is too slow since it's 1.06 and 1.2ghz... stop with the ghz wars... they both turbo boost up to 2.13 and 2.26 ghz respectively.

Also when compared to the SU9600 (core 2 1.6ghz) performance of the 620um is about 40% faster. The 640um would be faster as well. Plus both processors would be hyperthreaded so it would make quite a few applications faster as well. The low base clock speed allows it to sip power. I honestly think that it would make a rocking macbook air with great battery life. I think that the LM series will likely go into the macbook pros.

The 18 watts is close to the 17watts with the SL9600, and that includes integrated graphics. I know intel gfx sux... But this does give them room in terms of power usage to add a lower spec optimus to the mix.

I just hope that they don't decide to do the i5-540UM. With the 640UM + intel chipset we're looking at 21.4w+optimus, Vs the sl9600 + 9400m = 17+12w = 29w. We'd end up with longer battery life most likely and better performance.

The 640um+optimus would run circles around the current high end macbook air, and probably the 13 inch non discrete macbook pros. Throw in a 2.5inch intel SSD... and you'd have an amazing machine that sips power and performs great.

While a 25w tdp processor would be nice, I think the increased battery drain and heat output especially with a discrete graphics option in a very small case might be more trouble. Besides. Apple's gotta save something for the macbook pros.

And yes, I hope that apple surprises me and I'm wrong and we get faster processors in the air lol. (anything but C2D)

18. macrumors 603

You mean like all MacBooks/MBPs?

Only if you define MBA forum as a place for discussion of nice-looking useless things.

19. macrumors regular

My Eyes... My Eyes!!! Why God, Why Have You Forsaken Me!!!

20. macrumors 6502

Exactly!

21. macrumors member

Yes the macbook air will be absolutely amazing if Apple plays their cards right.

The only thing is turboboost is only available when plugged in and most people who will buy a MBA will have it unplugged most of the time or at least I would imagine. And a 1.2 ghz (even with hyperthreading) would most likely feel much slower than a 2.1 ghz processor.

22. macrumors member

aixporter

Was about to say the same thing.... its an ULV.

23. macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Hint for all users: specs are NOT the end all, be all.

24. thread starter macrumors 6502

fibrizo

Again, I have to say... it's not an apples to apples comparison for gigahertz... I don't know why this is a hard concept. a 2.0ghz atom processor is much slower than a 1.3ghz C2D. These are different platforms. Having never used a i7 ULV, I can't say anything for certain though. Anyone who has used a i7-640um please speak up about your experiences with speed.

Also turboboost has no relation to battery. This is odd disinformation from those who have never used an i5 or i7 processor. All that turbo boost means is that while the TDP of the processor is under the maxium thermal envelope. Ie you're only using 1 core, or not using the integrated graphics, the cpu will overclock itself up to 2.26ghz while the thermal characteristics allow. If your try running a 3d game on the integrated graphics, the cpu will clock down (based on power and heat consumption)

[​IMG]

I'm going to hazard a guess that most of the time you'll be running much faster than 1.2ghz. since from my own experience with an i5, I'm rarely loading 1 core, let alone 2. and when I load the 1 core, the processor overclocks.

This, along with a different processing core is why the arrandale is much much faster per clock and overall vs core 2 duo.

I could only find a few japanese benchmarks for the i7-620um and i7-640um. The 640um seems about 5% faster in benchmarks. CPU scores on PC mark 05 were 4520 and ~4750 respectively. This is actually benchmarked with the lower end 1.06 ghz i7-620um in a panasonic r9 as listed.

Benchmarks in Japanese

This is compared to 2629 on the original macbook air rev A 1.6 ghz... and 3706 for the rev C 2.13 ghz...

Macbook air rev C benchmarks

If you look at the specs, it has no SSD so the overall system score is the same on both systems due to the massively increased ssd score on the macbook air. The intel integrated graphics are slower 1777 vs 1980 with the nvidia chipset.

But my previous statement stands. As a cpu... the i7-620um and i7-640um are out of the current macbook air's league. The 1.06ghz 620um is 22% faster than the fastest current macbook air. the 1.2 ghz 640um is 28% faster.
    Strap on a geforce optimus solution and you have an uber macbook air...

Oddly it seems faster than the 13 inch macbook pros too.

infact I saw the Asus UL30Jt It's a 13.3inch laptop with an i7-620/640UM + Geforce 310m w/ a 12 hour battery life. These should be the min specs for the next macbook air.

So before all the naysayers jump to conclusions, these are real numbers. Please use such before you would dismiss having an ulv in the next macbook air.

25. macrumors G3

NT1440

He's talking about the MBA. There is no way these components would fit in the MBA and not have it melt in front of you, the OP is mistaking footprint and thickness.

Edit: Actually, I'm not entirely sure how an ULV processor would be heatwise in a package as thin as the air.