If Steve Jobs does buy Disney...

Discussion in 'Community' started by leftbanke7, Feb 13, 2004.

1. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

Feb 4, 2004
    West Valley City, Utah
    According to this article, SJ and Pixar are looking at the possibility of putting in a bid for Disney.
    If they are successful, here are a few changes that I see for the Mouse company:

Disney's California Advernture will be called Disney's Cupertino Adventure

Disney's sports network will be known as "eSPN"

The music played during the Main Street Electrical Parade will be changed in favor of music created with GarageBand and played on an iPod

All new computers bought through Apple will come with free mouse ears.
  2. coopdog macrumors 6502a

Oct 5, 2002
    The Great Midwest
  3. Sayhey macrumors 68000

May 22, 2003
    San Francisco
    It would probably suck for Apple but it would be great for Disney and for Pixar. It is one thing for Steve to split time between Apple and Pixar, but I don't think it would be possible between a Pixar which owns Disney and Apple.
  4. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    if steve jobs bought disney then we'd see macs not only in every movie and TV show, but every children's movie too :).

5. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i dont see it happening, steve will then have to split his time 3 ways, i want steve to be working on making my powerbook g5 a reality!!! hehe
  6. lem0nayde macrumors regular

Apr 26, 2002
    I don't know why anyone would want to buy Disney. It's an antiquated sinking ship. Jobs should buy Apple instead, merge it with Pixar and take over Hollywood, renaming it JobsWood.
  7. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

Jan 7, 2002
    2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    theres not a snowball's chance that jobs/apple will buy disney.

after eisner's fall, maybe jobs would be on the board( and renew pixar's deal with the mouse) but steve gotta know running disney would be a fate worse than death.
  8. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2002
    besides, comcast is making a bid for disney right now
  9. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    My son is too old for saturday morning cartoons so I get to watch FoxNews. I just saw Steve Forbes suggest that Pixar should do the takeover.

Everyone seemed to say that comcast wasn't going to happen.

Dunno what's going to happen though.
  10. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    usually when it comes to reading about "business" and "steve jobs", it is a piece about how he missed the boat and dropped the ball...but for the first time, it's nice to see him in a light where he actually may be a player

he is worth 1.7 billion, but that's nothing on the magnitude of ellison, gates, ballmer, or allen...who are better businessmen but not the true artistic and marketing genius that steve jobs is

it's obvious that steve jobs is more interested in the consumer and empowering us and when the day is done, his 1.7 billion is not too much different in overall lifestyle than those who have 20-60 billion dollars
  11. yamabushi macrumors 65816

Oct 6, 2003
    Buying Disney could be a very good move. They have mostly lousy content but Pixar could fix that easily. The assets of Disney and Pixar would be very complementary.

A change of management at Disney is long overdue. Steve Jobs would be a good choice as CEO of Disney but someone else could also be hired to fill the position after the acquisition.

I don't think Pixar would be foolish enough to change the name of Disneyland.

By the way I think Comcast is an especially poor match for Disney. Both would struggle if such an acquisition were to occur.
  12. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    A disney Pixar merger might work best the way that the Apple NeXT merger went.

Honestly though the best company to buy out Disney would be someone like GE. Not GE obviously because they own NBC but some other blue chip mega-corp. They can go in, clean house, throw out the home grown bureaucrats and replace them with ones who understand management.

Another thing Disney should do is remake "Follow Me Boys" and get Kurt Russell to star in it(again) Watched it last night on DVD and my son and other boys from his troop are watching it now.