Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which iPhone would you choose if both had the same exact features?

• 4.7" model

Votes: 71 65.7%
  • 5.5" model

Votes: 37 34.3%

• Total voters

Anthony T

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
A big issue most Apple-lovers have with the newest generation of iPhones, is the extra features that the Plus models have, while leaving the smaller model shorthanded.

A lot of people claim that they went for the Plus model for the better battery life and Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) rather than just for the extra screen size.

So, if the 4.7" iPhone models had the same features as the 5.5", which phone would you go for? Would any of you Plus model owners go for the smaller iPhone if you didn't have to sacrifice battery life, OIS, etc or would you still want the larger screen?

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
If the 7 and 7 plus truly had the same exact specs and features, I would hands down go with the 7. The Plus's overall size is just too big. The only reason why I'm considering the 7 plus this year is because of the battery, 1080p screen, and rumored dual camera system. Screen *size* is irrelevant to me in this case.

Reactions: ATC and JerTheGeek

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I've stuck with the 4.7" despite the lesser specs. Hell if I was a spec chaser I'd have an android these days. I'd like OIS because I take a lot of pics and videos. I'd take 1080p though my eyes can't tell the difference. Battery life means nothing to me. I have an hour commute and desk job so chargers are everywhere.

What I would like at times is to have the larger viewing space, regardless of specs. But even at 6'7", I value my ability to wield around that 4.7" one handed in all situations vs the stretch to the top or the need to find alternate ways to get to the top left corner. That one reason will always keep me 4.7" unless they kill the bezel.

I've seen many claim that everyone can just get used to the size. Not everyone. I tried.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
A big issue most Apple-lovers have with the newest generation of iPhones, is the extra features that the Plus models have, while leaving the smaller model shorthanded.

A lot of people claim that they went for the Plus model for the better battery life and Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) rather than just for the extra screen size.

So, if the 4.7" iPhone models had the same features as the 5.5", which phone would you go for? Would any of you Plus model owners go for the smaller iPhone if you didn't have to sacrifice battery life, OIS, etc or would you still want the larger screen?
I went for the 6+ and the 6s+ because overall they are bigger. It wasn't just screen size for me. It's physically a larger phone. I prefer that.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I would hope that the 4.7 and the 5.5 will have the same features, but regardless...I will never buy the 5.5 phone, even if it were priced the same.

Simply too big...

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I'd still go with the 4.7" screen. I tried the 6 and 6s Plus at my local Apple Store, and they're both just too big. The screen is beautiful, but I'll stick with the 4.7" since that is the sweet spot for me.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
4.7n 6s now, but I would go with a 7 if it comes with the IOS, f/1.8 or better lens. I had the 5.5 6s Plus, but it was too big to my liking, and will never again go that big. Did like the Samsung S7 edge with the 5.1 screen, and would again if it had iOS instead of Android, but that will never happen either. Loved the screen.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Yep. 4.7". Unfortunately it doesn't hold a candle to the Plus' battery life, which is the best battery of any phone I've ever tried.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
4.7. That's already pushing the boundaries of size for me. I don't want to carry a man purse to bring my phone out and it seems silly that features or performance might be based on size.

Reactions: Soulman

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I would buy the 4.7 model. I don't really need a larger screen because siri and dictation work so well that I rarely use the on-screen keyboard anyway. In fact, I'm considering purchasing the iPhone SE knowing full well that the screen will be smaller than that of my iPhone 6s.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
No matter what would happen to either phone... It would be 5.5" for me all the way... Especially now. Once I went to the plus I could never EVER turn back...

EVER!!!

Hackett00

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
I'm not sure that I'd buy an iPhone if internals were the same. The pricing would be a huge deciding factor me. There is absolutely no way I'm paying more money just because I prefer what I consider to be a more comfortable and usable phone. To me, the size alone absolutely doesnt warrant the price increase. Especially if the small phone had the same battery internals which would mean much better power performance than the plus. No thank you.

petecee

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2015
Derry City, N.Ireland
It always comes down to personal preference. For me, it's the plus model all day long but I can understand why others feel it's too big. Since I got the 6s Plus, I've basically stopped using my iPad (which I used quite a bit when I had a 4.7inch iPhone 6).

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Aren't the internals the same minus the camera? Surely we aren't expecting batteries to be physically identical. So are we really just talking about camera here or..?

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Aren't the internals the same minus the camera? Surely we aren't expecting batteries to be physically identical. So are we really just talking about camera here or..?
Kind of the point though. If I could get the same battery on the 4.7 as I do the 5.5, I'd get the 4.7.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Before the 6s was announced, I told myself that if the smaller variant had the same amount of RAM as the plus model, I would rather get it. With all but the screen and back camera, I was satisfied that the specs were similar and not gimped between both models, and got my 6s 4.7 model last Christmas.

Could not be happier since. Though I'm using my gold 5s more right now as a main phone.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Kind of the point though. If I could get the same battery on the 4.7 as I do the 5.5, I'd get the 4.7.
I'm not sure that's a reasonable ask considering the footprint of the smaller screened phone is also smaller.
[doublepost=1464151522][/doublepost]
The 6S+ has a higher resolution screen than the 6S.
I guess I took the term "internals" too literally haha.

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
I would get the 7 Plus. I'm not giving up the screen real estate.
Edit: I've got an SE as a side device but it's not my main device.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.