If this isn't a blatant rip off, I don't know what is.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by TenderBranson, Jun 26, 2005.

1. TenderBranson macrumors member

RSS integration in IE 7.

[​IMG]

That RSS sidebar and integrated search box looks awfully familiar. If only I could remember where I've seen it before...

2. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

makes u feel great when APPLE gets it right the first time. its a testament to the quality of products when they are copied. i'm never afraid cause a clone can never beat out the orriginal

3. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

M$ might as well have stolen the RSS code out of Safari... :rolleyes:

4. mactel2007 macrumors newbie

really?
    then safari might as well have stolen the rss code out of OPERA browser, which had RSS integration first

5. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

who owns RSS ???

MS-IE7 (my shi** internet explorer 7) lol :D

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Amusing blog post from the Apple programmer who wrote this bit of RSS syndication in Safari.

I've been Microsofted

7. mactel2007 macrumors newbie

well he doesnt mention rss was opera first either. if they have ripped off their UI it sounds about typical for microsoft. they dont innovate.. ever.. they just steal or buy stuff other people did. always have always will!
    i dont know why anyone would use IE anyway, firefox is much better for windows users.
    to be fair, i think in the world of computers people will always steal a better idea. apple did it after being shown around xerox palo alto facility!
    "hmmm mice and a gui! good idea!" THEN microsoft stole the idea 2nd hand.
    so its like a food chain of stealing lol.

8. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

A key difference is that Apple payed quite a lot of money for the privilege of being shown around xerox. The whole point of their visit was "if we pay you, can we have our developers check out what you're doing?" Microsoft on the other hand, saw the Mac and just said "ooh, that's clever, let's do that."

9. mactel2007 macrumors newbie

this wiki entry is quite interesting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_v._Microsoft

seems m$ licenced most parts of the gui from apple, and during that legal wrangling over the bits apple said it didnt licence, xerox filed suit against apple.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is not one of Wikepedia's better pages, but it gets much of the story correct. The grounds on which Microsoft prevailed was that it had licensed the Mac GUI. The court did not understand that the license was limited. The Microsoft and Apple agreement applied only to Windows 1.0. In ruling as it did, the court gave Microsoft the right to use the Mac GUI in perpetuity.

11. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

The issue at hand here isn't RSS integration itself, it's *how* it has been implemented. The interface and visible functions are nearly identical to the interface that Apple created for Safari 2.0.

Yes. This is a *very* blatant ripoff of Apple's RSS integration interface.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't know about the "in perpetuity" part. The suit took in Windows 2.0 and 3.0, and the ruling was apparently quite narrow in terms of how it judged the value of the prior art.

An interesting footnote to this case: the one-page agreement Apple made with Microsoft was probably only signed because Microsoft demanded it as a quid pro quo to continue working on Microsoft applications for the Mac. I believe John Scully admitted this was the worst mistake he made during his time as CEO.

13. mactel2007 macrumors newbie

its weird though trying to imagine what microsoft were going to do if they were ruled as infringing.. like the judge said for some parts that werent covered in the licencing, there wasnt another way to do them.
    stuck using windows 1.0 or let macs be the monopoly?
    this is a dire warning for the whole 'software patents' debacle thats going on now.. is it worse or better in the long run for companies to be able to blatantly rip each other's ideas off... or for one company to have a complete monopoly on x or y and not even have to make a product with it?

14. IanC macrumors regular

Doh, i was going to post that link.

Dont know if they are still up, but there was some horrid comments for that entry :(

15. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Looks like the link has been taken down:
    I really want to read it now!

16. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Said IBM to Dell and Compaq ;)

17. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Touche

18. mactel2007 macrumors newbie

hah. but the reverse-engineering of the 'p.c' BIOS was a long time before the DMCA! no matter what, apple will still be able to licence their BIOS, or dongle, or whatever for any clones, should they choose to let people make them.

19. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

Umm... Is it just me or are we being hypocritical, Apple just got sued for the iTunes thing and we all said software patents were bad and all. Then Microsoft copies Apple about RSS and then we say it's horrible. There's something off here.

20. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    We said software patents were bad when they were so vague that almost anything could be in breach of them and when there was no 'real' product to compare - just sketches and a very rough idea. And no evidence that anyone else actually saw and copied the work...

There's a difference when a piece of software arrives that has entirely the modus operandus and the format looks identical to a currently shipping piece of work.

If Apple had just said a method for identifying and reading RSS feeds within a web browser... fine. But this mimics much more closely!

21. BGil macrumors 6502

OneNote, Office Suite (the entire concept), Desktop search (yes, as part of Office since at least 97, part of 2000/XP, part of Longhorn since 4015), DirectX now dictates what features video cards support as opposed to OpenGL which is the other way around, FUS, Volume Shadow Copy, System Restore, Sharepoint, Wallop, WinFS, two-button mouse, right-click menus, toolbars and task panes, basically everything that CoreVideo can do, ActiveDirectory, rich media on PDA's, start menu, context sensitive folders, the web browsing metaphor for a file browser, subscription music stores, current gen HD video codecs, RTF, AVI, XML, SOAP, Wiki's, movie download stores, Tesla, metadata based file browser, Meeting space, Infopath, video conferencing buit into the OS, lots of collaboration stuff, console internet gaming (Dreamcast and Xbox), Xbox Live (Awesome BTW), business model, "PC on every desktop", Drag and Pop, Search Clustering, TerraServer...
    Just off the top of my head.