If this (or something like it) was real...Would you buy it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by t300, Sep 21, 2004.

1. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

I would really be interested in knowing that if something like this,

[​IMG]
    http://www.oqo.com

Existed like this,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...Would YOU buy it?

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

First one no, and the others are a maybe. They would see some type of function in my life, and unless it can control my itunes express, get mail, run dreamweaver, I have no use for it.

3. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

Well, I know that no one would buy the first one! lol..That was the point. If something like Exhibit A existed in OUR WORLD as Exhibit B, would you purchase one?

4. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

well that little Blackberry style keyboard really doesn't cut it. There needs to be another way, a fold up keyboard would work, but too bulky.... Maybe voice recognition? I'm not sure, but I know that I wouldn't have fun typing in AIM and Word documents with just my thumbs....

5. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

If it would let me store some iPhoto images, be a remote for iTunes, replace my T3, and had WiFi? For under $500? Hell yeah!

6. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

Whoooaaaa..WHOA...This keyboard is nothing like a Blackberry. It's way better and works well. You only type with your thumbs if you are holding it. When it is sitting flat you can actually type regularly, and it works.

BTW, If something like this came out, with those specs, from Apple...It would NOT be $500.

EDIT: These are the specs...

specifications

1GHz Transmeta processor

20GB hard drive (shock-mounted)

256MB DDR RAM

Dimensions: 4.9" x 3.4" x .9"
    Weight: 14 ozs
    800 x 480 W-VGA 5" transflective display (indoor/outdoor readable)

3D accelerated graphics with 8mb video RAM

QWERTY thumb keyboard with mouse buttons and TrackStik®

802.11b wireless

Bluetooth® wireless

4-pin FireWire® (1394)

USB 1.1

3.5mm stereo headphone jack

Microphone

Digital pen

Removable lithium polymer battery

Battery life up to three hours, depending on usage

OQO docking cable includes:

3D accelerated 1280 x 1024 VGA video output

Additional USB

Additional FireWire (1394)

Ethernet

DC power

Audio out

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

No. I'd have no use for it. It's too big just to throw in your pocket, but too small to warrent carrying a bag round for. It'd end up sitting on my desk at home doing nothing.

8. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

It seems dumb to cram a GUI intended for a screen of 1024x768 minimum into a form factor that small. 800x480 while pretty good is still less than half the pixel count of an iBook. The beauty of the ipod is that it has a UI and I/O system that's specifically tailored for that form-factor.

Other than the fact that they've managed to cram a lot of hardware into a small package, not much innovation in the OQOs.

9. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

But wouldn't you say that that IS the innovation? That's a whole lotta computer for such a small package.

10. haiggy macrumors 65816

I would just like to proudly say that, RIM (Research in Motion) was founded in my city and all of your Blackberries are being made right where I live :) I have even talked to the owner - who is friends with my parent's friends.

11. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

lol...Personally, that would not be something to be proud of as their products, in my opinion, STINK.

12. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

It's the kind of thing that geeks/techies drool over. But the one million dollar question is IS IT FUNCTIONAL? Just imagine having to use the dock at that scale without a mouse or trackpad. Or using iCal on something that small--it's already a pain to use iCal on my iBook because it takes up so much screen realestate.

While not impossible, you'd still have to do a fair amount of R&D on the software side to make OS X work on such a small form factor. And you'd be dependent on a lot of add-on gadgets to make it fully functional, e.g. I'd have to carry a separate keyboard/mouse if I want to do any serious text-inputting. And if I want to watch a DVD on the plane, I'd have to either carry an external DVD drive or rip it to DIVX. If you're a hard-core gadget geek, these extra steps don't seem to be a big deal, but if you're an average Joe, these little annoyances will add up to a big hassle.

There is a reason why Apple insists on including an optical drive with every laptop. Remember, they were the first to pioneer the subnotebook (with the Duos). All these subcategories have very limited markets. Apple is not a big enough company to be all over the map. They want to focus on few core markets and do well in those markets. The iPod versus the Sony Clie is a perfect example.

13. matthewr macrumors member

That's pretty sweet!

I would definitely be interested in something like that - a little more functional than a PDA - I think it could be really useful.

14. HeyMAC macrumors newbie

HeyMAC

If the price is right. A lot of people are talking like it would replace the computer/notebook, i think if anything it would replace the pda. but whatever.

15. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

This gadget is basically designed to be a fully functional Windows PC that fits in the palm of your hand, and can act as a palmtop, yet slots into a docking station for desktop use. The idea is that you'd never have to sync your data to another device, because you carry your own hard drive and documents and PIM info and what-have-you everywhere you go, on a computer that is running your real OS, not a slimmed-down mobile version.

So if you're going to be doing real text input, you'd plug the unit into the desktop docking cradle, and use a full-size monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

Personally, I'd take a very serious look at this if it was OS X-compatible. No need for an iPod--you have iTunes itself with you, along with your Home folder, all your own settings, and your Address Book, iCal, and iPhoto library. Play your tunes on the way to work, then hook it up to a power cord and let it play digital photo frame on your desk while you work. Take it to lunch at your favorite WiFi cafe, catch up with the headlines, fire off a couple emails, make a few posts.

Best of all, if you're like me and are stuck with Windows at work....take a break from looking at Windows all day long!

On the other hand...backup, backup, backup, and keep your creditors' hotline numbers handy: because if this thing's stolen, you are really screwed.

16. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

This is precisely the problem I'm talking about. Sure, it does a lot of things, but it does no one thing well.

It'd be a HUGE PAIN to lug this brick around for listening to music. No way would I take this on a jog or to the gym. No way would this replace my iPod. And no way would this replace my laptop either because it's underpowered (what the heck am I going to do with a 8mb video card??? it won't even run expose) and I'll need to get a docking station with an optical drive, keyboard, mouse, and a monitor just to make this functional. Talk about cluttering my life.

17. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

Well, this is definetly not a desktop replacement, nor laptop. It is more like the next gen PDA. I would love one of these things, it would be a great tool. The little IBM Thinkpad-like nub mouse would be great on something like this. No brand new Newton? Fine! Apple, give us one of these!

18. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I remember watching something that looked like that on techtv, or what was techtv..... :mad:

19. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I might be interested in something like this, if it met certain requirements:

1) would have to be reasonably powerful
    2) easy-to-use
    3) have EXCEPTIONAL battery life.
    4) be very light
    5) be cheap (relatively)
    #3 is the thing. If I could use this for most of the things I'd use a laptop for out in the world - surfing the web wirelessly @ local coffee shop, taking notes in class (I am a grad student), doing light design work (flash etc).

If I was then able to bring it home and connect it to my main computer via firewire and transfer information quickly (a la target disk mode) and in reverse connect it to my main computer and transfer programs and preferences (like you can with the new iMac), I could see it fitting in somewhere. The ability to connect it to an external monitor/TV for movie-watching etc away from home would be nice also.

Either way, I'll live and as battery tech becomes better, I will probably be fine with a small iBook/PB form-factor.

FWIW

20. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

holy **** that thing's freakin sweet!!!!!!!! i guess it just goes to show that the screen and the keyboard are the only limiting factors in laptops. i would definitely buy that if the price was right, not just for the cool factor, and having a computer the size of most hdd mp3 players, but i could also use it like a gameboy :D :cool: . sit in the back of class and play halo online!!!!! it would run like crap but you're playing a pc game in class under your desk and the teacher wouldnt notice!!!!!!!. using a point stick for that might get old but still...also that thing is like the first tablet i think would really work. all the other ones are laptop-sized but this is basically a pda that runs full windows. apple could seriously do this and make it work. market it as the "powerbook executive". charge the price of a 12"pb. add hot swappable batteries and the ability to use an extra battery through the power/dock port thing a la belkin ipod power dealie and it would be perfect

21. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Why did they have to merge with G4? WHY!?!?!