If you absolutely need transit directions, how are you faring with iOS 6?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by PDFierro, Nov 6, 2012.

1. macrumors 68040

I'm smartphone-less right now. Really the only reason I've opened my eyes to Android is because I absolutely need transit directions. I do think it is the superior OS, but there are things about iOS and Apple that I do like too.

So, if transit directions are a must on your smartphone, how's that going for you with Apple Maps? Should I just go ahead and pull the trigger on an iPhone or go Android?

I've done some searching and it seems like developers are making apps to integrate with Apple Maps.

Thoughts? Any must-have transit apps out there? Thanks.

2. macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Hopstep is awesome. Walking, transit, taxi...everything. Works in every major city I have hit in the US and extremely accurate.

3. macrumors regular

Third party apps have improved a lot since apple made its move. It's been working great for me, much better than google ever did.

4. thread starter macrumors 68040

Sweet. I guess I just dismissed third-party apps because there weren't any at the time of launch, but it seems a pretty good solution. Not as easy as Google Maps, but nothing that should prevent someone from owning an iPhone because of it.

5. macrumors 65816

I've downloaded the Google maps web client as an icon for my iOS dock, not sure if I need it, but until Google comes along with something better in an app it's there, works the same and gives you reasonably accurate directions if your not local to the area.

6. macrumors regular

HopStop is pretty good here in Boston

7. macrumors 6502

For germany Google Maps Transit is useless as they don't have buses and trams.

The official app of the Deutsche Bundesbahn on the other hand is perfect. I am sure there are similar apps for most cities/countries around the world.