Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vertigo1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2013
For those of you who actually bought a smart case with your iPad Air, can you post your honest thoughts on it?

Please refrain from posting if you haven't bought one, for whatever reason. No offence intended but I'm trying to garner honest opinions from those who've bought a case, not end up with endless posts about why it's not worth the money or how there are better alternatives etc.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
For those of you who actually bought a smart case with your iPad Air, can you post your honest thoughts on it?

Please refrain from posting if you haven't bought one, for whatever reason. No offence intended but I'm trying to garner honest opinions from those who've bought a case, not end up with endless posts about why it's not worth the money or how there are better alternatives etc.

If you want opinions then why not just check out the multiple threads that already exist on the topic rather then starting an unnecessary new one.

khakiman

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2009
Not Happy

I took mine back today. I was hoping it would be more like the leather case made for the iPhone 5/5s. I ended up getting a Smart Cover and I'm happy with it. Now I just need to find a good shell for the back.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I'm very happy with it. Fits perfectly and works well. It looks great, but it does add weight to the device. The iPad Air still feels very light with it on compared to my iPad4 and any case is going to add weight.

Vertigo1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2013
If you want opinions then why not just check out the multiple threads that already exist on the topic rather then starting an unnecessary new one.

Because it's hard to find the actual opinions of actual purchasers amidst the noise of people saying they're not worth the money or recommending something else instead.

Vertigo1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2013
I took mine back today. I was hoping it would be more like the leather case made for the iPhone 5/5s. I ended up getting a Smart Cover and I'm happy with it. Now I just need to find a good shell for the back.

See I'm actually the other way around atm - have a smart cover but wondering whether to switch to the case or wait for a decent back cover.

Thanks for the responses so far everyone :)

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
I'm going to use mine for a week and travel, then decide. The price is too high, I agree. The fit is precise around the edges, but the cover doesn't line up sometimes. But ,the leather cover or back quality doesn't feel as good as the 5/5S case. The "brown' is more orange than brown. I went with the black and will see what else comes out before my return period is up.

kshen1

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2013
I don't have one, but if you don't want to spend $80 on a case that people have mixed feelings about I would look at some of the ones on Amazon that are just ONE CENT (Well, technically not since they charge shipping).

I did consider getting it, but just don't see how it's worth that much money. (Even if it is leather).

I bought this one today, and I think I'll like it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CK9DAJC/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
I bought it and I hated it. The fit wasn't bad, but the design is horrendous. The case is great leather and all of the "smart" features work just fine. However, the trade off for protecting the back, you will sacrifice weight and thinness. Basically, you'll be sacrificing all the reasons the iPad Air is an Air.

So, my alternative is a Smart Cover which is fantastic. It doesn't weigh nearly as much as the smart case, nor does it have any back. The iPad Smart Case with the iPad in it is about as thick as two iPad Airs. The Smart Cover adds only a few millimeters. I may or may not get a back cover, but I will keep the Smart Cover, regardless.

Sharkey311

Suspended
Jan 11, 2013
I bought it and I hated it. The fit wasn't bad, but the design is horrendous. The case is great leather and all of the "smart" features work just fine. However, the trade off for protecting the back, you will sacrifice weight and thinness. Basically, you'll be sacrificing all the reasons the iPad Air is an Air.

So, my alternative is a Smart Cover which is fantastic. It doesn't weigh nearly as much as the smart case, nor does it have any back. The iPad Smart Case with the iPad in it is about as thick as two iPad Airs. The Smart Cover adds only a few millimeters. I may or may not get a back cover, but I will keep the Smart Cover, regardless.

That's quite the exaggeration. It's not as thick as two iPad Air's with a smart case.

ougum

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
That's quite the exaggeration. It's not as thick as two iPad Air's with a smart case.

You're right. It's not even close to being as thick as two iPad Airs. LOL!!! I bought the smart case that Apple sold for my iPad 3. I returned that one because it was too loose around the edges. This iPad Air smart case fit snug. It's really thin and feels good in my hands. I won't be retuning this one. I think it's worth every penny I paid.

jettie1767

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2003
New Jersey, USA
I like the fit and finish. Even with the case on, it's still lighter than my iPad 3 with a Smart Cover. Overall, I'm happy except for the price I paid for it.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
It's a nice case, and feels good. Definitely a lot of money, though, and I do wish you didn't have to fold the inside part to prop up the iPad. It means if you get dirt/crap over the part that props it up, you need to brush it off before closing the case or all that crap ends up on your iPad screen. :(

FYI it weighs 152 grams, since nobody has ever posted the numbers, that I'm aware of... I weighed it yesterday.

bwsteg

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2012
Queens NY
I have a red smart case on my space grey. So far, I have no complaints. Feels nice, fits perfectly and most importantly it was free of charge from Apple.

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
I can settle the Apple case /cover weight issues. I have a smart case. I just picked up a Belkin matte clear back cover and apple Smart Cover. I weighed the smart case, then Smart Cover + Belkin back cover- and the smart case actually weighs about .7 oz. LESS (5.7 oz.). The smart case is a little thicker than the combo though. The cost were the same ($70), so I guess I'll keep the smart case as it's higher quality than the combo. It's also much harder to remove the Air from the smart case so it will likely stay there.

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008

No it isn't. The iPad Air a Smart Case with iPad in it is about 12mm compared to the 7.5mm of the iPad itself. 7.5x2 is 15mm. So it is more than 1.5 times the thickness of the iPad air, easily.

You're right. It's not even close to being as thick as two iPad Airs. LOL!!! I bought the smart case that Apple sold for my iPad 3. I returned that one because it was too loose around the edges. This iPad Air smart case fit snug. It's really thin and feels good in my hands. I won't be retuning this one. I think it's worth every penny I paid.

Yes it is close, but you aren't moving past your buyer's bias. Measure the smart case with iPad in it and compare it to the iPad Air's 7.5mm. Thank you.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
Massively overpriced and offering little in the way of protection.

But what are you going to do? It's the only real option for those needing a case right now.

It's not compare to the other manufacturers... Can you tell me this price with "real" full leather on it?

I just bought $699 leather jacket today and I'm not complaining..

Sharkey311

Suspended
Jan 11, 2013
No it isn't. The iPad Air a Smart Case with iPad in it is about 12mm compared to the 7.5mm of the iPad itself. 7.5x2 is 15mm. So it is more than 1.5 times the thickness of the iPad air, easily.

Yes it is close, but you aren't moving past your buyer's bias. Measure the smart case with iPad in it and compare it to the iPad Air's 7.5mm. Thank you.

You're acting like the case makes it unbelievably thick and negates the thinness of the iPad when it doesn't hinder it whatsoever.

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
You're acting like the case makes it unbelievably thick and negates the thinness of the iPad when it doesn't hinder it whatsoever.

That's because, to me, it basically does. The iPad is thick with the smart case on it. It feels and looks thicker than I'd personally like. So, the Smart Cover does the job I want and keeps it thin, and still light.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
I can settle the Apple case /cover weight issues. I have a smart case. I just picked up a Belkin matte clear back cover and apple Smart Cover. I weighed the smart case, then Smart Cover + Belkin back cover- and the smart case actually weighs about .7 oz. LESS (5.7 oz.). The smart case is a little thicker than the combo though. The cost were the same ($70), so I guess I'll keep the smart case as it's higher quality than the combo. It's also much harder to remove the Air from the smart case so it will likely stay there.

Where did you find the Belkin Sheer Shield for iPad Air in stock? Belkin has them listed as pre-ordered.

Also, the weight on the Apple Store FAQ is 10.9oz for the SmartCase, so the combo you cite should be larger difference.

I had and loved the iPad mini Belkin Sheer Shield case. It was super light and thin. I can't imagine the SmartCase, which I'm currently using, is as thin.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
I stand corrected on the weight. 152g appears correct.

Still would like to know where I can get the Belkin Sheer Shield case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.