If you could change one past decision/thing in your life what would it be?

Discussion in 'Community' started by mpw, Jul 28, 2005.

1. mpw Guest

If you could change one past decision/thing in your life what would it be?

I know the obvious answers are:-

“I wish I’d chosen the winning numbers / let the sleeping dog lie / never questioned the power of a hurricane the day I went surfing…etc.”

but I was wondering about the more subtle stuff like:-

“I wish I’d not got a tattoo / gone to college / dumped my first love / taken this job / chosen the winning numbers…etc.”

Of course I’d like to hear the reasons for your regrets too.

Why am I asking (other than boredom at work)?

I met a girl the other night who was so incredible I can’t stop thinking about her and made me regret some of the decisions I’d made in the past that I can’t undo.

And that could be another question, could you make the change and if so what’s stopping you?

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

1st wife, what a bitch! glad im not dealing with her crap anymore :D

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's tough being the world's sexiest millionaire... Maybe I shouldn't have done that.

:D

I dunno, there's not really anything major I'd take back. Some asinine things I did when I was younger perhaps, but I'm who I am now because of all the little things.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

5. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Well, i already gave my best...I have no regrets at all.

6. oreomac macrumors member

I've often spoken to my friend about this, & if I changed things in my past then I wouldn't be were I am now or the person I am now, & I love my life right now. I've never been so happy or contented.

7. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I would have pursued an MBA at Thunderbird, focused on China, that was in 1985, instead of going in the Navy.

I would have spent less in my 20's, saved and invested more.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I have had many amazing experiences in my life, and many bad experiences. But in the end, the good ones far outweigh the bad ones, and the bad experiences have made me a better person, have taught me something, and have led me to better things. For instance, if I hadn't dumped my girlfriend at the time (which was very hard to do), I would never have met my fiancee, my soul mate.

Everything happens for a reason, and even the negative experiences have made me a stronger person and taught me something. As a result, I live my life with no regrets whatsoever.

As Rodin said, "Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely." :cool:

9. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Yup...same here. Guess it's nice to reflect the past, but don't know if it's worth dwelling on "What if I ..." Can't change the past, and I know I tried my best.

mpw, are you gonna date that girl you met?

10. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

You should regret things. I had a friend who ruined his life by always looking into the past.

Having said that there are a few things that I partially regret -
    • Not going to Nottingham to do a HND. I wanted to do a Degree and Nottingham didnt offer it, so that wasnt really a decision I could make. I love the city though!
    • Not getting a couple more tattoos :D Just small ones like the one I have, but the whole phobia of needles put me off getting one for ages.
    • Coming on too strong with my Ex and scaring her off. Sh*t happens and we were never gonna last too long, but she was a nice friend.
    • Not learning to drive when I was 17. Having only recently passed, I now get lumbered with no "no claims bonus"! Gutted!
    • Not getting a sandwich earlier.. I'm really hungry now!

11. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

can I just say ^ yeah that! exactly!

I know no different and don't know what my life would be like even "taking back" what may seem to be a minor choice. I don't waste a lot of time with regret, it's just futile.

I do wish I hadn't gotten a tattoo though ;)

12. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

That may be true. But your album CD still sucks.

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Exactly. You can learn from the past and grow from it, but you can't change it, so what's the point in worrying about it or wishing you could change something? Instead of focusing on the past, focus on the present, and your future.

This is why I try and experience as much of life as possible (see my Interests in my profile), always trying new things and not being afraid to take risks (see my Blake quote in my sig). Life is too short to play it safe and not experience things, so god or bad, I'm out there living life. And that way, when I'm old, I can look back on things with no regrets, and I won't be saying things like, "I wish I would have traveled more and experienced more of the world", or, "I wish I wouldn't have played it safe and worked the same job in the same city for 30 years", and so on.

No regrets whatsoever. :cool:

14. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I wish I could effectively get over the past.

15. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

You have some tough competition..

http://asianprince213.tripod.com/

http://www.geocities.com/asianprince213/BadBoy.htm

Have a good laugh :D i did...

Ed

16. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I would have cashed in my macromedia options at $100 a share instead of $30-$50.

17. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

18. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Hmmm, I don't really have any regrets so far. This girl i really liked as a sophomore, we went out for a while, and I hooked up with a girl from a different school, which caused us to break up. Now, we are seniors, we are still friends, but she is gorgeous. I mean, drop dead gorgeous. kinda sux i blew that.

Also wish I would have held on to my Apple at $20 back in 2001.

and if my family could have lived at the beach, rather than the desert. i love the ocean, surfing and such. i spend probably 2 months/year there, but that isn't enough!

19. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

:( That's my uncle.

20. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I wish I had gone through with buying apple stock when it was $24 dollars a share back in august 2004. If I had bought a bunch of shares- I would have done quite well.

21. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
  22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Kept my cat in on the last day of March 2005 so that she didn't get hit by that idiot in the car :mad:

That's about it really. Most things give you experience, and if you hadn't made the mistakes you'd probably do it at some other point.

Oh, and I wish I had bought Apple stock back in 2000.

23. mpw thread starter Guest

• I don't know.
    • I don't know her phone number.
    • I don't know her address.
    • I don't know her surname.
    • I don't know her D.O.B.
    • I don't know anyone who knows her.
    • I don't know if my wife would like it.

I could take a guess for each of those but the odds of being right are pretty long, except for the last one.

24. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

But I really like music, I want to make music my living.

Attached Files:

25. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I try not to look at the past as mistakes, or regret anything I've done. Though I haven't spent wisely, so I'm trying to fix a lot of that and teach my kids about saving.