Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

medea

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
New regulations require carmakers to think about protecting people their cars run over.
Summarized:
Some methods are relatively low-tech. Take the hood of the new Mazda RX-8. Instead of being made of a flat sheet of steel with a few widely spaced supports, the RX-8's aluminum hood has a deeply dimpled structure underneath, designed specifically to provide extra cushion. Honda has also implemented passive protection measures like break-away windshield-wiper hinges. (Wipers are another damaging point of contact as the pedestrian slides headlong toward the windshield.) More advanced technology is now in the works that will help meet more demanding pedestrian safety tests set to be in place in Europe by 2010. One system involves a front bumper detector that can tell, almost instantly, whether a car is hitting a hard object, like a wall or light post, or a human leg. If a strip of fiber-optic detectors spanning the front bumper indicates that the car has struck a person, the hood of the car immediately moves slightly up and straight back, providing a few crucial inches of extra cushioning above the engine. Airbags housed at the base of the windshield will also instantly inflate, providing a protective cushion over the wiper blades and windshield.

And now for the disappointing part:

You shouldn't expect to see more advanced systems like this on cars in the U.S., though, said Patrick Jarboe, a spokesperson for Autoliv. Certainly, unless regulators here required such pedestrian protection, consumer demand would not drive adoption of the systems, which would add about $200 to the price of a car, he said.

http://money.cnn.com/2003/09/22/pf/autos/pedestrian_safety/index.htm

Attachments

• ford_crash_test.jpg
    ford_crash_test.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 310

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
i was hit by a jeep wrangler while riding my bike some years back. amazingly, i only got some scrapes and a mildly sprained wrist.

as for us automakers, didn't lee iacocca lobby nixon to keep airbags out of cars b/c it would increase the price such that the big 3 couldn't compete with overseas manufacturers? i <3 this country

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
I'd wnat to be hit by a Mini Cooper! That wouldn't do any more than give you a somewhat pleasant tap on the ankle.

This comes from a person that has three times in his life been hit by cars (Spare me your comments). Bear in mind that none of the cars actually hit me, they only hit my bicycle. I think the Mercedes was the most pleasant though. It actually sent me airborne, which was quite exciting to me as an eleven year old.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Re: "If you could get hit by any car in the world".....Better cars to get hit by.

While it's all well and good to have better saftey designs in a car, I'd rather be hit by one that costs over $100,000. That way when I (or my next of kin) sue we know the S.O.B. is rich!;) :p :D

Raid

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
wow, my old thread spawned references in new thread titles. that's what I live for, baby!

this is an interesting find, medea. Thanks for sharing.

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
One of those cars covered in grass. Or shag carpet.

How about a parade float covered in paper and flowers?

Anything to give a little extra cushion. Plus any of these would make for a great story.

"How did your suit get all covered in grass stains?" "You'll never believe me.":D

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
now, i too would like to be hit by a parked go kart:p

seriously, i would make sure it is a small car, as not to do as much damage as an SUV could do. anything but an SUV :rollseyes:

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
might the person get ramped over the roof and into something behind the car, like another car? just thinking here.

Attachments

• ford_crash_test.jpg
    ford_crash_test.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 128
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.