If you could go back in time what would you change?

Discussion in 'Community' started by coopdog, Sep 5, 2003.

1. coopdog macrumors 6502a

If I was able to go back in time and change any event in history, I wouldn't change anything. You have no idea what kind of results changing the event could have on the future.

This is a brain itcher:

Could you back in time and kill your parrents?

First why would you want to?
    But really could you, would it work? :confused:

Well what would you change or like to see back in time?

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'd go back and pay someone to go out with Bill Gates so he had something else to do besides play with computers!:D

3. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

Re: If you could go back in time what would you change?

thats a paradox, if you were to go back and kill you parents, it would prevent you from being born, preventing you from going back in time and killing your parents, which would prevent you from from being prevented from being born, which would prevent you from being prevented from being able to go back in time to kill them, which would prevent you from being born, preventing you from going back in time and killing your parents, which would prevent you from from being prevented from being born, which would prevent you from being prevented from being able to go back in time to kill them.............

4. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

I would change nothing cuz it's too damn complicated that when i think about it my mind explodes. 'nuff said.

5. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I'd change nothing to my 'past self' because that wouldn't keep me from experiencing anything that I haden't already experienced. If I changed anything I might keep myself from being born/keep my parents from getting frisky ;) (ok thats disguisting..... ;)). Life just seems kind of pointless when you think about it.

I'm not suicidal or anything, or unhappy for that matter. I just know someone is going to PM me saying I can talk to them or something, but that really isn't necessary. I just have trouble seeing what the point of existance is.

scem0

6. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I would recommend that the U.S. not fight the Revolutionary War. Eventually, our independence would have been won and we would all have socialized medical care.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Why not just go back and see things you missed - Gettysburg Address, Jesus, Rome, etc.

And if you could do it right and come back, you could set it up so that you'd make a ton of money. Stash artifacts somewhere and collect them millennia later.....;)

I'd love to see Ancient Egypt, Rome and Greece. Have dinner with George Washington and discuss what he would envision America 250 years later....

D

8. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

I would try to hit the Russian line referee of the '66 soccer world cup finals with a car so that this goddamn donkey would not have stated that the ball of the famous "Wembley Goal" was FULLY behind the German goal line (well, by now it has been proven that it wasn't!!!)

a different ref would probably have used his eyes and Germany had won the title...

AAAARRRRGGGHHHH, where's my time machine...

vSpacken

9. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

JFK/Martin Luther Kind/Gandhi 's

Assignations.

I can see that Gandhi and after he died created acceptance in India and Pakistan, but JFK... he was a good guy, a smart guy, he helped so many movements...

:(

Lets see, how about the Jets not Releasing (in order):

Keyshawn Johnson
    Laveranues Coles
    Chad Morton

If they had each around the Jets would have won the superbowl...

:arg:

10. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

well, on that paradox theory, Ive heard theories that the universe would collapse in on itself, in a similar fashion to a computer crashing, because the time and anti time (backwards time) would be out of sync, causing a catastrophic implosion.

Maybe Durandal can shed some light on this?

By the way, go back in time? Kill Hitler, though I have a feeling that history cannot be changed and some other person would just fill his historical "shoes"

11. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

...would go back to the garden of eden and toss that snake out:p

...and would keep charles haley on the niners squad after the two rings he got in the 80s

...and would have hung onto deion sanders after niners superbowl win in 94

12. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Re: Re: If you could go back in time what would you change?

...but what if any type of act that results in a paradox doesn't because it spawns a new alternate universe? :D

13. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i would buy as much property as i could in california and then sell it for millions, the same with florida. I would also sell in 1929....i would probably have taken an extra year of spanish to avoid my current predictament of spanish in college and I would probably try to meet more girls....

14. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Again for this paradox thing:

There are theories that killing your parents would lead you into a parallel universe. And yes, that's no science fiction.

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

There was a thread a while back (here) where we went into the whole time travel thing quite a bit (a long thread), maybe worth a read for anyone enjoying this thread. There were a lot of good points made :D

16. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

thanks for that link edesignuk, looks interesting.

and jefhatfield, yeah i'd go back and fix that snake real good.

17. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

Well, that wouldn't change anything about your having to make a decision how to act yourself, and every day of your life...

I am thankful I don't have the power to change things in the past. Honestly, I wouldn't know how to use it wisely.

18. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

You'd still have lost 3-2.

"Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over... It is now...." (ball crashes into the roof of the german net);) ;) :D

19. iGav macrumors G3

I'd want to go back to tell my dad I love him.

20. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the only thing is i would not know how far back to set the time machine...my guess would be in the of millions of years or so

i am not one to believe the resurgent belief that the world is 4,400 years old (some say a little over 5,000) since my ancestors, not european, were thriving then...before the catholic church knew "those" people existed:p

like the father in "my big fat greek wedding" says, when my ancestors were inventing culture, your ancestors were swinging from the trees:p

21. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

Now that seems a worthy cause. However, don't forget that you can tell the people you know now that you appreciate them. Too often, we forget about that.

22. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

If I was (were? will?) go back in time, I would tell myself to live a healthier lifestyle, avoid certain people, and be nicer to people. To be blunt, I was an immature jerk up until my early 20's. There are lots of people whom I should have been nicer to.

23. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Go back in time for jesus? To see if he really turned water into wine? Or just to hang out with a cool dude?

The jesus issue is something for another thread. :)

I think i'd got back and try to do something to fix the 2000 election... maybe preventing alot of the decline in America today (the recession, the iraqi occupation, etc.)

I'd also like to go back to 9-11 and watch it all in slow motion, so I can refute the garbage that the government and the media are telling us as to its cause.

Basically, anywhere I could expose America's government lying... I'd jump on. :D

24. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

I highly recommend Joseph Cambell's 'Power of Myth':
    "People say that what we're all seeking is a meaning for life. I don't think that's what we're really seeking. I think that what we're seeking is an experience of being alive, so that our life experiences on the purely physical plane will have resonances within our own innermost being and reality, so that we actually feel the rapture of being alive."