If you could go back in time...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by FoxyKaye, Jan 25, 2006.

1. macrumors 68000

Jan 23, 2004
    San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    ...what silly, strange or fun thing would you do? When and where would you do it?

There's of course lots of discussion about preventing wars, plague, assassinations, etc. But, I thought it might be fun to see what non-serious stuff people would do.

For example, I would take a DVD player, projector and sound setup back to the 1920s (when movies were just taking off in theaters) along with the following DVDs: Alien, Aliens, Pulp Fiction, The Silence of the Lambs, the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and maybe the Star Wars movies.

Since at the time, people were just experiencing black and white movies - and some couldn't handle the projection (i.e. people would run out of the theater when a train was moving toward them on screen, thinking it was "real"), I thought it would be fun to see what would happen with movies in color, with heavy CGI, and really intense and scary scenes. Would people have complete psychotic breaks in the theater? I'd set up shop in a small theater near Times Square and let the fun begin...:D
  2. macrumors Core

Mar 17, 2005
    London, England
    i'd go back and buy apple stock in the 80's or 90's. ;) then i'd travel back even futher and bring a powerbook, a digital camera and various electronics and freak people out. then i'd play music like Eminem, Ministry, Korn or something for all those dorks who had a hissy fit over the Beatles and Elvis... really give them something to worry about. :p
    since we're being silly.
  3. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    I'd go back in time, pick up a copy of Sports Almanac 1955, and save it to share with Doc Brown someday.

And I'd install webcams all over the house to watch everything we do, so we could at last find out what happened to that picnic cooler that we somehow lost. We replaced it, but we've always been curious how something that big could just disappear into thin air.

Finally, I'd walk in just as Apple Computer and Apple Corps were negotiating their original agreement and give them the benefit of my knowledge of the future.
  4. Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    I'd go back and see my god-grandfather just to tell him that everything would turn out OK with me in the end.
  5. Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I'd tape some LVB concertos.

I'd give Jesus a wedgie.

I'd give let Julius Ceaser know that he should be "sick" on March 15th.
  6. Guest

I would have picked a private school over the high school I am currently attending.
  7. macrumors 6502

Seriously though, I'd go back the Great Depresion and buy loads of stocks of companies that survived it, and become fantasically wealthy, or I'd be like Forrest Gump and buy some early Apple stock from the late 70's.

8. macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    I would go back just to kiss the feet of Jesus(son of God) maybe slap Bill Gates and take over his company when it was just an idea and put some money into Apple...i would be making money either way:)...yesss!

9. macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    I would arm myself with a Canon XL2, loads of lenses, mikes and batteries (plus one hell of an interpreter) and do the following:

1. Find and interview Jesus (and disciples)
    2. Find and interview Moses
    3. Find and interview Muhammed
    4. Find and interview Buddha
    5. Find and interview Plato
    6. Find and interview Aristotle

7. Repeat with many great figures of antiquity
    8. Try to find Atlantis
    9. Film that day in Dallas to see who shot JFK
    10. Take footage from 9/11 (and beyond) and release it to the media (obviously beforehand).

11. Convince the Titanic to take another route.
  10. macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I'd go back to feudal Japan and become the first white (and only) white Samurai. Where after I kicked the hell out of the Shogunate, I would then build a home and have 8 women living with me, all whom would be my wives.

Either that or I'd kick Elvis in the nuts for stealing other people's music, and inform him and the world that Johnny Cash is superior.
  11. macrumors 68020

Sep 27, 2005
    Id go back and stop my now deceased mother in law from smoking. And myself for that matter.
  12. macrumors 6502a

Apr 7, 2005
    Monterrey, México
    I'd jam with Jimi Hendrix, of course! Then I'd go way back to prehistoric times in order to establish the first civilization on earth: "Floyderia" or "Floydopotamia". I'm not sure how I would accomplish that though.
  13. macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    ^sleep with as much cave woman as you can....multiplying is the key.

14. macrumors 65816

Oh, the possibilities!!!

I would love to see the look on Gustave Eiffel's face when he finds out his Tower (which was supposed to be temporary) is still standing in 2005.

How about bringing Leonardo Da Vinchi back to today to help you with your school art project?

Stalk young Beethoven while constantly whistling "Dah Dah Dah Dahhhhhhhhhh" (Mr. B's 5th)?

Or what would have happened if you buzzed the Wright Brothers first filght in a F-117?
  15. macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2005
    I'd go back and try to meet Walt Disney and somehow get in on the ground floor of his company to take part in the creation of Disneyland and Disneyworld and all those classic movies. And I'd make him stop smoking.
  16. macrumors 68000

Jan 7, 2002
    2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i'd go back to the mid 1800's to hang out with emerson and thoreau.

i'd then zip to the early 1900's to witness the greene brothers designing and building their architectural masterpieces.

then off to 1923 to witness gershwin's premiere of rhapsody in blue.

then off to the late 1940's to tour the west coast in a beautiful town and country woody convertible. how i'd love to see the coast before the developers made a mess of things.

off to 1960's london to see the beatles.

then to woodstock.

then to the late 70's to somehow mend things with my father, get my brother the help he needed and play one last round of golf with my grandfather.

then off to 2000 to witness the birth of my first child again.
  17. macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    First, I would go back to the night of my little brothers fatal car accident and stop those kids from driving.

for fun I would like to go back to the 1800's and hang out with some (friendly) Indians.
  18. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    I'd go back 4 days and take that three of hearts off the discard pile instead of drawing a new card. That way, my wife wouldn't have won that Gin Rummy game.

FYI, the power was out. We had to resort to playing cards by candlelight with no MacRumors, no TV, no CD player, and no computer games available. :eek:
  19. Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Hmm.. just as if you'd gone back in time to the 18th century. :eek: :D
  20. macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2003
    Calgary, Canada
    I'd go back in time, and find a bunch of crazy guys who yell crap on the corner. Then, I'd tell them all about major events in their future. So, every day, everyone would hear the truth, but dismiss it as insanity.

I'd go back to when things started going wrong between me and the love of my life, and sit us all down and have a serious talk.

I'd go back a hundred years, and deposit one gold coin into a bank account.

I'd go back to the 60s and make a space ship, and land on the moon right before the Americans, and leave a lot of cheesy "alien artifacts" lying about. Included would be an abundance of anal probes, with crude stick figure drawings explaining their use.
  21. EGT
    macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003
    I'd go back and find the guy who killed John Lennon and break his legs.

Then I'd go back to early Steve/Woz days and show Steve the new Macbook Pro; "We want AT LEAST 2.0Ghz Core duo, Steve. Yes I said TWO GIGAHERTZ"

Or maybe the Powermac would be a better example; "Don't lie, Steve. Just tell us, you're never planning to break 3.0GHz." At that point, he'd collapse. :p

Then I'd go back and hunt down the Wright brothers with some modern day aircraft in my pocket. Assuming we've mastered time travel, we've probably designed some kind of "debigulator" as well. :p

Then I'd go back and pet a Dinosaur. Shrink it and take it home. All in time for tea.

"How do you like your eggs, Rex?" :D
  22. macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    I'd punch Stamitz in the face.

I'd assume Paul Samuelson's identity, then accept the Nobel prize for him. Then, I'd rip off my mask, and laugh at them all for giving the Nobel prize to me. I would then, jump into my time machine, go back to 2006, and sell the Nobel prize on eBay for $$.

That'd be awesome.
  23. macrumors 68000

May 8, 2004
    I Live Where I Live
    meet jesus

watch a gladiator battle at the coliseum.. and film it... muhahahaha

do the moon walk and play KoRn in front of the settlers of salem

smack a few people

and tell my friend that she would ruin her life with one choice... and try to prevent it.
  24. macrumors 68030

Les Kern

Apr 26, 2002
    Go back and kill your father so we won't get any more stoopid posts. :)
    Actually? Nothing. No regrets. What made me today is what I did in the past, stupid or otherwise.
    Okay, maybe I'd buy $10,000 worth of Dell stock in 1990.
  25. macrumors 68030

Les Kern

Apr 26, 2002
    I mean this in the best of spirits! :)