if you could have one for free: Apple iPhone or BlackBerry P...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 17, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors demi-god

3. macrumors 68030

apfhex

What's with the picture of the Linksys iPhone next to the Apple one?

They don't even mention monthly fees... but I don't know who'd pick the Blackberry over the iPhone (in this case, since it probably wouldn't be for professional purposes). :D

4. Mal
    macrumors 603

Mal

LOL, even though the poll was horribly done and obviously trying to push people towards the Pearl, the iPhone is at 90%. Duh. What's this guy trying to prove here?

jW

5. macrumors 603

Stella

6. macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

7. macrumors 68000

iPhone for sure. Some of my friends and relatives have the Pearl and I can't stand it!

8. macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

I've sold Pearls, and I currently own one. If you're not looking to have corporate e mail, I have to say its a pretty terrible device. Its not the most user friendly phone in the world and its not as quick as a nokia for predictive text input. Its a big improvement over previous Blackberry offerings, but for consumers I'd say there are much better phones on the market. Just my opinion.

I'd take the iphone everyday, and i personally don't see why the lack of 3rd party access is a problem. I have no third party apps running on either my pearl nor my nokia 8800.

Is the Pearl really $199 after subsidies in the US? They're free in the UK, in fact I can't think of an instance where you'd have to pay for one on contract.

Jay

9. macrumors G5

nagromme

Nor ease of use ;)

10. macrumors demi-god

This statement really makes me wonder if you've ever used one for more than 5 minutes. :eek:

11. macrumors 68020

phungy

Maybe the poll should have specified 4GB or 8GB iPhone but of course people are going to choose the iPhone for free!

12. macrumors demi-god

I was wondering about the 4gb/8gb myself, but since it's pretty clear that the cheapest an iPhone will be for the next year or two is $499, and it's pretty easy to find a Pearl for $49.99, ....

$499 vs $49.99 ... hmmm

Tough choice. :)

13. macrumors 6502a

cloudnine

Just out of curiosity, what are all these 3rd party applications that people aren't able to live without? Just curious... that seems to be the biggest complaint in regards to the iPhone, but I really can't see what you wouldn't be able to live without... I have a blackberry pearl, and I'm gonna drop it in a second when the iPhone comes out... the only 3rd party application that I use is google maps and the gmail client, both of which will be accessible on the iPhone. Oh, and a Livejournal.com client, but I can easily live without that...

14. macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

I agree with your point of view, but in a corporate context GE Jobsmart, database integrated applications, development platforms etc etc. There are some applications that some companies would suffer without.

jay

15. macrumors 65816

Hummer

Couldn't I just take the iPhone and sell it to buy the Pearl, having some money left over.

16. macrumors 603

Stella

On my current ( smartphone) phone, I can't live without ( top 5 only in no order ):
    - games ( well, I'm counting that as one item - that will be cheating! :p )
    - IM+ - icq / msn messenger app
    - world mate
    - Handy clocks ( timer, alarms etc )
    - Nokia Search ( not the web based service ) - the one ripped of another Nokia's firmware - for those familiar )

... oh, and a phone black list to stop tele-marketers from hassling me

Your right, I've only briefly used a blackberry, but having used other smartphones, a pre-installed apps / controlled 3rd party environment would be frustrating.

17. macrumors 68000

Earendil

Repeat after me, "Which would you rather have for free?"

Price is irrelevant... at least in this poll :)

18. macrumors 68000

Earendil

Not a corporate monkey or anything (yet) but a college kid that likes his tech (and a CS major tah-boot), I adore Salling Clicker. Nothing like have the music blasting in my room dim to mute whenever I get a phone call, or want to make one... And it works quite well on my SonyEricsson T610... I should be able to afford an iPhone sometime in 2012, hopefully by then it'll be open to developers to created software for.

~Earendil
    ~Tyler

19. macrumors demi-god

Personally, if I'm getting it for free and I have a choice, I'd rather have the item that's worth the most (i.e. the most expensive).

20. Nym
    macrumors 6502a

Nym

Exactly! :)