If you could improve one thing about yourself...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Roger1, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Hey all

If you could improve one thing about yourself, what would it be?
    Would it be some skill or talent you wish to hone, or perhaps something you perceive as a character flaw? Maybe even your athletic ability? What one thing would you want to improve about yourself?

Mine: Improve my skill at hanging and mudding drywall. I stink at it! But I have many, many rooms in my house to practice in, so I should be a pro within the next 10 years. :D

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

motivation... i think it's something a lot of people have trouble with, but sometimes i just freaking put things off. and off and off

also, i'd like to not be allergic to nyc... at least not while i live here.

3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Was that pre- 9/11 ?

I need to improve my sarcasm, I use too little. God damnit there it is again, me using too much sarcasm.

Errrr.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

or maybe not always right?

I'd like to cut the amount of sleep I need in half - too much to do and not enough time.

D

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

actually, good point... it wasn't. i was never allergic to anything before. and being in pennsylvania it's pretty easy to have some sort of allergic reaction... but nothing. and now. fairly recently... it's gotten bad. i'm ALWAYS tired. and i generally always wake up with a stuffy nose... messed up

one time my bro tried to give up being sarcastic for lent... didn't work. but hey, he's a bastard. so he had that working against him too

6. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i'd have a really good memory, cause i have a really bad one right now

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

hmmmmmmmm hard question.......

thinking.........

I think I would change how I ignore what I know is important.

Such as I know I should start my geometry homework, so I can
    at least have 3/4 of it done and get ~ a 70, but I'm gunna post
    on MR instead and probably not do anything tomorrow, and end
    up getting ~ a 30. I do this ALL THE TIME. I wouldn't really call
    it bad time-management. I would call it not having enough
    motivation, but either way, my homework remains incomplete.

At least my teachers like me despite my bad homework habits,
    because I am a good student in all other categories - I test well,
    participate in class, and enjoy most of my classes.

God, I always say school sucks, but I really mean homework sucks.

:eek: :( :rolleyes:

8. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    forget the smiley did we?

either way, i'll work on it....;)

9. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Everything!

That is why I'm in this life.

I have to be a better:
    VJ
    Video Editor
    After Effecs Animator
    Speaking English and Spanish
    in politics
    lover:cool:
    business person
    catholic
    worker
    millionarie
    fighter
    thinker
    artist
    so on and so on...

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

you have to be a better speaking English and Spanish?

hehe. I think your English is excellent, with very few exceptions.
    I could never learn another language like that. :rolleyes: ;)

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I need to learn to skim better when I read. I buy books, subscribe to a few magazines, read the L.A. Times and Newsweek, and I read lots of online and hardcopy computer documentation. I tend to read for detail, which is fine when you need to know the details, but not always necessary. It just takes more time than I have available.

Otherwise I'm purfekt.

12. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Don't draw conclusions to be being your bro, ;) .

I suppose spending less time HERE.

ARG too late, must get off macrumors.

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

as though you don't dream about such things?

well i guess not. what with the curse.

bah

don't fight it. let the rumors keep you here... or at least let the dumb banter keep you here.

14. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

I have a similar problem--i just read thoroughly, no matter what i read, and it takes me forever to do it. bah, it sucks.

15. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I wish i'd discovered Aikido 20 years ago instead of 5, i'm 39 now and I'm just running out of time. My body can't take the punishment it could back then, and i'd like to get to at least 3rd dan:)

Otherwise, I don't want to change anything, family, work and play I'm in a really good place right now.

(Where's my bloody 17" aluBook????)

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ah, yeah, i did - I hope the implied sarcasm was enough ;)

one other thing - I wish I was a better artist (drawing with pencil and paper). I'm not bad, I just never developed it enough to be as good as I'd like.

D

17. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

damn...I didn't think I'd see anyone else ever say that one...

if I could figure out a way to get around sleeping every other night even...I'd do it...;)

18. JupiterZen macrumors regular

There a several chemicals available that can help you achieve this.

:cool:

Just to bad all the really effective ones are outlawed.

19. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

he he...yeah...too bad ;)

pulling a 14-16 hour workday isn't completely insane for me...but still feels like I could get more done if I just didn't need to sleep...

then there's always the occasional 2 dayer I pull from time to time...haven't done that in a while...

20. Alte22a macrumors 6502

Get some more sleep

Should sleep to function better.

Work too late at night finding it difficult to get up for work. Dont start to function properly until after lunch. Oh yeah smoke less and drink less coffee too, Coffee makes me agitated easily..

21. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I wish I weren't so brilliant or good looking. Being above everyone else is nice at first, but it does get lonely at the top.

22. bcsimac macrumors 6502

Not be ADHD anymore but still have the talents and skills and motivation and desire

If there was one thing I could improve myself in or on, it would be to not be ADHD anymore; but I want to keep my talents, skills, desire, motivation, and the good things. ADHD makes you an underachiever. It takes away from your performance. It makes discouragement a regular problem. People misunderstand what you are about when you are ADHD. ADHD makes you an outsider when you don't want to be. Every teacher I ever had told me I was extremely bright, intelligent, and motivated; but it didn't result in the best of grades. Every coach I had told me I was extremely talented, but I couldn't gain consistency. Most of the managers I have had told me that I had lots of potential and talent; but I have struggled to perform to expectations and to hold on to jobs for any length of time. It is hard to concentrate and not figid. It is hard to expand into other areas for fear that you will get overwhelmed or worse fail. It is hard to get organized. It is extremely frustrating to hear people say......"you have such a good mind..........you are so bright and intelligent.........you are very talented......you have so much potential........you are such a nice, caring, compassionate person.....and etc." It hurts most when people label you a loser, a freak, or a jerk when you aren't any of those things. I would give anything to keep the talents and everything that people say I have but get rid of the ADHD symptoms I have that constantly sabtoshes me. Unfortunately, I know it is hereditary in my family and something God created in me to have to overcome eveyday.

23. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: If you could improve one thing about yourself...

one can never be too humble and that is what i would want to change about myself

as for skills, i would have liked to have started my second job much earlier so i could have had more experience...i have been a techie for a living since 1999 and i missed out on all that fun stuff when apple stunk and windows 95 was the best the pc world could come up with ;)

in my other job in landscape gardening, i am terrible at remembering the names of plants...even after 14 years with my own business and i wish i had a better memory for latin names

i have played guitar for 27 years but i am not that good for someone who has played that long so i wish i could have had the discipline to have read music early on

24. Roger1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Roger1

LOL:D

That is just TOO funny!!! My issue is I forget things at work. My coworkers, whom I share an office with, actually expect me to return to the office to get some small obeject that I forgot the first time around. You know, like my TOOLBOX.
    Or an ethernet cable, for that printer I just set up on the other side of town :rolleyes:

I'd like to blame it on age, but then people would think I'm old. Wait, I am old!
    Doh!