If you could meet anyone in the world, who would it be?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Shamus, May 8, 2006.

1. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

Hello all,

Thought it would be interesting to post who you would like to meet from anywhere in the world, if given the opportunity, and why. :)

Personally, I would like to meet someone influencial in the Physics community, such as Stephen Hawking or Roger Penrose, because I would find it inspiring. Physics is where I am aiming my career.

So, Im sure everyone has someone they would particularly like to meet, for whatever reason, so post them. :)

2. Perfusion macrumors newbie

I'd like to "meet" Bin Laden... :D

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Brian Eno. Absolute genius...

Failing that, David Lynch. I only place him second 'cos I'm not sure whether I could feign an interest in Transcendental Meditation. ;)

4. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I would like to meet (in no particular order) Tom Hanks, Mel Gibson, John Piper (he's an author and pastor in Minneapolis), Mark Steyn (columnist), maybe the pope (why not? I'm not Catholic or anything, but it might still be cool), Steve Irwin. Hows that for a diverse list? :D

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

The Dalai Lama - just do. I'd love to sit over tea and just talk with him.

Although Stephen Hawking has always been in the top 3 for me too. Fascinating man. Imagine being so completely bound by your own body, and your mind knowing no bounds.

6. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

We might should provide links or at least some kind of explanation if these people aren't well known to everyone... like I've never heard of either of those people. ;) Just a suggestion.

7. Shamus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shamus

Sounds good to me. Feel free to link to sites with further descriptions, or explanations of who they are/what they do. :)

8. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

MICHAEL JACKSON!

I'd yell 'dance boy, dance!' and then I would pass out.

9. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I'd hate to know what happens after you pass out since we all know you have the skin of an 8 year old. :eek:

10. bartelby macrumors Core

Hmmmm? I'll have to think about this one as no-one instantly springs to mind.

11. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Kristin Kreuk or Jordana Brewster.

I'll go to jail a happy man.

12. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

AHH! and no, that's my dermatologist's opinion, lets not let everyone know I'm crazy for sure, just keep hinting at it ok? :eek:

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Knock yourself out.

14. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

All that does is takes me to a white page with a big "Google" on it with a box underneath. It doesn't tell me anything about either one of them!

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I wanna meet someone who will put up with my annoying antics for periods longer than three hours.

16. Shamus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shamus

17. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Benjamin Franklin, if we're including people who are dead (though I'd only like to meet him if that means he is alive at the time!). There are a lot of smart, worldly, fun people throughout history, but by reputation, he combined the best of all worlds AND was good at expressing his ideas to other people. I know a lot of smart people who are terrible at explaining things. I think it's because things come so naturally to them that they don't know how to explain what they're trying to express. But a talk with Ben Franklin would really be able to change a person's life.

18. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I'd heard of Brian Eno but my primary impression of him was that he was a record producer. I learned a lot about him from the Wikipedia article.

David Lynch is a filmmaker. I guess my first exposure to Lynch was the television series "Twin Peaks". After I "discovered" David Lynch this way, one of the first movies of his that I went back and watched was "Blue Velvet".

David Lynch is... well, he's an odd guy. He makes very strange but thought-provoking movies.

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I would like to meet Peter Jackson.....so he could give me a job...even if i have to be the coffee boy.

Bless

20. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Oh.

I like to read a lot, and so most of the people that I'd like to meet are authors. Assuming that we're talking about people who are still alive, some of those people would be:
    • Malcolm Gladwell, author of The Tipping Point and Blink, is one of my favorite non-fiction writers. I'd like to talk with him about whatever he feels like talking about. I'm pretty sure it would be interesting.
    • Douglas Coupland is one of my favorite novelists. I would tell him about the time I was sick in the hospital and one of my best friends brought me a copy of Microserfs, the first Douglas Coupland book I ever read. I still have that book and it's still my favorite of all of his books.
    • Anne Tyler is another one of my favorite novelists. I would thank her especially for writing Breathing Lessons, and ask her some questions about it.

21. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Such a tough question. We all have preconceived ideas about people and how they should be. I think I would need to spend a bit more time than just a quick meeting. Let's say a few days over drinks at an exclusive resort...

1. Leonardo Da Vinci
    2. John Cleese
    3. Roger Waters
    4. Robin Williams
    5. Steve Jobs

P.S. - I can't help but think about "Bill & Ted's Great Adventure" when they gathered noted people throughout history for their school presentation, including Abraham Lincoln, Beethoven, Billy the Kit, Jesse James, Genghis Khan, Napoleon....

22. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

Off the top of my head, I'd have to say I'd most like to meet Richard Dawkins. There aren't too many people in the world willing to be so brutally honest about science, truth, and religion. Even more importantly, he has spent his career fighting the good fight for science

23. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Have some kids. They're great to play with!

On topic: I'd like to meet Desmond Tutu.

24. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

25. mannix87 macrumors 6502

1) Da vinci
    2) Charles Darwin
    3) Galileo
    4) Ferdinand Magellan
    5) John Lennon
    6) George Gershwin
    7) Mozart

for more prurient interests: Raquel Welch when she was 20 yrs old and Scarlett Johansson.