If you could start your life over. . . .

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MACDRIVE, Mar 8, 2007.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

If you could start your life over, how far back would you go?

Myself, I would only need to go back to the beginning of 2001. ;)

The ground rules:

1) You're not allowed to prevent any major historical event from happening; it might cause two universes to collide or something. :p

2) You're not allowed to save anyone's life; unless you were the cause of their fate. :eek:

3) If you go back, you have to stay there; you can't come back to the present. This would mean that you might have to relive some unpleasant events in order to change your own destiny, or to erase a personal tragic mistake. :cool:

2. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Back to grade 11 in high school... many regrets and incidences that only now are beginning to have their effect.

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I just read something on digg.com that a scientist said he proved that you can not go back in time, He said you could go forward though.:eek:

Really when I think about it. I would not want to go back in time.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

All the way...

5. chasemac macrumors 6502a

chasemac

1984 was a good year.:D

6. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Although there were some incidents in my life where I'd like to see how they would turn out if I would behave in a different way as I did then, I would not go back in time because I'm perfectly happy with how things are now.

7. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

1995, just to see how differently things could have been. make completely different choices, go to entirely different places, because you've already done what you've done before. 1995 specifically b/c nothing really happened before then.

8. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Wouldnt starting over mean starting at the beginning? :rolleyes: :D

Ooh that made me giggle... DAMN IT... i spat on my monitor. Im coming for you MACDRIVE.

9. nplima macrumors 6502a

To make it more interesting: would you go back in time if you'd subtract those years from your normal life expectancy?

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Most interesting question?

Also, while the OP asked about going back in time, what if you could peer into the future. Would you want to do it?

The reason that I pose this question, is that while we all could fix mistakes that we made in the past, if we could look to the future we might be able to avoid them in the first place.

11. MacAnkka macrumors regular

I have no idea, maybe the 7th-9th grade, there are a lot of things I would like to do differently then.

As for Sushi's question, I wouldn't like to see the future, it would make life way too boring, knowing what to avoid and what to do. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind looking in to the future to check the answers for the coming Matriculation examinations, which are in less than a week for me :p .

12. noaccess macrumors 6502

I'll have to assume that, when you do go back to start over, you'll have to keep the knowledge you had before going back, or else you won't be able to change anything, and things'll go just as they would normally do.

Say, I chose to go all the way back to right after I was born, because I have lots of things to fix. That way, people will think of me as some sort of baby genius, because I'll be able to walk & talk at that age. So I'll be able to fix not-so-perfect events that I, or someone else, should have done differently, plus... people will worship me :D.

OK, just kidding :).

I'll vote yes. I'm only 17 anyway, and I'm confident that if I could go back a few years, say... 7 years (the first part of the post was really just an example/theory thing), I could be able to fix quite a few things. I'd give away 7 years of my life if that made for a better conscience, that some things went better for a few people.

13. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

14. BarryW macrumors member

I don't think I would change anything. Things have not worked out exactly as planned yet, and might never but you can always work towards it.

I would not want to go back in time and fix things and I would also not want a peak into the future(assuming its possible, and the implications of destiny etc would have to be considered).

I think if you go bank once into the past you will end up always going back again and again. Effectively living in the past and not progressing.

Same story as seeing the future, you will be so fixated in trying to change things that you will miss out on the present.

Just to diverge slightly:

How would this going back in time thing work would you still remember the "future" as you would have to go back to the age you were during that time period. If you can't remember the future, what would be the point as you would probably make the same mistakes.

15. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Go back to 6th or 7th grade so I could get counseling for depression instead of waiting thirty years. :eek: :)

16. mrthieme macrumors regular

I want to go back 2 days, with yesterday's lottery numbers.

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Good point!

Focus on the present instead of focusing on what could have been.

18. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Oddly enough I think if I were to go back 20 years, I would actually come out ahead in the deal. If living longer is really ahead.

19. mpw Guest

Ooooo hard choice. Trouble is I'd love to have the chance to not do some stuff and the chance to do some other stuff, but the stuff I've done has lead me to some really good stuff that I couldn't possibly risk not having. Knowing now what I want I could go and find it earlier, but would it be the same or did I need to find it at the point I did....??

Either 16years or 12years or 7years or 6years all low points I'd love to avoid.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Back to when I was finishing high school and selecting a course/program for university.

I'm not dissatisfied with my life, but I'd probably go back in time just because I'm a curious mofo.

21. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I would go back to 7th grade... And from there, hopefully fix the few regrets I have.

But the thought of doing all that work of middle school and high school would be horrible!!

22. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

I'd go back in time and prevent you lot from coming back in time to fix your lives.

Expect a lot of head kicking as you appear through the portal of the time vortex.

23. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Ah, but my "life fixing" would involve being on fire a lot more, so you'd probably just get set on fire.

Which would serve you right for being alive.

24. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

I would be wearing flameproof boots. DUDE, I am from the FUTURE after all.

Yeah, you are getting pounded.

25. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Two things.

1) Quit trying to pound me.

2) I was born in a future FAR MORE futuristic than yours, so I would come through ON FIRE IN MY FLYING CAR. Take that! You and your boot-technology. Pffft.