If you could travel to the future, when would it be?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Mr. Anderson, May 6, 2002.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So this is directly in response to the travel back in time threads, but I figured I go in the opposite direction. I'd like to go 50 years in future and see where we've gotten. I might still be alive and I'd like to hear what I'd have to say to myself. And of course go out and get the newest Apple Mac available to bring home.....

2. Choppaface macrumors 65816

3. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

I'd go to when the G5 is released, of course! :D

Seriously though, I'd have to choose to jump to when we make first contact with another civilisation. That would be a truly mind-blowing time to experience... assuming they are peaceful.

4. macstudent macrumors 6502

macstudent

I would go into the future by a few months and determine what the stock market would be like, maybe the lotto too. Then retire at the age of 21:)

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I know this is gonna sound cheezy...

but I'd go ahead to the future to when my lady & I can finally have a life together....

long distance relationships suck....and the suspense is killing me!!! ;)

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

what if in 50 years the world as we know it is... no more?

that'd be interesting. to see how the environment has developed... ie, continued to deteriorate rapidly or if things have been done to stop the pollution and such..

7. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

I'm not so sure I'd want to go to the future. Maybe to July 16th so I can see what will get released...

But going to the future would really ruin everything. The thrill of life is not knowing what will happen. Sure its also what sucks about life, but without the part that sucks, there is no good.

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I would go a few months into the future, get the winning lottery numbers, when it peaks again (over 100 million :D ) like it did not too long ago here in MA. I would then play those numbers. I would then decide what to do after that. If possible, I would travel into the future again, and bring back some cool tech. Nothing too wild, just some things that would make my own life better (like a G6 based PowerBook :D ).

Those are the first things I would do, I'm sure that I could come up with more, depending on how many time trips we are allowed. :D

9. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i would go into the future and then come back and win a heck of a lot of money and help the poor in this country and all others around the world but i would do it as annonymously as humanly possible

wipe out diseases and war, and solve the population explosion

with the knowledge of knowing the outcomes of gambling and stock market trends, one could literally make billions of dollars in a short period of time and have the leverage of a bill gates

i think bill gates realizes how rich he is and on some level, that he won't live forever and knows that only good deeds with his money can live on after he is gone thirty or so years from now

carnegie's giving is still paying off and most people today have no idea when he lived, or how powerful he was, and what a formidable opponent he was in the business world of his time

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

damn...

am I the only one who's thining about puppy dogs & ice cream?! :eek: :rolleyes:

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Puppy dog ice cream??? with or without the fleas??? LMAO

12. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    wouldn't do it

maybe i'm taking this thread too literally, but i really see no need in visiting the future.

i like seeing it just a little at a time.:)

13. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Wow

So am I the only one who did not have $$$ immediately jump into their head with the suggestion of time travel?

14. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I would go and get the next years worth of lotto numbers
    and to macworld 2010

15. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    Re: Wow

i'm with you there.

besides, i don't think a person could get the lotto numbers because they are random. just like the future. the door that gets you to the future must be re-entered to get back to the present which creates an event that hasn't happened. therefore the lotto numbers picked would still be entirely random and have no relation to the numbers you saw in the future.

16. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

yeah, i agree. as much as i want to hate him... he seems to be somewhat socially aware... this is something from an online news article around the recent WTO meetings in nyc (recent meaning a few months ago). but i don't have the link anymore, just this excerpt.

"Microsoft Corp. Chairman Bill Gates warned that the terms of international
    trade were too favorable to the rich world, a disparity that feeds
    resentment.

'People who feel the world is tilted against them will spawn the kind of
    hatred that is very dangerous for all of us,' Gates said. 'I think it's a
    healthy sign that there are demonstrators in the streets. They are raising
    the question of "is the rich world giving back enough?'"'"

17. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i would go forward in time until there were really good race tracks and motorbikes that could reach 600KM/H. that would be awesome!! racing that is extreme-G and Wipeout style!!!:D :D :D

18. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I'd travel forward to the weekend, so i can sleep in late :rolleyes:

Really though, life is just too much fun to want to miss out on any of it. I'd much rather have to work towards something, than be able to take shortcuts whenever things are a little tough.

Yeah, i'm into the self-punishment thing :D

19. iGav macrumors G3

The year 2525, just to see if what the song says, will come true......!!

Maybe somewhere really far off in the future...... 3535 will do...... the world, humans everything will be really different by then.....

20. vitruvius macrumors regular

the future is here

-hey where do you get that Chromiun G7 PowerBook with that holographic Display???
    -not "where" my friend... but "when"....:eek:

21. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I would like to go some time so far in to the future when no one remember anything about this years. May be 2000 in to the future.

22. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm really surprise on how many people want to jump ahead, get the winning lotto numbers and then come back so they could win.

Anyone see Vanilla Sky with Tom and Penelope Cruz? What if it were a oneway trip....now that might make things a little different. Its sort of what all the cryo-people are going to have to deal with if they ever figure out how to unfreeze them and be able to repair all the celluar damage done by ice chrystals.

23. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

There's a whole lot of fun stuff we could discuss here...

Does freewill exist? If you do go into the future, can you actually do anything about getting back to the 'present'? Or are your actions in the future predetermined?

Why have we not seen time travelers? Is it because when they get back in time, they have no control over what they do - their actions have already been determined?

And can you alter something in the past without altering the future? Can you go back in time, before you were born, and shoot your grandfather? If you can, perhaps it will not change the future because of the distinction between cause and effect. Or perhaps you can't shoot your grandfather because you do not have freewill.

What if it is ever proven that freewill does not exist? What effect would it have on humanity? Would people give up trying to make the world a better place because they cannot control it? And what of the justice system? It would surely fall apart. How can it be right to jail someone who has no control over their actions?

...I'll leave you to it. I'm off to bed!

(As a great man once said, "My brain hurts!")

24. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Temporal paradox is what you're basically talking about. It has been explained away by using the multi-verse theory which basically states that there are an infinite number of universes, a different one for every choice that possible, down to the atomic level. Its a huge concept to grasp and for me the best way to imagine exactly how big infinity is. If you think about all the protons,electrons etc. in our universe and then allow them to spin, move, combine in any number of ways and each time there is a choice, its a different universe.

So when you make a choice to cross the street now or wait till the car in the road passes, that's another universe, running parallel to ours. So if you did travel back in time, you could kill your father or even yourself and still exsist because you did it in a different universe.

Pretty crazy huh?