Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If YOU had to pick a MacBook Air, which of these 2 would you go with?

• 2015 11" MacBook Air 4/128 MJVM2LL/A

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • 2015 13" MacBook Air 8/128 MMGF2LL/A for $100 more

Votes: 72 85.7%

• Total voters

Left4DeadBoy

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2015
hi I doubt anybody requires thirteen inch size to size considerations.. its one hundred dollar higher price; is other than the point lol . If possible wait to get new Mac from Apple .

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
I love the 11" MBA. The specs on the poll are a little thin. I had a 13" MBA for a few days and returned it. The wrist rest was too deep. Uncomfortable for me. Wish TC didn't kill the 11" MBA. I guess I'll consider a Windows laptop next time to get a smaller one. Not interested in MacBook.

Reactions: eVolcre

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
Just a couple of days ago I purchased a 13" 8/256 MBA. I was also torn between the 11 and 13, but aside from the greater portability, the 11" machine is not as good a choice IMO. Using the base models for comparison $100 gets you twice the memory, an SD card slot, better battery life, and about 247,000 more pixels.

It seems that unless you REALLY need an ultra portable, the 13" MBA is a better value. Thats the choice I made since I use Lightroom/Aperture on the go at times and the bigger screen, RAM, and SD slot are a big deal if you're into photography. However, others who mainly need web browsing, email, and web processing may find portability a better choice.

Reactions: sracer

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
I chose the 13". Wanted more memory which is not upgradeable. Also wanted the SD slot. YMMV

Ditto...note, if you really really want a smaller sized laptop then 11" is nice. But I think it is too much of a compromise, with less screen real estate, and in this case, only 4GB RAM. Note, since the RAM is soldered in, you can never ever upgrade it.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
Macbook Air 11" is better because it's lightweight As a traveler who resigned from my job to travel for 2 years, I found the mba 13" too big and heavy. If you get a macbook air, try to get at least 8gb of ram, it's worth it, and 256 gb of space. I still own my 2012 mba 13", but in the future I'll definitely look in the smallest and lightest macbook notebook

Reactions: SusanK

Negan Lannister

Suspended
Dec 27, 2016
"13 but the footprint is a bit too large. Richard in Silicon Valley uses the "11 but I find that display a tad too small.

I want a MacBook Air with the same footprint as the "12 MacBook.

OldEditor

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2018
"If portability is the highest priority... then the MBA 11. The difference is significant. Otherwise the 13."

That right there was what led me to look for and buy an 11.
I have decent desktops at home and at work, and I wanted a max portable notebook. If I wanted more of main productivity machine, the 13" arguments expressed throughout this thread would probably have swayed me.
But, as is, the 11" does the job I want done.

cincygolfgrrl

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2012
Somewhere In Time
A week after I retired in January 2012, I ditched my employer-mandated PC and bought my first Mac, a mid-2011 11" MBA (i5/4/128). I could not have been happier with my purchase. Winters being what they are, even in Southwest Ohio, a year later I decided I needed a hobby—photography would be my winter activity. I bought a Nikon DSLR and invested in Lightroom. I quickly learned that my little MBA could indeed handle the large RAW images I was throwing at it, just a little slower than I hoped. No big deal; I'm retired, it's winter, and I'm not going anywhere. Eventually I decided a 27" iMac (pre-Retina) would better serve my photography needs. But I still have the trusty seven-year-old MBA that continues to handle photos during travel and is my go-to for most needs. It's my favorite computer.

Guy Clark

Suspended
Nov 28, 2013
London United Kingdom.
The MacBook Air has no Retina display so if that is not important I would suggest the 13" non Retina MacBook Pro which is user upgradeable, included Superdrive and more ports.

Although the non Retina MacBook Pro was last updated in 2012 and was removed from the Mac range in 2016 it remains a very capable machine.

Although Apple have now removed them from the Mac range they are widely available new and sealed.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Thread from December 2016...

Yeah, I agree, it seems rather dated now. I still use my 2013 i7/8gb/512gb MBA every day for general computing needs. It's been a terrific little machine. But it's showing its age, trackpad is flakey, battery isn't what it used to be. I will probably just replace instead of repairing, I could use the 512gb SSD in an external enclosure. But I think it still have some more life before that time comes. The 13" MBA doesn't interest me (I had a 2011 13" MBA but greatly prefer the 11").

Maybe we will have something more interesting to talk about soon? I saw an article elsewhere that this could appear as soon as this month. :) https://www.macrumors.com/2018/03/03/kgi-cheaper-macbook-air-2q-2018/

Conza

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2018
Australia
I have a 2013 MBA 11 with 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD, if it had a retina screen it'd be perfect (actually not even retina, just full Hd would do it). So I voted 11.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.