If you know OS8 & 9, this Thread is for YOU!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iEric, Dec 18, 2004.

1. iEric macrumors 6502a

hey y'all.

I have a friend that owns a copy shop and he uses a mac with a OS 8. He recently bought a used mac that runs OS 9. He was wondering how he could transfer all the programs, drivers from printers and copiers, and preferences so that it is the same in OS 9.

How could this be done?
    Will there be any conflicts?
    Will programs be required to be reinstalled?

The computer is a Powermac G4 (APG Graphics) Version. How many hard drives can it hold? Can he just move the hard drive from the other computer to this one? He already has 2 hard drives installed. Is there room for a third one?

Thanks for your help in advance!

2. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Plug the two computers together via Ethernet and turn AppleTalk on.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I believe he can just move the hard drive from one computer to another; the format is compatible. However, I'm not sure all the programs will run. Sometimes they install extensions and other things that need to be in the Mac OS 9 system folder. So it will be a little more complicated than that.

The best thing, as always, would be to reinstall the programs on the new computer.

For specs, check out apple-history.com. It looks like it has space for up to 3 HDs, but I'm not sure how big each HD can be.

4. iEric thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm just thinking...if I move the pref files from OS 8 to OS 9 and drivers, won't there be some conflicts cause old pref files are working with newer sys files; same with the drivers.
    I mean, OS 7/8/9 are basically the same but won't there be some conflict?

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....in most cases, pref files will not be a problem...drivers sometimes are...you can always try them and see, no (or little) harm done if you have a backup of course. How many printers/copiers are you talking here? Just check for new drivers for those items and install them after copying everything over.....oh yeah!

6. iEric thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's true...

also...do the usernames have to be the same on both operating systems?
    cause i know for OS X to copy the prefs you have to have the same shortname/username.

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

With some programs, there might be conflicts; others might work fine. The best thing would be to reinstall, but you can probably get most things to work without much problem.

8. iEric thread starter macrumors 6502a

which folders would i move? I'm not familar with OS 8/9 as I am with OS X. Where are the prefs and driver folders?
    haha I suppose the applications are in the...APPLICATIONS folder, ah? haha.

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

It sounds like iEric's buddy wants to keep both Macs running... I think.

The drivers change, but OS 8 and 9 are similar. You can try them. They will either work or not work. Or you will learn the great fun of starting up with Extensions Off... :rolleyes:

Linkety here has a great, vast, source of information of that computer. Look at it. But I do know that you can have up to 3 hard drives installed, plus an optical drive. However if you have a zip drive installed, its a no-go.

Connect the Macs via Ethernet, make sure AppleTalk is on, and move across the programs and their extensions (if any). They should be fine.

System 7 and OS 8 are drastically different. System 7.5.5 ran on the 680x0 class of processors, whereas OS 8 ran on PowerPC processors. OS 8.1 did support the last of the 68040 processors, if you want technical...

Also, OS 8 introduced a new hard drive format: HFS+. System 7 used HFS. Ever wonder what the option for "Mac OS" and "Mac OS Extended" are? Extended is HFS+, which will show up in System 7 but will no files will be able to be read.

Some history because I have time/feel like it:
    Copland was the codename for a project that ultimately failed, but the parts of which became OS 8.
    (I won't get sued, will I? :eek: I leaked!)

10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Only one user in OS 8....

Look in the System Folder->Extensions for the Extensions that you want/need for your extensions.

11. iEric thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah! Thank you so much!